Quinoa

Options
What is your favorite way to prepare quinoa? It's so easy to make and I am looking for more options so I can try to make it more often! Thanks for any input!

Replies

• mbetz65
    Options
    I like it w/ low fat feta cheese, grape tomatoes, black olives, onions/peppers.
  • IAmKellOnWheels
    IAmKellOnWheels Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I put it in soups! And using No-Salt broth with it. Just throw cooked meat and veggies and it's yummy!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I like it for breakfast. I will make a batch and stick it in the fridge. Then in the morning, I take a scoop of the cold quinoa, add a little milk to moisten it, stir in some cinnamon, maple syrup, maybe raisins, then zap it in the microwave to heat it up. If I don't do raisins, I will add other fruit when it comes out of the microwave.

My other favorite quinoa preparation is to saute some onions and garlic, add the quinoa and liquid and cook. Meanwhile, wilt down a pile of greens (spinach, chard, kale, collards...whatever you like) into some sauteed veg- I like diced carrots, onion and garlic- stir in some pine nuts, place it on top of the cooked quinoa, top with grated parmesan. It is also good with cannelini beans (or other white beans) stirred in to the spinach.
  • groke101
    Options
    I like to make it into a risotto, replacing half the rice with quinoa. It's also good added to porridge.
  • MissAnnieRosie
    Options
    Fresh cilantro, LOTS of it.
    Fresh chopped tomatoes.
    Black beans.
    Avocado.
    Some hot sauce, some salt and a BIG bowl because it's TASTY!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a majority of my lunches at work. I usually will make a batch over the weekend, pack it in to go containers and bring it to work on Monday. This is a good guess, but:

Rough chop:
    2 Red Peppers
    1 Onion (I usually just get Spanish for Quinoa)
    4 - 6 Celery Stalks
    4 - 6 Cloves of Garlic (because I love the stuff)
    1 - 2 Seranno Peppers (depending on your spice tolerance)

I'll saute this in a little oil until onions are translucent over medium heat in a pot.

Add 3 cups of chicken broth and 3 Tbs curry powder, 1 Tbs cumin, 1 Tbs salt, and 1 Tbs pepper.
    Mix for a couple of moments.

Add 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 cups of Quinoa (I happen to use CostCo's pre-washed Quinoa). I put 1 1/2 to 1 2/3 because some people like the Quinoa moist with a little sauce. Obviously if you use the smaller amount there will be a little liquid left in the pot.

Mix frequently until it comes to a boil.

Reduce heat to simmer, cover for 20 minutes.

You can eat it like this or add canned beans, drained (I like Goya black beans), to the mix.

Let me know how you like it :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum, i have it a lot, every single time i have it, i put something different in it, i like raisins and nuts tho.
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Actually gonna try a quinoa salad tonight, gonna throw in some black beans, avocado, corn, peppers, and some seasonings and some sort of light dressing. Ive also made it as a filling for stuffed peppers with chickpeas, carrots and mushrooms. that was a big hit even with the meat eaters in my family.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    With jasmine rice in a 50/50 ratio when I make stir-fry.

With nuts, dried fruit, lean chicken or tuna, Greek yogurt, garlic and black pepper when I make wraps.

With brown rice, dried fruit and nuts as a side for main dishes like salmon or pork chops.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your suggestions! I am way excited to try these out!!
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I roast some veggies with a little sea salt and olive oil...zucchini, summer squash, onions, brussels sprouts, etc...and add that to my quinoa. I sometimes top it with a little grated parm or feta too. Yummy.

Using chicken or beef broth will give it more flavor too rather than using regular water.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I made a quinoa salad the other day
    it was based on this recipe, with some modifications:

http://canadaam.ctvnews.ca/southwestern-quinoa-salad-with-chili-lime-dressing-1.1116324

quite delicious.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I make a fried rice by cooking it in vegetable broth and adding scrambled eggs, mushrooms, onions, and peas to it. Season with soy sauce and sriracha and it's so yummy!
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I pretty much use it in place of rice--so I'll do Black beans, quinoa and cheese. Or use it in a taco or something. Or make it just salt, pepper, and garlic to eat with my chicken. I don't do anything too fancy with it
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I recently made this Broccoli Quinoa casserole that was upper yummy. Here's recipe :)

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/blast-from-the-past-with-a-new-twist/
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2013/01/red-quinoa-with-pistachios

I'm making this tomorrow night for Valentine's Day!
  • shapeup6
    shapeup6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I mix quinoa with a little bit of shredded mozzarella, tomato sauce, garlic, bread crumbs and spinach and stuff it inside a pepper for stuffed peppers. It's delicious!
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    bump
  • auranda
    auranda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • practicalwisdom
    Options
    I really like quinoa salads. Just cook some quinoa and throw in slivered almonds, cranberries, carrot, and kale while it's still warm. Very yummy!