What do you feed your Pets?

Options

Replies

• kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I make my own wet food for my cats. I have one that is allergic to gluten and I want to make sure my babies are healthy. I make a big batch at the beginning of the month and and freeze it into ice cube tray portions so I pull out what I need for the day and leave what I don't. I am really hoping once I get my own place to feed them this and either taste of the wild or blue buffalo wild. Right now the people I live with feed their cats meow mix and refuse to transfer to something different.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I feed my dog leftover meats of whatever I don't want or some offal with a starch mixed in - potatoes, rid, etc.

He loves it. And yes, guilty, and have given him a tad bit of chocolate - never did him any harm.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    <--- He started getting Iams when I brought him home (rescue). I switched him to Blue Buffalo Indoor and thats when we found out he's allergic to chicken and other common proteins! Started scratching and biting and was losing hair. So, now he is mainly on Royal Canin hypoallergenic, but he seems to also tolerate the Blue Buffalo basic limited ingredient so I mix the two so I can afford to feed both of us. I have to check all of his treats and stuff to make sure there is no chicken in any form.
    I gave my parents the rest of the BB Indoor bag for their two cats and they refused their old food once they had a taste. Both are very healthy and their coats are so soft and shiny! One of them is 15 - 16 yrs now and she still plays like crazy.

He's weighed as much as 18 lbs and is now down to just under 13, so I guess he's my diet buddy!
  • peachynoir
    Options
    We tried Taste of the Wild for our little guy but he really didn't need that much protein... every dog is different. He really likes ZiwiPeak Venison and Fish, but since he suffers from a sort of boredom/stress-induced anorexia (vets words, not mine - he's just a picky eater, in my opinion), we change up his food a bit to keep things exciting for him.

ZiwiPeak on some days, a special holistic lamb dry food on others that a local groomer makes, and a few times he gets a homemade dinner of some sort of lean meat, apples, carrots, spinach and brown rice (we make this once a week and just freeze it in portions to pull out throughout the week). He loves fresh blueberries as treats, so we give him a handful of those a few times a week, as well.

He's 5 lbs. and very lean with a beautiful coat, excellent teeth and rarely gets sick (outside of the occasional injury because he's a daredevil) unless I go out of town for extended periods of time and leave him with my husband because it stresses him out... he's very attached.
  • billd935
    Options
    My 2 dogs and 1 cat are on raw meat(including bones). The cat will only eat a combination of chicken wings and liver. The dogs get a combination of heart, liver, chicken wings, beef, lamb, poultry necks, and occasionally fish. I buy in bulk through a co-op with other pet owners direct from the supplier, so cost are comparable to a high quality processed food.

A few years ago I would have never thought I would be feeding my animals nothing but meat; however, I started to think about it and the logic got to me. What would they be eating in the wild? They have all thrived remarkably on this diet. They have plenty of energy (runs up to 12 miles, hikes over 20), wonderful coats, clean teeth, and very little to pick-up when they do their "business".

Can you guess that I am an total convert
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Dogs - Raw Chicken, Beef, and Turkey with slightly soaked Biscuits.

Raw Chicken necks and Bones.

Cats - Raw Chicken, Beef and Turkey with dry Biscuits.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    My dogs areon acana grain free
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Two of my dogs are on Taste of the Wild. The third is on Purina ProPlan high protein formula.
  • allsturns
    allsturns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My girl is on a BARF diet and has been since 5 weeks of age, here's a photo of her at approx 12 weeks devouring an ox heart 166055_316048235156432_1539340701_n.jpg
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    One cat gets Royal Canin Obesity dry food for breaky and dinner
    The other cat gets Eukanuba dry food for breaky, then Hills wet food for dinner mixed with water (she gets cystitis if she only gets dry food)
    Our kitten gets Advance kitten dry food for breaky then Hills Kitten wet food for dinner.
    Sigh......can't wait til they can all eat the same bloody food LOL
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Turner and Hooch get Whiskas dry food. Tried them on nicer stuff (Eukanuba, Iams, Purina) but Hooch turned her nose up at it and Turner got really sick! Turner cant have fish in dried food either! A cat that cant eat fish? Insane! And dont get me started on the mess he makes with wet food :sick:
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Kirkland Lamb and Rice. I have two boxers, both under 2 years of age. I have tried all sorts of expensive foods to put weight on them... gave up... now they just eat this because its high quality, cheap, and keeps their coats shiny and soft. Still skinny... damn boxers
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what everyone feeds their pets?

I did some serious research on different foods brands and found out some wacky stuff! What pushed me to do this was my Diabetic dog and cat who has mammary cancer.

Before I was informed I was feeding them Beneful and Purina. (Terrible food)

Now my Dog is on Wellness Core and cats are eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

My cat with cancer is an inspiration to me. Shes being living with it almost a year now and she is doing so well with a healthier natural lifestyle.

Making sure my pets were as healthy as possible also helps me in becoming more healthier as well :)

My dogs are fed a mixture of grain free kibble (EVO, similar to a prey diet) and BARF (Bones and Raw Food). They do get a raw egg, vegetables and coconut oil everyday.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Kirkland lamb, rice & veg. We used to feed them Orijen but feeding 130lbs worth of dogs was costing an arm and a leg.

this
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Allsturns, love that picture!

My dog is on a raw diet. Finally got a deep freezer and a processing plant connection, so she's been eating venison (that I got for free!) for weeks and probably has enough to last until next hunting season. Plus organs from other critters. Love raw feeding.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    -_- my enemies.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My cat Charlie gets Hills Science plan, she loves it, I also give her the odd can of tuna and fresh chicken as a treat :)
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK and mine get Burns - its organic - the dogs have pork and potato as it is for the sensitive
    (my greyhound is a sensitive) the saluki cross and the mini dasch both have the same food
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I feed as close to raw as I can afford. My cats eat a mix of Evo, Felidae, Core, and Natural Balance for their dry food. They get raw meats and vegetables. Their favorites are venison, rabbit, and sweet potato. Almost all of their food is grain free.

I had a cat with lymphoma a few years back. The vets gave her 2 months to live. I switched her diet to grain free and mostly raw and she lived another 2 years. Grains turn into sugars and sugars feed the cancer. Straight protein feeds the body and mind, but not the cancer.

You did the right thing changing your cat's diet over. She will live a lot longer and have a better quality of life now. I know I saw an almost immediate change in my cats when I switched over. They live like they're supposed to now. Who says cats sleep 20 hours a day!? Mine certainly don't!