Phentermine... yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    How do you get Phentermine? is it prescribed by a doctor?

Yes. I go to a dietician and the copay is 25 and phentermine perscription is 20 ( I do not have insurance) Just shop around for dieticians in your area and make sure whoever you go to monitors vitals because if they don't they are putting your health in danger.

Do you have to be in the "overweight" section of the BMI?

I sure hope so. :noway: :noway:

And yes, dear kittielea, it certainly should.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The weight comes back when you stop taking it because once the medication is out of your system, then your appetite goes back to normal, hence the reason why it is a proven fact that lasting weight loss requires a lifestyle change. Pills will give you fast weight loss, as will surgery, but if you don't change the way you eat and your relationship with food, you WILL gain it back.

Right, and the pills help you take control of your appetite, just like pills are used to help people stop smoking and weight loss surgery like the lap band and gastric sleeve.

So why all the hate for pills but no hate for people who had their stomach adjusted? Seriously?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Sadly, you can buy anything on the internet. Are they going to be the real deal, that if the risk you take!
  • professorRAT
    Options
    The weight comes back when you stop taking it because once the medication is out of your system, then your appetite goes back to normal, hence the reason why it is a proven fact that lasting weight loss requires a lifestyle change. Pills will give you fast weight loss, as will surgery, but if you don't change the way you eat and your relationship with food, you WILL gain it back.

Right, and the pills help you take control of your appetite, just like pills are used to help people stop smoking and weight loss surgery like the lap band and gastric sleeve.

So why all the hate for pills but no hate for people who had their stomach adjusted? Seriously?

Because pills are full of chemicals!!!

eta: enable your sarcasm font
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    150410_ALICE_LAND.jpg
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Sadly, you can buy anything on the internet. Are they going to be the real deal, that if the risk you take!

The pills on the internet are just caffeine pills. Don't even bother. Phentermine is a controlled substance and is 99% impossible to get without a doctor's prescription (and rightfully so). A doctor needs to monitor you for heart issues.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Just like any other diet or medication the weight will come back if you don't change your eating habits. Let's say you stop taking that pill and your appetite returns, later you choose to eat crap and binge than of course the weight will come back. If you pick up healthy eating habits while taking the pill, and plan to continue those once you're off the pill the weight will come off or you'll maintain! I should look into that too...
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion and experience on diet pills is they can be used to be a good jump starter, but ultimately it takes a lot of hard work, a permanent lifestyle change and unfortunately longer than expected to see your final results.

in 2008 I took phentermine, which is a prescription diet pill (dosage 37.5 mg) for approx. 4 weeks, the first week alone I lost 9 lbs., but I didn’t stop there, I started walking every night and got my way up to 5 miles a night, and then started adding yoga and kick boxing into my routine, at the end of 3 1/2 months I had lost 42 lbs. I tracked everything I ate, and of course I had indulgent nights, once in a while on a Saturday night I would eat pint of Ben & jerry's- bad I know but it was my treat and it was probably once every two weeks.
    Phentermine is only supposed to be prescribed or taken for a max of 12 weeks because of the damage it can do to your heart, and eventually they stop doing what they are supposed to do, because just like anything your body builds a tolerance to it. The side effects are almost no appetite at all, jittery feeling and sometimes rapid heartbeat and extreme dry mouth- me, being a weirdo I have a condition called paradoxical affect or something like where everything reacts backwards on me. So I ended up taking the pills at night because they made me so sleepy. The pills kill your appetite, and you literally have to force yourself to eat something at some point because your body does need nutrients.
    I stopped after 4 weeks of taking them but they were enough to get me motivated and wanting to work out. It worked as a jump start for me but they are not a long time solution. Most doctors will want you to check in every week or every two week just so they can monitor how you are doing. I wouldn’t knock you for trying them, just be careful 

Hope this helps!
  • carolyoung48
    Options
    Hi, I took it years ago and lost @ 40 pounds. I worked with a PA at my internists office and went in for frequent weight and blood pressure checks. I felt fabulous & kept the weight off for many years. Many health professionals won't prescribe it at all because it's a powerful stimulant. It is an effective appetite suppressant. It can cause high BP so get checked. Also can cause some insomnia, heart palpitations, libido changes. Quite awhile back it was part of the drug called Phen-phen that caused serious heart problems but the drug it was combined with was the main culprit. So I think that with medical supervision it is effective and can be a great aide. It can really help with motivation especially in getting started and changing eating patterns. Be careful though to eat a nutritious diet as you may just start skipping meals.
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    I was on that same dosage and regret it horribly.. Even though Phentermine gives you that energy boost we all crave and lose weight fast there is a down fall to it.. In my case after i had lost a lot of weight i stopped taking it.. And in no time (didn't change anything i was doing) I gained everything back plus some... Please don't make the same mistake i did.. You can lose the weight for good without it!. It might be hard but it will stay off!
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You do realize that Furosemide is a very potent diuretic. Also know as Lasix... the drug used to prevent racehorses from 'bleeding'. The use in racehorses is controversial, so I'm not 100% sure I would take it personally!
  • twinketta
    Options

Cubbies you are 36yo and started at 331 lbs nhatalie is 18 years old. I really do not understand how she is unable to go on a calorie deficit and do some exercise without tablets/chemicals??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    If you're going to take it FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Then yay.

If not, then NAY.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No. Temporary solution to a long term problem.
  • twinketta
    Options
    Hi, I took it years ago and lost @ 40 pounds. I worked with a PA at my internists office and went in for frequent weight and blood pressure checks. I felt fabulous & kept the weight off for many years. Many health professionals won't prescribe it at all because it's a powerful stimulant. It is an effective appetite suppressant. It can cause high BP so get checked. Also can cause some insomnia, heart palpitations, libido changes. Quite awhile back it was part of the drug called Phen-phen that caused serious heart problems but the drug it was combined with was the main culprit. So I think that with medical supervision it is effective and can be a great aide. It can really help with motivation especially in getting started and changing eating patterns. Be careful though to eat a nutritious diet as you may just start skipping meals.

Again I mention the age you are now 64? the OP is 18??? If you were 18 Carole with the knowledge available would you resort to drugs?
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I have the same question as someone else. If you are so young, what is to stop you from taking life by the horns and controlling what you do? Why not change your diet and exercise without the pill?
  • professorRAT
    Options

Cubbies you are 36yo and started at 331 lbs nhatalie is 18 years old. I really do not understand how she is unable to go on a calorie deficit and do some exercise without tablets/chemicals??

^and this.
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd do it if I needed it.
    But I take E/C and that lets me go all day without eating & then enjoying a nice large meal after my workout before bed.
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    Also please no one take this if you have a heart condition!.. Phentermine makes your heart beat a lot faster.. Btw if you have sugar problems beware... My sugar skydived a few times.. BE CAREFUL!!
  • samanthasky
    samanthasky Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nay.

Anything that is an odd quick weight loss diet is a nay for me.. I know someone who got an ear staple and lost 40 pounds.. and then gained it all back. I know someone else who did the HCG diet and they look so droopy.. and just not toned. I would rather be losing weight for 5 years and look fabulous than do a quick weight loss and have saggy skin. Just my preference.

I'm 17 by the way, and I would never take any pills.. :x