What do you feed your Pets?

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Our dog and cat eat Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul (and Cat Lovers Soul). It is the best brand that we have found and my boyfriend used to work at a pet store so he knows his stuff :)
  • cheerupbrighteyes
    cheerupbrighteyes Posts: 37 Member
    My cats eat blue buffalo sensitive stomache and simply nourish. It has really helped the stool smell and made it more solid, especially for my kitten (almost a year). Simply nourish is mostly for my other cat who really dislikes blue, and I get a free bag of it every month (perk of working at a pet store).
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    I currently feed my cat purina naturals. I used to feed my last cat organic and all natural food but it really adds up sadly.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    We have a loaner dog right now while her owners are on hols

563762_10151491435750420_421909311_n.jpg

She is a miniature pincher and such a gorgeous creature ..... and yes she sleeps with a warm bear :)

She has 120g of slow cooked meat (fish, chicken or stewed beef) with 120g of dried food daily and seems to be thriving on it
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    UPS men.

Jehovah's witnesses and door-to-door sales men.
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    Arcana for the dogs (3), excellent ingredients and nothing imported as is so often the case with grocery and big chain food. For the cats, "Chicken Soup for Pet Lovers - cats" - No byproducts, bonemeal, or chemicals for our pets. And even though we are vegetarians, we aren't turning our pets into the same - cats are obligate carnivores, they must have meat - as for the dogs, they love some veggies but also need a well rounded diet. We have too many veggie/vegan friends who want to turn our pets into something they are not!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    I have 2 Italian greyhounds. They are littermates and will be 11 soon.
    I feed a mix of raw meat (Blue Ridge Beef) and Blue Buffalo Wilderness. This week's mix has 2 lbs Blue Ridge Beef Puppy Mix (mix of muscle meat, organs, bones and fat), 2 lbs Duck with Bone (whole duck, minus feathers), 8 oz collard greens (pureed in food processor), a handful of blueberries, half a stick of butter, a big spoonful of coconut oil, a little vitamin A, a tablespoon of a skin and coat oil, and a couple tablespoons of Missing Link Hip & Joint. I put all the vegetables in the microwave with the fats until the collards are bright green and squishy. The processing and the cooking are to break the veg down a bit to be like stomach contents of a prey animal. The extra fat is because dogs do very well on high fat, moderate protein, low carb diets. My girl also has a slight tendency for seizures and the extra fat keeps the seizures away. The blueberries are there for antioxidants and as a natural deodorizer. I put everything in my mixer and then portion into ice cube trays. My boy Zen (my avatar) gets 1.5 cubes per meal and my girl Fade gets 1. Then I add a handful of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Breed.
    I know it sounds like a lot of work but I just make a big batch every 2 weeks and the benefits are worth the extra effort. I got lazy last winter and was feeding a mix of Wilderness canned and dry. Fade was losing interest in her food. Zen really worried me. The tips of his ears were getting crusty, he stopped jumping on the bed (and he LOVES the bed), he was reluctant to go down the stairs and sometimes when I picked him up, he would cry. That broke my heart. I took him to the vet and we found out the heads of his femurs are a little flattened and he had mild arthritis. We added Cosequin to his food but after 3 weeks there was no improvement. I finally gave in and started feeding raw again. A week later he was flinging himself into bed and flying down the stairs. He's not 100% but he is pretty good for a dog who will be 11 in a few weeks. And his sister is back to devouring her meals and trying to steal her brother's. She's also been seizure-free for months.
    They're my pups. They share my home and my life. They turned a couple into a family. I will do my best for them.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Nutro Venison and Potato
  • Iams large breed puppy for the dogs and whatever is cheap for the cats!

I want to eventually put everyone on a raw diet, but I haven't gotten there yet
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Diamond Brand grain/gluten/wheat-free kibble. Keeps them tear-stain free and they don't chew their paws.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Iams large breed puppy for the dogs and whatever is cheap for the cats!

You can find a much better food for the same price as Iams!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ is a good site to use for finding a good brand- also google search to see what if any recalls are on the food. MOST of the foods you find at the grocery store are NOT good. They have heavy corn and by products.

I feed the cat Kroger brand (I am switching him to a better food after this bag runs out though) and right now i feed all 4 dogs Chicken Soup.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Sophie gets Blue Buffalo's Small Breed Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe :smile:

And she just LOVESSSS Blue Buffalo's Banana and Yogurt Mini Bars :love:

2zzoyft.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Iams large breed puppy for the dogs and whatever is cheap for the cats!

You can find a much better food for the same price as Iams!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ is a good site to use for finding a good brand- also google search to see what if any recalls are on the food. MOST of the foods you find at the grocery store are NOT good. They have heavy corn and by products.

I feed the cat Kroger brand (I am switching him to a better food after this bag runs out though) and right now i feed all 4 dogs Chicken Soup.

thank you, but as I mentioned I am eventually going to switch everyone to a raw diet.
    the pups get loads of raw bones and necks and stuff now, and not that much kibble. I'm not going to switch brands, many of which are hard to find where i live just to switch them again when i get around to fully changing to raw.
  • and despite the "bad" food people are always complimenting my dogs on their coats, teeth, size, etc.
  • Royal Canin 27 Adult for my 3 year old Orange Tabby
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Raw kangaroo mince and chicken necks for both my cat and dog. I supplement this with a little bit of kibble (Supercoat) but the majority of their food is raw.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    UPS men.

Jehovah's witnesses and door-to-door sales men.

You guys crack me up... my dogs are double dippers when the UPS truck comes - they get treats at the neighbors if they have packages and then they run over here to get treats for our package :) Happy dogs... I gotta work on upgrading the UPS guys stash of treats :)
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    I feed my 4 year old boxer/sharpei who's got Addison's disease Blue Buffalo Basics for large breed dogs, its grain free and got limited ingredients. He's got a sensitive tummy.

And my 1 year old Lhasa Apso get s the regular Blue Buffalo.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Dogfoodscoop.com will give you a 1-5 rating on the dog or cat food you are feeding your pets. It will also list what ingredient in each brand under a 5 rating is unhealthy for your animal to be ingesting. Wellness is the brand we use for our 2 boxers. One of ours has a corn allergy that is so sever that if he eats any corn biproduct he will have seizures. Hope this helps!!!
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    And we ALWAYS do organic brands for all of our pets :)