Breakfast Ideas

Options
Anyone know of quick nutritious breakfast foods that can be made ahead. I do not have a lot of time in the morning but would like a variety for breakfast. Help!!

Replies

• zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am doing a make-ahead breakfast this week. I have hard boiled eggs and cooked up/divided Gimme Lean Vegetarian Sausage. In the morning, I just combine both in a half sheet of California Lavash Bread, warm in the microwave. Super fast breakfast wrap. 210 calories and 16 grams of protein.

Another favorite is microwave a small sweet potato (about 4 minutes), top with a tablespoon of almond butter and a dash of cinnamon. 215 calories and keeps me full all morning.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    cereal, oatmeal, waffles/pancakes, bagel, toast to name a few and all of them can be healthy.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    A lot of other people will mention this, but I've totally jumped on the refrigerator oats bandwagon too. I make mine the night before with 1/2 cup rolled oats, 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, and 1 tsp agave nectar. The next morning I slice a banana and add it in. Easy peasy!
  • Risarox
    Options
    I never have time in the morning either, i'm not sure what kind of plan you follow but other than oatmeal, or malt o meal that I make at work. I also make a microwave omlette that is carb free and is fast. I make them in advance on a Sunday night and grab them from the fridge in the morning to heat up once I'm at my office.
    To do this get a ziploc sandwich bag use egg whites or crack 2 eggs, throw in your cheese, meat or veggies seal the bag and shake.
    I make up 3 bags to off set the other breakfast options during the week. When you are ready just toss it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and Wala you have a 2 egg omlette to start your day.
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    It takes about six minutes to fry an egg. Get up six minutes earlier, fry an egg. Make doubly-good use of time by starting toast, pouring cereal, coffee, orange juice, scotch, and anything else you need to get through the day.
  • awoods64
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Eggo Blueberry Nutrigrain waffles with a little bit of syrup.
  • lisaivfrn
    lisaivfrn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts consist of either: 2 boiled eggs, kashi heart to heart and skim milk, steel cut oatmeal with berries, Atkins peanut butter granola bar, Syntha-6 protein shake with banana, whole grain waffle with natural peanut butter, or whole grain english muffin with ff cream cheese.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Saying you don't have enough time is just admitting you're lazy. Don't take that personally, I was in that state of mind at one time too.

Get up earlier, we're talking a ten minute difference here not hours earlier.

If you just don't want to cook, stick to fruit, grab a banana/apple/grapefruit/etc and a small yogurt. Buy some nuts and pre-sort portions for each day in a tiny ziplock. You could make a breakfast bag similar to what some hotels offer for on the go. Usually there's a bottle of water, a muffin, a piece of fruit, and a protein bar. Make five bags with similar items of your choice and bam, no thinking, no cooking, it's ready to go with you in the mornings. Hope this helps a little. :)
  • loseit4good64
    loseit4good64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is to take a banana, almond milk, protein powder, and sometimes peanut butter and throw it all in my Ninja blender. Its sooo good. Also instead of the peanut butter, you can add more frozen fruit. I make this almost every morning for my husband and I. My 13 year old son loves it too. :heart:
  • HokieMama4
    HokieMama4 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This recipe has made a smoothie lover out of me. http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/23539/strawberry-oatmeal-breakfast-smoothie

It's worth waking up 5 minutes earlier to make, and with a good travel cup, you can take it with you to drink on your way to wherever.
  • zoewhyman
    zoewhyman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal

1.5 C mashed banana (3-4)
    2 eggs
    1/4 t vanilla
    3/4 t baking powder
    2 C milk
    2.5 C oats
    8 oz blueberries (can be frozen or fresh)

Preheat the oven to 375. Mash bananas, add eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Add milk. Then oats and blueberries (keep frozen and stir in last). Spray 8x8 baking dish with oil, pour in oat mixture, bake at 375 for 45 minutes until top is golden and center is no longer wet to the touch.

Serves 6, each serving has:
    310 calories
    60 carbs
    12 protein
    24 sugar
  • browneyes97
    Options
    Saying you don't have enough time is just admitting you're lazy. Don't take that personally, I was in that state of mind at one time too.

Get up earlier, we're talking a ten minute difference here not hours earlier.

