how did you choos your goal weight

Options

Replies

• karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    This is a great question!!!

I used the BMI Chart and my doctor. She said that I should aim for 155-165 for my frame. (she even said 175 would be healthy)

The BMI charts are not perfect though. They don't account for lots of muscle. (Which I want to have and I am starting to get again).

I have changed my goal a few times. I think it should be more like a range. Maybe then once I get closer to that range I can see how I feel and how I look. If I have more fat to lose then I will keep going.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I did several bodyfat tests (caliper, Navy, etc), and picked an average between all of them to reach a 15-20% bodyfat goal.

That's why my goal weight is 300 rather than something lower - I made sure I knew where I was starting from instead of setting a possibly unattainable goal.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The weight I was at when I look back to that time and think "oh god I thought I was fat...." 4 and a bit stone later...
  • KirstiQue
    KirstiQue Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I chose it according to my height (5'4), healthy BMI range and how much I weighed in high school. I'm aiming for 135-145 since I know that the majority of any weight I didn't loose would be muscle gain. I'm more focused on measurements than the number on the scale to be honest.
  • rochellena
    rochellena Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight I was maintaining when I was most active. Of course, even then I thought I was a fat, disgusting mess of a human being... luckily my outlook on life has brightened a bit since those days.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    dart1.jpg
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    i didnt
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have a number in mind that is attainable. Using MFP's BMI calculator the number is alot lower so we'll see as I get closer to that number. Also I'm working out alot more than I have in along time, so with all this nutrition knowledge and weight training info well we shall see.

Im 5' 4"
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I weighed as little as 115 in high school (I am 5'7") but that took a lot of starvation. I chose my goal weight of 140 because that's where I felt I looked good and it wasn't too difficult to maintain.
  • pink_ribbon_1
    pink_ribbon_1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight that would get me just under the "overweight" BMI category. When I get there, I will evaluate and possibily set a lower goal.

Good luck!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, I chose a body fat percentage in conjunction with a weight goal. My goal weight, though, would put me back at 185 lbs and 7% body fat. According to worthless BMI charts, I'd be obese. Know what? I don't care how it categorizes me because a range of 122 to 161 lbs is too small even for my small frame.
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I used the "average" weight of a person who is my height and build (Big boned lol) which was 175- but recently- I had a test done that showed my bone density with muscle was around 210 lbs... So I will have to lose muscle to get to goal weight.... Idk. Still aiming for 175
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Fortune cookie told me.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I talked with my doctor.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    dart1.jpg

Basically this

I know what I look like at 140lbs and I'd like to be less so I started with 135 as a goal.
    Probably will go to 130 but I don't know really
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    In high school I weighed 120, so I figured 130 was a good weight
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Two years ago, when I first lost weight, I was just tired of being fat and appalled at myself that I'd gotten to 200 pounds. I didn't really have a goal. Got down to 165 and decided to try to stick within a few pounds of that for a while, since I'd been eating at a deficit for 6 months and thought I should give my body a break.

Now I want to get down to 150-155 and see if I can lose belly fat and maybe run a little faster. Started at 170, am about 166 now. 5'7".
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I pondered it while eating this

hot dogs + sharp cheddar + lean hamburg + Thick cut hickory bacon + Sweet Baby rays bbq sauce + TURTLE BURGERS!

turtleburger_zpsd3c3ca9c.jpg

made mac n cheese with bacon bits stuffed jalapeno meatloaf wrapped in apple cider cured BACON!! It...was...epic!!!!

BACONLoaf_zps388e4620.jpg
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I was highly scientific about the whole process:

1 ton divided by 8 equals 250.

That seems like a good goal to have
  • reese307
    reese307 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i picked my high school weight