Can people REALLY be motivated by someone else?

Options

Replies

• s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP (original poster)'s question, for me, I am DEFINITELY motivated when I see someone who is fit (or fat) working out. It makes me realize that I, too, am capable of doing it! But, yes, you must get to a point where you really want to make a change. For me, it was going to my yearly checkup (which I hadn't been to in years) and being told I had to do something or else I may get diabetes. I went to a nutritionist and started MFP and haven't looked back.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I am only 21, so you can imagine how shocked I was when I heard that I may get diabetes.
  • junerbooner
    junerbooner Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    others might be able to encourage you...but yes, if you don't WANT it for yourself, it won't happen....

This is right, It is both, BUT YOU MUST WANT IT YOURSELF SO BADLY THAT WEAK MOMENTS OR STRESS FROM LIFE WON'T DERAIL YOU!!
    It takes dedication, perseverance, determination, and will power to eat clean while everyone around you is having the pies, cakes, pastas, junk food, etc. in front of you!! The past holidays were the major test for me. I not only watched them eat all those goodies while I had a salad; but I had to cook it too!! Friends here on MFP are super ,very supportive, and encouraging, That does help a lot, but it still comes down to YOU and what you put in your mouth and the exercise you do to improve your health!! Best of luck on your journey!!
  • missability
    Options
    First the "CLICK", then when it begins to wax and wane, and the creeps start to tug at your mind....."ah just a bite won't hurt, and I'll eat that, and start again tomorrow"...THAT'S when friends and other peoples success, empathy, pictures, struggles, etc...can keep you from giving in...at least that's how it was for me...the click came the morning of January 1st....I had been making all the plans, slowly changing things for 2 month, (since Thanksgiving), but when I woke up New Years Day, I was headed right for the kitchen to do my usual routine.....and then CLICK....IT HAPPENED, I said "NO, Not this time!!!!" Literally out-loud, I said that! And have not looked back in 37 days. I have lost 18 pounds in this past 5 weeks and I have had several little nigglings in my mind....but then I get on MFP and either start to write my blog, or look in the community for success with pics....it has been a great tool....but i needed the CLICK initially. Beth Ann
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Both but here's the other side of the motivation coin that is very vital for me and that's accountability. If I have zero external accountability I tend to slide back into old habits slowly but surely. I'm kept accountable by logging, by the scale and by the people around me. Of course the desire to achieve my goals is coming from within.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I truly find motivation and inspiration in other people. I have had so many low days, but when I see someone just hang in there and fight the fight, I get new motivation to keep on going. This has happened SO many times in my journey.
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You have to make the choice for change yourself. Others may help motivate you by telling you their stories of success and what works for them, but that may not work for you. Our individuality is what makes every person's journey in life different. I also believe that sharing your own stories help you be accountable and may be the thing that helps others stay motivated and inspired.
  • gayatrik
    gayatrik Posts: 173
    Options
    Or....does something INSIDE of each person have to "click" to change long-held behaviors? I believe it's the latter.

Your thoughts please.

the latter for sure!! My family (bros, mum, hubby) has been pushing me and trying to motivate me for an year now but never ever it clicked... unless in Jan, there was a festival and we had to go shopping and all dresses were so tight .. even then i didnt feel the heat to lose weight totally.... but again on the day of festival, my bros took some pics and i almost puked looking at my ownself and its after a week of that incident that i really moved my *kitten* and from then on trying to at least get sweated for 30 min in a day and keeping a track of what i am eating and all that...

Of course, i started to look at Success Story pics in MFP to add the fuel but the heat should start within!!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from deep within you. Its up to you to dig deep to find it.
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i think it comes from within. once you start we easily become motivated by others. i heard a saying once; after hearing it i've applied it to my life. i've referred to it over and over again. here it is, I hope it strikes a chord in just one of you and inspires...
    - if you settle for what you got, you deserve what you get -
    humm think about it, how's it apply to you & don't we all deserve better? :huh:
  • Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Certainly, seeing other peoples' progress is motivation. How we use that motivation is up to us.
  • Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it is both as well. I personally think it is easier to have a support system. My husband and I have decided to eat healthier and lose weight together. We tried this in the past, but when one of us "cheated", the other one did as well. So we are more willing to stick to the plan. If one wants to cheat on our diet/exercise program, the other has to tell them it's not a good idea. It is so easy to get into those old eating habbits, but so hard to try and dig yourself out of it again.
  • yasavi
    yasavi Posts: 30
    Options
    well, if I see someone in great shape and they have earned and struggled to get there, it makes me want it for myself. So yes, people motivate me and something inside me clicks! It's both.
  • hcokley
    Options
    I think it's mostly a personal decision to want to change. YOU have to want it. But encouragement and people noticing your efforts and progroess definitely help.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Once you want to make the change, other people can help you...

Myself... even with people wanting to help, it didn't do anything until I wanted to make the change.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I believe it's both.

People have to find their motivation within themselves, but sometimes it takes seeing someone else to make it "click". Once you're motivated on your own, it's more than possible to get extra motivation from others.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I believe it is both as well :)
  • usmc73
    usmc73 Posts: 18
    Options
    I believe that most people need a "life changing moment" in there lives that enables them to motivate themselves. Only after you have made that lifestyle change is when you need to get motivation and help from others. The beginning is the easy part sticking to it is the hard part.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    you 'click' when the time is right..you are then inspired by others to do more and carry on. I decided on a new 'lifestyle' and to lose weight..my mfp friends inspired me to do it.

and now they kick my *kitten* without mercy if i slack.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it usually involves firearms or a medieval dungeon.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I started on here without 'friends' and gained some after several months, but I found the comments to be obnoxious since they were pretty generic and nobody actually knew me anyway which made me less likely to log in and follow through on my plans, so I deleted everyone and got back on track (after not logging for several months and gaining about 12lbs back from my initial loss.) I find that my real life friends are somewhat motivating when they comment on how much better I look, but I think it mostly is internal motivation that drives me. Everyone's different, though.