Haha. This is me. I fry my eggs a night or two before, then just warm them in the micro at work.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I make Steel Cuts Oats in the slow cooker, I set them before bed and wake up to a piping hot breakfast. The secret is you need a smaller tall slow cooker if you use the flatter oval shape ones the water cooks away to fast and you end up with a mushy burnt mess.
    I make 1 cup to 4 cups water and I have enough for the week so I just reheat in microwave.
  • ewalker160
    ewalker160 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I make a chia seed breakfast cereal and usually make a batch at night for two days. High fiber right at the start of the day! :heart: :smile:

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons of chia seed
    1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
    2 tsp vanilla flavor
    1/2 cup fresh chopped strawberries

I mix the milk and chia seed together at night and put in the fridge. This allows the seed to absorb the milk. I also cut up my strawberries at night. In the am, i heat up the mixture, add 1 tsp of vanilla and the strawberries. I also spray it with a calorie free butter spray for taste.

1/2 of the mixture:
    Calories:160
    Carbs: 16
    Fat: 8
    Protein: 7
    Sugar: 3
    Fiber: 12
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bumping this... There are some great ideas jere
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm really digging my refrigerator oats, too. Just a few minutes of prep at night and I just grab it on my way out the door. I like mine pretty plain, and typically just use fruit or milk.

I mix 2/3 cup of milk (dairy or other or a mix) with 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal and a serving of fruit (fresh or frozen). Sometimes I'll add a little bit of peanut butter for something different. Most recipes call for more milk, but mine kept turning out too soupy, I like it better like a pudding. Just mix all together in some sort of a container (I use a small mason jar) and put in the fridge overnight.

Here's some of my favorites:

Tropical: 1/3 c. light coconut milk with 1/3 cup 1% milk, plus a serving of pineapple or mango, diced. Add 1/2 c. oats and shake to combine.

PB & J: Combine 1 tbsp peanut butter, 2/3 cup milk and oatmeal in a jar. Shake to combine and refrigerate. In the morning, add 1/2 tbsp. jam or preserves.

Blueberry: One serving frozen blueberries, 2/3 cup milk and 1/2 cup oats. Shake to combine and refrigerate.

If you don't like them, try this: I keep a costco-sized box of nature valley oats and honey bars above my fridge for a quick and easy grab and go breakfast,. I have that and a piece of fruit (usually with a latte for some protein).

Hope this helps!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My breakfast of the week this week has been mixing 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt with a little sweetener, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a little vanilla, and using that to dip blueberry waffles in (cut or torn pieces). It's pretty darn tasty.
  • LisaD7526
    LisaD7526 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a slice of 100% whole grain wheat toast spread with avocado (usually half a small one), salt and pepper, topped with a fried egg (fried in Pam spray of course). Really filling.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    EGGS

swerve the cereal!
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    - Make omelet the night before. Warm in microwave for 30 seconds or so in the morning. They turn out great for me. 2 egg white omelet with mushrooms is around 50 calories. I pair this with 2 slices of Village Hearth 12 grain bread with 1 Laughing Cow Queso Chipotle Fresco cheese disbursed between the 2 slices and spread thin. less than 200 calories
    - biscuits and gravy. Use turkey sausage, skim milk, flour, and a dash of pepper. Use the Bisquick Heart Smart mix for the biscuits. I usually am full on one biscuit with gravy (I think I use 1/2 cup gravy). It is less than 200 calories easy. You can make a large batch and then freeze the gravy in individual snack bags. Just use a little water to thin out as this will get pretty thick.
    - using 40 calorie bread (The Village Hearth 12 grain kind is my fav), make a sandwich with egg whites, ham or bacon or sausage, and a slice of cheese. 150-175 calories.
    - One waffle or pancake eaten with a banana sliced on top. less than 200 calories
    - In a low calorie pita or tortilla put a mixture of scrambled eggs, bacon/ham/sausage, a little bit of cheese (or laughing cow wedge), some sausage gravy, hashbrowns...really whatever you like. Can easily be made and wrapped in clear plastic wrap the night before. Microwave for 30-60 seconds.
    - 1 cup fresh fruit, 2 slices 40 calorie bread with the cheese wedge, and a piece or two of turkey sausage/bacon
    - Skinnytaste.com has a recipe for cauliflower fritters that are very good to eat with applesauce or ketchup. I modified the recipe to make it even lower in calories and have larger pieces.
    - Oatmeal and fresh fruit or toast

Edited - The pancakes are my favorite when I add blueberries to the mix and then top with the banana.