5:2 - intermittent fasting. FRIENDS WANTED.

Options

Replies

• jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request, Victœria! I've started this week and I have the same days as you too.

Really found Tuesday evening a mega struggle, but soldiering on!
  • nnoifeld
    nnoifeld Posts: 116
    Options
    I have done cleanses in the past that have required me to not eat for seven days, only do liquids. Totally tough, but definitely worth it. I felt so much better and my system ran a lot more smoothly! Added bonus was weight loss! For some reason however, over the past few years, the only way I was losing weight was when I was doing a cleanse/fast. So when I was reading about intermittent fasting yesterday on MFP and found the New Horizon documentary, I knew I definitely wanted to give this a go. Like the host, I want to avoid the potential negative effects of my genetics by eating healthier and exercising. I'm currently doing a cleanse, but when I finish, I am definitely going to start the 5:2 lifestyle. Hopefully I will see the same positive effects others have reported. Add me as well!
  • Bobbyjr72
    Bobbyjr72 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Can somebody send me or post any links to this style of fasting regimine. I've done plenty of fasts and cleanses but have not heard of this. Very interested. Thanks
  • nnoifeld
    nnoifeld Posts: 116
    Options
    www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms This is about a hour long documentary, but it's pretty informative.
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sent you a request, nnoifeld! :)
  • missstephanielynn
    missstephanielynn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I do 18:6 + 5:2 or 4:3. So I only eat between 1pm-7pm on non-fast days, and then I fast 2-3 days a week for 24 hours. So I stop eating at 6pm the night before and then fast till 6pm the next day. Eat between 6-7pm and start 18:6 all over :)

I'm down about 15 pounds currently (135 - 120) :) It also really fits my lifestyle where I struggle to find time to eat :)
  • wswing
    wswing Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did this last summmer with great success and it wasn't really difficult. I find it easier to have to watch what I eat just 2 days a week instread of 7. I can't for the life of me remember why I stopped except I was really happy with the way I looked and became complacent. Time to get back on track. Good luck to you! I think you will be pleased with your results.
  • 1970KJ
    1970KJ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started this programme today and so far my first fasting day has been OK. I have 30-40 lbs to lose so got a fair way to go yet!

Add me if you would like - I don't know how this all works yet lol!! I only found and joined this website today....
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't heard of this, but its captured my interest. I'll join you! ;)
  • nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I too, haven't heard anything about this... but it actually fits with my lifestyle it looks like

Yesterday for example, my total intake for the day was just over 500 calories

I have many days where I'm just not hungry.. so don't force myself to eat...

This looks like something definitely worth trying...
  • debbiewalton
    Options
    HI

I started this last week and have done 3 fast days so far. Like some others I always will do work days, couldn't stay out of the kitchen enough at home. I am seeing results already.

I get a horrible taste in my mouth on fast days but this is ketosis (fat breaking down) so I know its worth it,

If I think I'm going to crumble at home in the evenings I go to bed!
  • JaziH
    JaziH Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Started the 5:2 fast last week with just one day of fasting. This week I tried it with 2 days, and I wasn't very well prepared and ended up eatin 1200-1300 calories both days. I will just have to try harder next week ! On my non fast days I plan to eat around 1600 calories and Saturday is my cheat day when I eat whatever I want . Looking for friends for support and motivation.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm going to look more into this as well! Very interesting!
  • KansasCowgirl
    Options
    Very intriguing ... I feed my dogs a raw/species appropriate diet and they fast/cleanse 1 day per week. I'm curious, so now I'm gonna go watch the movie!!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS
  • Miggyluv
    Options
    I started this last week. Yesterday was my third fast day. I only had 400 calories. I'm finding it suits me perfectly. I'm fasting on Monday's and Thursdays. Weekends are out because we often end up in a restaurant or have friends over for dinner. So far I haven't struggled at all on a fast day. I get a mild hunger pang about twice a day but it doesn't last long. I forgot to weigh myself at the beginning so I only weighed myself for the first time this morning. I can't wait to see how it goes. Oddly, I find myself looking forward to the next fast day.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Been doing intermittent fasting for 3 months now. lost 30lbs in total/ Works perfectly and has so many other benefits other than weight loss. Really life changing
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    I've attempting it too. Been going 4 weeks now with a 3:1 routine instead of 5:2. It's working out to be pretty easy and seems to be working. I'm doing weights too so I feel like I'm eating quite a lot on normal days (2500 kcal) and I'm not sure how my weight has changed but my shape is moving in the right direction if the fit of my jeans and shirts are anything to go by so I'm happy.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If you watch the documentary it shows that weight loss is actually just a side effect of fasting. A lot of people who don't need to lose weight actually follow this to get the other health benefits (same as other types of intermittent fasting). And although I think it is quite early in terms of seeing the real success from this type of "diet", studies so far are encouraging.

It really suits a lot of people as although the fasts days can be hard (I've heard they get easier, not there yet lol), you still have 500 / 600 cals to play with. You can switch the days around to fit around work and social time and you get to eat plenty calories on your non fast days.

I think the idea is that you are supposed eat at maintainance calorie levels on your non fast days, so obviously different for everyone but the general idea is 2000 cals for women and 2400 for men. So that is quite a bit of food to play with.

Although what seems to work well for me is during the week I have 2 fast days of 500 cals. Three days of my regular 1700 cals. And then weekends I allow a few extra treats and have around 2300 on Saturday and Sunday.

All I am doing is restricting my calories over the week, but it seems to suit my lifestyle well and I don't feel deprived or like I am missing out.
  • luluminstrel
    luluminstrel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started this on Monday, have had two fast days and have lost 3 lb this week. I was quite hungry on the first fast day but it's amazing how much veg you can eat for just 500 calories!

It really suits me so far - I struggle with constant calorie counting - it's so boring. Now i can eat more normally 5 days a week. And I feel so much better!

I'm really anti fad diets but the science behind this convinced me to give it a go.