1 Yr Progress - with pics

Options
Okay so I'm finally getting around to posting this on the main 'Success Stories' board. I'm in maintenance mode now, but I still cheer on my friends. Feel free to add me. :)

I have stayed committed since Dec 2011, but logged into MFP everyday starting at the end of Jan 2012. It's been a year and here's what I've done:

Apps: MFP, FitnessBuddy (electronic log of weight lifting), hundredpushups, C25K, Zombies Run!

Programs: Eat More to Weigh Less (EM2WL), New Rules of Lifting for Abs (and for Women), Butt Bible, 30 Day Shred, P90X, Book – How to Eat What You Love and Love What You Eat (helped with emotional eating)

My personal rules:
•Make a choice and enjoy that choice guilt free.
•Choose things I can do for the rest of my life. That means unreasonable workouts, restricting food/starving myself, or cutting out entire food groups are all a no-go for me.
•Focus on being healthy, looking good is a positive side effect.
•Sleep and rest are as important as working hard and giving it my all.
Inspiration quotes: •A year from now you will have wish you started today
•Strive for progress not perfection
•The only person you are in competition with is the you from yesterday

Inspirational people:
•MFP friends Shannon (she inspired me to stay committed) and Darla (she inspired me to shed the 'but I'm only a girl' mentality to push my limits with lifting)
•Heavy Lifting Staci: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
•I seriously don’t have any execuses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Advice:
•If you don't feel like working out that day, go for 10 min. If you want to stop after 10 min, then give yourself permission with no guilt. (I’ve never once stopped after 10 min, although I have cut my workouts short to 40 min.)
•If you spend time feeling guilty about what you didn't do, then you don't get to enjoy what you are doing. How good does the cake taste if you are feeling guilty for eating it in the first place? How can you enjoy time for you while working out if you are feeling guilty about not spending time on the chores/hobby/family?
•Don't starve yourself. You'll be more successful in the long run if you do it a little slower and eat more food. Check out www.eatmore2weighless.com for information
•Find a workout program you like and change up your routine every 6-10 weeks - you'll probably stick with it because you have an ‘end’ to look forward to and something new to try. Take a rest week between switching up your routine (or earlier if you feel exhausted/running on empty).
•Work hard at workouts that you enjoy and fuel your body properly, including eating from every food group.
•Don't deprive yourself, rather find balance. I enjoy eating out with friends and family, I still drink alcohol, and I still make time for friends, family, and sleep.
•Don’t set your goals based on what the scale says--only you see that number. Everyone else sees how your clothes fit or how your muscles look. For me, meeting all of the other goals has been so much more rewarding than seeing a certain number on the lying scale that lies.

I was always one of the lucky people – I was stick thin, could eat what I wanted when I wanted without any impact to my size or weight. I’m 5’11” and for most of my life I was a size 4 or smaller. I also grew up playing volleyball and staying active. Combine getting older, an office job in front of a computer, and having a baby and suddenly I didn’t look like this anymore (size 4, early 20s):
8436612562_1640d36702_z.jpg

When I embarked on this journey in December 2011, I really had no idea what I wanted my goals to be, beyond ‘Weigh 165 lbs by Halloween’ which was the last time I remember being a size 8 and feeling great about the way I looked. Seeing myself in my sister in law’s wedding in September 2011 made me realize just where I was size wise:
8436626128_cefe56dfa1_z.jpg

I dealt with the death of my dad and two surgeries (with each having a 6 week exercise restriction period) in the last year. I am so proud of my progress thus far. I am looking forward to doing a Tough Mudder or Warrior Dash this year, as well as continuing to lift. Some before/after pics:

Holiday party 2011 in red, 2012 in black:
8436613318_2d0088229c_z.jpg

8435527489_3b744e3188.jpg

8436612034_065d0c3f5c.jpg

8436612504_5e0ba39d29.jpg

And recent photo on the left, prior to any strength training on the right (Nov 2008). Between Nov 2008 and getting serious in March 2012 with strength training I had tried and stopped P90X and 30 DS.
8447612527_284fd1c70a.jpg

For more specific calorie intake, exercise routines and strength changes, go here: http://ladyace2078mfp.blogspot.com/#!/2013/02/1-year-progress.html

Replies

• AmmeJayne2
    Options
    Looking really good! well done.. all the hard work sure paid off for you xx
  • marley2268
    marley2268 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    very inspiring. thank you for sharing.
  • cynbreau
    cynbreau Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I can see a lot of definition in your after pics!
  • queens2014
    queens2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

•Make a choice and enjoy that choice guilt free.

So true! you're awesome! congratulations!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I love your advice. You have worked so hard. Congrats to you and your amazing body!
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    W2g!!
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    You look awesome!! I love your transformation because it shows what lifting weights can do to keep a shapely body!!! Congrats!
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    Nice job. Way to stay in this community
  • ruthiestamos
    ruthiestamos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing LOVE your "personal goals"
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Loved your story and all the info.
    Great job
  • alliet12
    alliet12 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Your story and information are great!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I find you incredibly inspiring. Thank you for sharing this. You look amazing, and I know from experience that you probably feel it too :)
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    This is sooo inspirational!! Thank you :)
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing, well done
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. This kind of post is helpful because in addition to inspiring us, you've laid out the roadmap you took thus providing for us an example (not a blueprint) of what can be done. I really appreciate it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does.
  • OAvalos
    OAvalos Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Awesome results! I can definitely see the improvement. Great job!
  • flossylimejuice
    flossylimejuice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP 12 days in and 4lb lost. You look fantastic!! :)
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    You look amazing! Thanks for posting the strength training result, I just started doing it and am super excited!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump, so awesome!!
  • tflores
    tflores Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That is great! All the hard you put in paid off. Thanks for posting. It is inspiring.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!