Suggestions about Oatmeal

Options
I like oatmeal but notice when I eat it for breakfast I' m hungry in about 2 hours :( Sometimes I also have a hardboiled egg, turkey sausage, or turkey bacon on the side, but I'm worried I'm adding to many calories. Any suggestions of ways to prepare it so I am full longer without it being high in calories?

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What kind of oatmeal are you eating, instant or the regular oats?

I add a tablespoon of peanut butter and raisins or banana or dried cranberries to mine. I do the 1/2 cup serving and that usually keeps me full for quite some time
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Oats, while healthy, are all carb - no protien. Outside of adding in a tbs of peanut butter, try eating some actual lean mean (forget sausage/bacon - nitrates are a moderation item) or several eggs along with your oatmeal. If you want meat that has a smokey flavor without the fat/calories - create a dry rub for a lean pork roast using steak spice and hungarian paprika (about 2/1 ratio).
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Add protein to the oatmeal or try the weight control oatmeal; it has protein added to it to try and stave of cravings.
    No matter how many times I have heard it, it took a while to sink in, but two major things to keep your hunger away - protein and water.
  • JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, what kind are you eating? If it's instant or regular, try steel cut/Irish. It's a whole product and is filling for much longer.

I add chia seeds to mine (with a little extra water). They expand in liquid, therefore keeping you fuller. I add peanut butter, banana and cinnamon. Sometimes berries and nutmeg. Anything you like. Just make sure that the portion is big enough and it's a quality oatmeal! Good luck!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Do you use sugar in it?

I eat steel cut oats every morning but don't have the hungry in a couple hours thing like you do.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    1 tablespoon of each peanut butter, ground flax seeds and splenda brown sugar blend.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I load my oatmeal up with pain Greek yogurt, fruit (berries, bananas, whatever I've got), walnuts, honey & sprinkle with cinnamon. Great protein, very filling, and it's delicious!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Some protein with the oatmeal will fill you up. Add some greek yogurt, chopped walnuts, chia seeds or flax meal. BTW - flax meal is a laxative and can cause some flatulance. HOWEVER, it is a great source of omega fats and is good for your heart.
    Fruit is also a great addition.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    What kind of oatmeal are you eating, instant or the regular oats?

I add a tablespoon of peanut butter and raisins or banana or dried cranberries to mine. I do the 1/2 cup serving and that usually keeps me full for quite some time

I was gonna say I use this caramel syrup from Starbucks thats sugar free and some stevia with cinnamon .... but then she threw PB in there and blew my *kitten* outta the water so ... yeah. Peanut Butter FTW.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Oats, while healthy, are all carb - no protien. Outside of adding in a tbs of peanut butter, try eating some actual lean mean (forget sausage/bacon - nitrates are a moderation item) or several eggs along with your oatmeal. If you want meat that has a smokey flavor without the fat/calories - create a dry rub for a lean pork roast using steak spice and hungarian paprika (about 2/1 ratio).

Actually, 1/4 cup of steel-cut oats has 7g protein, roughly the same as 1 egg.

ETA: OP, this is how I had mine yesterday, for 320 cals (50g carbs, 9g fat, 14g protein): 1/4 cup steel-cut oats, 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk, 1/2 T honey, 1/2 T dark cocoa powder, and 2 t natural peanut butter
  • steelersluver
    steelersluver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's what I make with oatmeal. The recipe makes 2 servings and you can use just egg white instead of whole egg if you want, or water instead of milk.:
    Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
    Bob's Red Mill - Old Fashioned Whole Grain Rolled Oats, 1/2 cup dry 190 32 4 7 5 1
    Giant Eagle - Fat Free Skim Milk, 1 cup 90 13 0 8 0 12
    America's Choice - Baking Powder, 0.5 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Fruit - Mixed Berries, 0.5 cup 35 9 0 1 3 5
    Bakers & Chefs - Light Brown Sugar, 1 Teaspoon 15 4 0 0 0 4
    Egg•Land's Best - Grade A Large Eggs, 1 egg 70 0 4 6 0 0
    Generic - Pure Vanilla Extract, 1 tsp 12 1 0 0 0 1
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 412 59 8 22 8 23
    Per Serving: 206 30 4 11 4 12
  • kaliso
    kaliso Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i eat steel cut oatmeal every day, 1/4C and cut up 2 morning star breakfast patty sausages and some cheese sometimes. Mix it all up and I'm full most of the morning. Love it!
  • icicles818
    icicles818 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat the regular , old fashioned oats. I usually will add cinnamon, raisins, and almonds or pecans to get some protein, but I'm so worried it will make it fattening. I also will add a little almond milk or soy milk for creaminess. I can't just eat it with water. I tried, but cant do it.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Half a cup of oats has 5 grams of protein. Not a ton, but certainly more than zero.