Eating out with friends who try to sabotage you!

Options
2»

Replies

• lovelillies
    Options
    Well done on your strength of character :flowerforyou:
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thats how my husband is, its so annoying. He says one day isn't going to kill you, pretty much all week!! I feel you and I know how hard it is to stick to your guns.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out friends who try to sabotage me
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    The best way to deal with food pushers is to just say no.

And then, after she wastes her money on that dessert that gets thrown away, she'll remember it next time and when you say "you can order it but I'm not sharing it with you" she'll believe you.

I think in general people are just trying to be nice and share something enjoyable at best and trying to make themselves feel better about their own eating choices at worst. Either way, nobody likes throwing away money, so people usually catch on.

I agree that a little indulgence now and then is not going to wreck your progress, and I think it is much better to allow yourself things you want. But they should be things you WANT, not things you feel obligated to eat to be nice.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I use to say that to myself about my b/f .... and then realized I can say "NO"
    I'm having a salad and your gunna freakin' LIKE IT! :flowerforyou:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I say we go kick their *kitten* right now! Who's with me?!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Damn :cry:

What if I don't try to sabotage you?
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Good for you for limiting yourself to one bite of each thing you didn't really want. That is a hard for many of us and friends do it to each other all the time with no bad intentions.

I have a very hard time with this, and I'm bracing myself for a six day visit from a good friend with pretty terrible eating habits. She'll be staying with me the whole time, and I'm going to need to stay focused. I am looking forward to everything we'll do during her visit, but in the past she has gotten a huge dessert every time we've gone out to eat and tried to share it with me. This isn't her fault, but I have a tough time just having a bite... especially if a large portion is going to be thrown out. She's already talking about wanting to go to a breakfast buffet for waffles (which I will do, I'll just have to adjust my day's calories).

Then, a few weeks later another friend is visiting who likes to order Asian food takeout and get about five entrees for the two of us to split with the rationalization that we'll have leftovers for the next day. Again, I can't blame her, but I usually eat more than she does, and we both pig out. I've tried to limit what we get in the past, but I always lose because she just says, "I'll pay for it." I have an issue with compulsive eating and once something is there in front of me I have to exert a lot of control not to indulge. I often fail.

I want to spend time with my friends - I miss them and I am looking forward to seeing them. I just hope I am up to sticking to healthy eating or I could blow a couple of weeks this month. I'm also concerned about making the time to work out while they are staying with me. I feel almost as if they could "sabotage" me, but never on purpose.

I have already told them both that I am working very hard to eat a set number of calories and I'm kind of obsessive about it.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

I know there's a word missing but my inner perv loved that!

To the OP: You did amazing and I am very proud of you. So happy to call you a friend!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Not like 1 night eating out in a social situation would have killed you or made you obese again either

No, but it could have set off a binge that would have resulted in a five pound weight gain. A lot of men do not understand how vulnerable dieting women are to binging. Diets are, in my opinion, the cause of binging. It really was quite unkind of the friend to keep hammering the OP with food. Are you sure she isn't a "frenemy" OP?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'd like to congratulate you on standing your ground. That is very difficult to do!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Food represents love to a lot of people. Good for you for focusing on your goals when confronted with old routines :flowerforyou:
  • janiesue101
    janiesue101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great Job staying strong! Keep up the great work and before you know it youll have another 40 pounds off.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not like 1 night eating out in a social situation would have killed you or made you obese again either

No, but it could have set off a binge that would have resulted in a five pound weight gain. A lot of men do not understand how vulnerable dieting women are to binging. Diets are, in my opinion, the cause of binging. It really was quite unkind of the friend to keep hammering the OP with food. Are you sure she isn't a "frenemy" OP?

Good point. I forget sometimes how weak minded women are and how little control they have over their own destinies. It's a wonder they ever live past 30 without a strong man to stand over them, protect them, and cut their meat for them.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be sure to think twice before I tell a woman that she has control of her life.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Good point. I forget sometimes how weak minded women are and how little control they have over their own destinies. It's a wonder they ever live past 30 without a strong man to stand over them, protect them, and cut their meat for them.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be sure to think twice before I tell a woman that she has control of her life.

:laugh: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    LOL- just realized my typo! I wonder how many calories?!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Well done you!
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think its great you were able to stick to your guns and not indulge. It is a very tough situation you were in but I think you handled it beautifully!