NO I'M NOT PREGNANT!!!

Options

Replies

• DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think of it as my own personal social rule to never ask anyone that question. I know that I look pregnant in certain outfits and on certain days, but I would be CRUSHED if someone asked me.
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    im a 31 male.. and I get the same question asked to me to.
    LMAO.....
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I was asked that once. The actual question was "Ooooo, bun in the oven?" while the guy eyed my stomach and rubbed his belly. My jaw dropped and I just stared and slowly shook my head. Thankfully, he "punished" himself, saying "Oh God, Oh God, I'm such an idiot, I'm so sorry," and slapped himself. Considering the source, I wasn't TOO hurt, especially since I was wearing a draping shirt-dress thing...but it stuck with me and I swore I would never let myself be at a point where I could be asked that again. It's an even bigger fear of mine now than it was then because I never thought that would happen to me.

If it does, I'm using the "No, just fat" comeback. I'd to hear their response.
  • carfamily08
    Options
    Don't people know by now...unless the baby is actively coming out (and even then, it's iffy), you DON'T ask someone that! :P

YES!
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    People at work started asking me that about 4 years ago and now as I type this my stomach feels awful! I don't know how people do it. It especially make me feel sad because one I have no kids and two before age 39 I had absolutely no fat there.
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I feel so bad for you. That is a horrible thing to say to someone. I think people should think before they speak. People do not realize how much words hurt a person and how much impact they may or may not have. I feel your pain.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How do u make it STOP!!
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It drove me nuts even when I was pregnant...I was 6 or 7 months along and people would tell me I looked like I was ready to pop any minute.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I should be flattered that a woman asked me if I was pregnant as I'm age 52, but I'm not with child, just struggling with a life long see-saw of weight gain/loss. I need to lose 30 lbs to be in my healthy weight range, and I know that tools like MFP are what really work - that and motivation from others. I'm hoping to run into that same woman at this time next year and see what she has to say....:wink:

GREAT ATTITUDE!
  • Quiche867
    Quiche867 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It happened to me a few weeks ago at a funeral..very loudly in front of a large group of people. I almost asked our Dearly Departed to move over. :ohwell: (he would have found the humor in that, and that's the only thing that made me feel better about it).

She brought it up AGAIN later in front of people and apologized. Then she asked me if we ever feed my stepson. I hope I never see her again... :grumble:
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Shame on women for asking anyway, they have to all know how this things works even if their skinny. Surely they have known at least of someone who has had this happen to them.

I wonder if it's just a reason for talking about themselves. I play it safe if I'm wanting to start a conversation, weather is a safe one or just how about "How are you doing today"
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It happened to me a few weeks ago at a funeral..very loudly in front of a large group of people. I almost asked our Dearly Departed to move over. :ohwell: (he would have found the humor in that, and that's the only thing that made me feel better about it).

She brought it up AGAIN later in front of people and apologized. Then she asked me if we ever feed my stepson. I hope I never see her again... :grumble:

I'm thinking I would have taken her out, geesh that is just rude.
  • lucyinthesky2007
    lucyinthesky2007 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This exact senerio is what made me decide to work my butt off to loose the weight. People can be such jerks!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I am really trying hard to imagine the thought process that goes into asking someone ..."Are you pregnant?". Is it like.oO0( OMG I just HAVE to know if this person standing next to me in line at the bank is PG. I won't be able to sleep tonight and my life will never be the same if I don't find out. )

The only thing I could think might come out would be something more like "When are you due?", but that would be like you really really can tell and it's not just ambiguous in any way. I personally have only asked someone that after noticing their belly, returning to whatever I was doing. AND THEN further noticing her discomfort and shifting her belly in that way that you do when the baby has dropped or is just kicking a lot and making you very uncomfortable. And even then I only asked because it looked like she needed some support, like RIGHT NOW! Not just to satisfy my own curiosity.

I think that should be a rule for all questions, if it's just for your curiosity, don't be selfish and risk offending someone. Just don't. Plus, even actual pregnant women don't always appreciate all that attention, the questions, the belly rubbing, all of it. I mean we don't just go up and notice if a person has clearly had a breast enhancement, "What size did you get?" and start rubbing them "cause they're cute", or out of curiosity, or any other reason. We don't touch a man's arms when they're clearly rock hard from lifting, we just don't to those things why is a belly, pregnant or otherwise such a big draw? Does it have something to do with Buddha, is he real and this is a cosmic yearning to go around rubbing or commenting on belly's every chance we get?
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    At my job, the secretary, is pregnant but she is skinny too, so none, could "see" it until she was 5 months. A few weeks ago, (she was 7.5 months) I told her that another woman in the job was with flu, so she would better be careful.
    A total stranger, who was there, listening, told me "You should also be careful!!!!! In what week are you?"
    I answered...
    "No, Anne, has a baby, I have chocolates and greek-honey Christmas cookies".
    She must have felt so embarrassing, cause she immediately told "Oh... I'm sorry... you aren't fat!!! You look like you are 1-2 months, like you haven't go to the toilet " (yeah... for like a month???? I thought) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, we have all heard stories of people making the faux pas of asking someone if they were pregnant when they are not! If you don't have something to say and want to make small talk there is always the weather. :smile:

Yes--I wait until a woman mentions something about being pregnant, or "when this little one comes" or something like that before I say anything. The only exception was my dental hygienist. The previous visit she had been talking about her four-year-old and how much she wanted a baby brother or sister for her and that she hoped she would be pregnant soon. She apparently gained a lot of weight (only in her abdominal area) between that visit and the next one. I, assuming that she had become pregnant since the last visit, congratulated her. When she said she wasn't pregnant and looked so sad, I felt really, really awful.:embarassed: I apologized at the time and then I sent her a note to try to encourage her. Happily, the next time I went in, she was pregnant and chatting away about when the new baby would be here.
  • sarahfashion861
    sarahfashion861 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I work in retail and had some say when are you due lol. I was like sorry I am not pregnant. People are crazy!
  • Schellsisbacktoattack
    Options
    Hi!!! you can totally add me too! more support the better! I was asked that too, over the summer. I am totally not pregnant, never was and have no idea if I ever will be. I was kinda speechless when I was asked, wasn't a fun experience, think I just said no, and laughed it off. BUT really felt weird and awful at the same time. =? totally get it! yeah some people just don't think! lol
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It was the head bell ringer at church who said 'We've been wondering if you're pregnant,' so it had become a matter of gossip, not just one person's rudeness! I said no, I was just fat, and then, when I lost the weight, he would keep saying 'Don't lose any more!' as if he was anxious he'd pushed me into starving myself :laugh:

Church is where I've had the most comments about weightloss too. I guess, when people see you once a week they notice changes more than if they saw you every day.

I am pregnant now, and the youth leader told the vicar, so now I'm guessing everyone knows!
  • Travelchiick
    Travelchiick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Count me in