Recipes containing wheat is actually bad for you

Options
13»

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Doctors who have a hypothesis about something like this do scientific research and publish their results in peer-reviewed journals. They do not write fear-mongering books about their ideas in order to make more money.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12566142

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=807124

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0939475307000026

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=807108

http://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11883-004-0081-y

Oh, and there are so many more of those. This is coming from someone who has a gluten intolerance and does not consume wheat.

I agree with you.

Person who has full blown celiac disease (treated by a gluten free diet)

If I could eat wheat, I would. 2/3s of the population has no problem with wheat and will never have a problem with it, they don't have the HLA type to get celiac disease. As a side note, I was much thinner when I ate wheat.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are making great arguments. I am really enjoying the intelligent responses.

I'm going to be straight with you. You are falling so far into the stereotypical, "Post controversial, highly unsupported 'research' with a grammatically incorrect title; respond to all thoughts disagreeing with extreme passive-aggression" right off the bat that I can't tell if you're just an observer posting a joke or actually falling into that stereotype.

LOL!!!!! Agreed!!!!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are making great arguments. I am really enjoying the intelligent responses.

I remember when I read a book once. I knew everything.
    Then I got older and forgot.

So sad.

LOL

True story in my case heeeee!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Doctors who have a hypothesis about something like this do scientific research and publish their results in peer-reviewed journals. They do not write fear-mongering books about their ideas in order to make more money.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12566142

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=807124

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0939475307000026

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=807108

http://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11883-004-0081-y

Oh, and there are so many more of those. This is coming from someone who has a gluten intolerance and does not consume wheat.

I agree with you.

Person who has full blown celiac disease (treated by a gluten free diet)

If I could eat wheat, I would. 2/3s of the population has no problem with wheat and will never have a problem with it, they don't have the HLA type to get celiac disease. As a side note, I was much thinner when I ate wheat.

+1. My mom has celiac, and she was always much thinner when she ate wheat (yay for intestines and villi attacking themselves and not being able to absorb nutrients). This whole "wheat makes you fat" argument is kind of funny coming from her perspective.... lol.
  • rluedtke
    Options
    Gluten free foods are actually higher in calories.
  • rm7161
    Options
    Gluten free foods are actually higher in calories.

Yup. I've mentioned that before here. A lot of celiac patients gain weight, and this is one of the reasons aside the fact that when the gut heals, foods are digested much better. In a person with a normal gut, the higher calories are going to have the same effect.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The cardiologist believes wheat is the single biggest contributor to the country's obesity epidemic,

That's where I stopped reading.

I didn't even get that far.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options

How about people stop blaming restaurants, ingredients, manufacturers, farmers, their mom, their neighbor, their spouse or their dog for making them fat. It's time everyone accepts the fact that they ate too much damn food and gained a crap ton of weight from it.

All this does is push blame away from the individual. People will see this and start to believe it wasn't the 5000 calories per day that made them fat. It was the wheat roll they had with their 2000 calorie dinner.
    [/quote]

AMEN
    [/quote]

Spot on!
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    random-gif-random-14336715-290-214.gif
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I used to poo poo the idea of wheat sensitivity as just some dietary hypochondriac hysteria. Other than the few honest to goodness full-blown celiacs who must avoid gluten for documented medical reasons, I thought the rest of the wheat avoiding crowd was nuts. It wasn't until I learned by accident that I was wheat intolerant that I bought into any of it. Going wheat-free was the best thing I ever did for my health! Is wheat unhealthy for everyone? Probably not. But it was tearing my body to shreds.. my joints were so aching that I couldn't even close my hands into a fist and I could barely walk after my shift at work. Within the first month of giving up wheat (and other cereal grains for now) I had no joint pain and I felt fabulous.

Yes, we all know that celiacs need to go gluten free.. but there are many non-celiacs out there who are sensitive to wheat to varying degrees. If you suspect that you may be wheat sensitive, then try giving it up for a month and see what happens. If you don't think you're sensitive to wheat then go on and enjoy your bread... and have a slice of fresh baked whole wheat bread slathered with apple butter for me because GOD, I sure do miss it!

BTW, I do have better appetite control than I did before I gave up the wheat. I used to eat about 95% from whole grains and it still was a very strong appetite stimulant for me and I could EASILY eat 1000 calories from just fresh baked whole wheat bread alone (not even with butter on it) in a single sitting because something about it just made me want more and more and more.. other foods that I like like steak, or lobster, or pears don't have this effect on me but OMG bread, glorious bread, I just couldn't get enough! I guess even though it's a pain in the petutties, It really is a blessing in disguise that I learned of my wheat sensitivity, because does keep me away from a lot of the high calorie foods that I love.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite recipe containing wheat:

Recipe Type: All Grain
    Yeast: S-05 SafAle American
    Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
    Original Gravity: 1.046
    Final Gravity: 1.009
    IBU: 15
    Boiling Time (Minutes): 30
    Color: 4 SRM
    Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days, 65 F
    Tasting Notes: See below.

Recipe for 75% efficiency, 5.5 gallons

4.5 lbs Wheat Malt, German (2 SRM)
    3.5 lbs Pale Ale Malt, US (2 SRM)
    1 lb Flaked Wheat (1.6 SRM)
    0.5 lbs Munich Malt (9 SRM)
    0.5 lbs Rice Hulls

1.5 oz Hersbrucker (3.5%) for 30 min
    0.5 oz Tettnang (3.2%) for 15 min
    0.5 oz Tettnang (3.2%) for 0 min

SafAle American Ale Yeast (S-05)

Mash for 60 min at 152 F

Fermented at 65 F for 2 weeks, then bottled.

This is why I :heart: Kortney.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I'm going to be straight with you. You are falling so far into the stereotypical, "Post controversial, highly unsupported 'research' with a grammatically incorrect title; respond to all thoughts disagreeing with extreme passive-aggression" right off the bat that I can't tell if you're just an observer posting a joke or actually falling into that stereotype.

This is the second time today you've made me swoon....

Truth. Why have I not FR'd sip?
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I used to poo poo...

gross.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

How about people stop blaming restaurants, ingredients, manufacturers, farmers, their mom, their neighbor, their spouse or their dog for making them fat? It's time everyone accepts the fact that they ate too much damn food and gained a crap ton of weight from it.

All this does is push blame away from the individual. People will see this and start to believe it wasn't the 5000 calories per day that made them fat. It was the wheat roll they had with their 2000 calorie dinner.

*claps*
  • rm7161
    Options
    but there are many non-celiacs out there who are sensitive to wheat to varying degrees.

My doctor in Europe was one of those people, and hers was a full blown wheat allergy. That's worse than celiac disease...

Wheat does not make you eat more. There are studies on obese patients who have trouble remaining compliant to diets that points to completely other causes for the issues. For me, it was cutting back total carbs at a sitting (not low carb though), and upping my protein intake to increase satiety. Note gluten free had not a thing to do with it, because I gained the weight on a gluten free diet too.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Quote: Recipes containing wheat is actually bad for you.
    Correction: Recipes containing wheat ARE actually bad for you.

Now that your grammar is fixed, that article proves nothing. I will remain agnostic towards wheat for now. Thank you.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You made the bread sad

bread-sad-face.jpg
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha...Beer!