500 calories burned a day?? Really???

Options
I am looking for some feedback from people who are burning 500 calories working out everyday (or even used to but don't anymore)....is this realistic? What does your normal day look like (go to work at this time, eat this time, workout at this time etc....)? Do you eat more on days where you burn 500 calories? Help! :) Thank you!

Replies

• cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I dont think i could ever stay at the gym long enough to burn 500 calories at one time, i get bored and dont have the patience for that. However, i will do my normal cardio for about 20-25 minutes and 25 minutes of weight lifting and burn 250-300 before class, and i walk to school, which i include as exercise and burn another 100-200 depending on the day (i walk pretty fast) then on my short days in class ill walk my dog for an hour in the afternoon (again i average about 4mph so its a higher burn) which is another 150-200 calories. A good day i can burn 650-700, since i walk 2-5 miles per day on top of my normal workout, but my schedule is different almost everyday so it varies. I usually eat breakfast about 800am lunch around 1230 and dinner around 730, snacks are at 1030, 2 and 4 as i need them. I usually eat back at least most of my exercise calories so yes i will eat more on workout days.

If you really want to burn this much per day i would recommend trying to break it up into multiple workouts if u need to, hope this helps :smile:
  • evanesco
    Options
    It's possible. I earned 815 yesterday. 362 from Running 55 minutes and 453 from a generally very active day (recorded by Fitbit).
  • NHoughton13
    Options
    I walk 2 miles at lunch rather briskly and MFP shows it's a 239 calorie burn. When I get home, I do 30 Day shred which MFP gives me another 263 for a total of 502 per day. I usually eat some of it back, but not all.
  • benflando
    Options
    5:30 - Gym - Usually Cardio for about 20 minutes which I can burn about 250 calories during.

8:00- 3:00 School - just normal activities can probably burn about 100 + calories

P.E. Class - Cardio and lifting probably burn about 300 calories +

5:30-6:30 Football Lifting which I probably burn 500+ calories during

Thats only for me, but sometimes two sessions are needed.
    Also don't forget about the calories you burn during the day just doing normal activities.
    A good app to help is called "Moves" which is free on the app store.
    Good Luck!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I burn 500 to 600 calories on some days. I eat 1800 calories a day per my doctor and don't eat my exercise calories back. It balances out on days that I don't exercise.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When I run I tend to burn about 500 calories (5 miles).

Weight training burns less - about 300

I workout three days a week right now with weights and try to add that 4th day of running only...but do not always get there due to being so sore.

i eat based on TDEE so I only eat back caloreis if my net drops below my BMR
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    About 1 hour of spinning, including 40ish minutes in spin class, get me to about 700-800 calories per workout according to my HRM. In addition to that I try to walk 30-60 minutes a day. I take a 20-30 minute walk during work, and try to walk my dog 20-30 minutes a few days a week. Sometimes this is a walk in the morning and in the evening, sometimes just evening. I also never sit still when I'm at home. I'm always cooking, cleaning, doing whatever. I log my running/spin/biking calories and sometimes my walking calories, but not always. And yes I eat more when I burn more.

A typical schedule:
    6:30 breakfast
    7:30 start work
    9-10 maybe have a snack
    11:30 lunch
    12 walk 20-30 minutes, moderate pace (maybe 100 cal)
    2-3ish lunch #2
    4:30 walk dog/work out for 45-90 minutes (run/spin/ride/yoga) (500-800 cal)
    7:30 eat dinner, try not to eat after 8 pm
    9-9:30 get in bed, usually asleep by 10
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    On the days I do my martial arts training (1.5 hours x2 days) I burn over 1000 cals and when I run (45 mins) I burn about the same. I make sure I have a carb overload on those days.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some feedback from people who are burning 500 calories working out everyday (or even used to but don't anymore)....is this realistic? What does your normal day look like (go to work at this time, eat this time, workout at this time etc....)? Do you eat more on days where you burn 500 calories? Help! :) Thank you!

Totally realistic, but teh second you start comparing your calorie burns with others' is the second you start driving yourself crazy. Do what you can do, do it the best you can, and move along.

Personally, a good cardio workouts burns ~10 cals per minute for me... a hard workout burns a little more, an easier workouts burns a little less. At 10 cals per, a 60minute cardio session burns ~600 cals.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I burn a lot more than that.

A normal light day will be something like a 2 mile walk on my lunch break and a 3 mile run at night, which will burn around 700 calories for me.

A heavy strength training day can push into the 1100+ cal area. 2 mile lunch walk, warmup/cooldown lap on the treadmill, 30 minutes of warmup/mobility exercises and 60-70 minutes of full throttle strength training.

Running for an hour burns about 850 calories for me.

(and yes eating back my exercise calories is absolutely vital, I'm well past "losing weight" and cycle bulking with cutting (at a relatively low BF% where losing at a fast rate won't fly))
  • laurarn319
    laurarn319 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I burn between 600-900 each day at the gym. I go to the gym at 630, work 830 to 7pm. I run, spin, or do the eliptical for 1hr to 1hr 15mins each day.... then on saturday I have a long run of up to 2hrs where I burn about 1500 or so cals. On sunday, I work out with my trainer for 45mins (burning about 500) and then do the eliptical for 45 mins (burning about 600)...... so...... YES! It is possible, and I do eat about half of what I earn on top of my set cals for the day. Good luck!!! :smile:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    80-90 minutes a day in the gym. Mixed cardio and weights. I average about 1100 calories burned, according to my heart rate monitor.
    I figure that's fairly accurate, but I only record 1/2 of those calories to be on the safe side.
  • JameeraSaif
    JameeraSaif Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Typical day:

6:30 am 30 minute run (work sponsored)
    11:00 am 20-30 min modified CrossFit workout (work sponsored)
    5:30 pm 30-60 minute YMCA workout (Body Combat/Spin)

I burn the most calories at the YMCA. Organized, group workouts is the only way I stay motivated to do my best.

and yes, I do a lot of laundry.
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yup it's possible. I burn about 1100 calories a night at work. My job is very physical and requires a lot of walking.
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i burn 1200 on days i really want to do a long work out including dance, 30ds , walking, cleaning. your always doing something so your body is always burning calories xx
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    On cardio days when I push myself I can do 500 calories in less than 50 minutes. When I lift it would take me an extremely long time.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Before I tore my ACL, I would typically burn 300-600 calories at the gym each time I worked out. I would combine weights and cardio 2 days a week; burning around 100 from 30 minutes of weight training and the rest from however long I'd workout on the elliptical or treadmill. The other days I would take a class; either Spinning (around a 450 calorie burn for a 55 minute class) or Turbo Kick (a cardio kickboxing class, where I would burn up to 600 calories or more). It is possible!
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I burn 500/1hr a day, or well, that's my goal but i dont do it all at once. I walk a mile to and from my car to go to work everyday and that's 26 minutes total and about 180 cals (I use an HRM every time). I do 30ds, zumba or elliptical for 30 mins and that burn anywhere from 300-500 on it's own (zumba is killer and if i do zumba, i don't do the full hour) I also try to walk from the 11-18th floor a couple times to burn a little extra if i need it. I just spoke with my health coach yesterday and she says as a rule of thumb to eat back half your calories because you should never NET below 1200. I was always confused on whether you should gross 1700 or net 1700. So far ive been eating 1700 with 250 thrown on top from the extra exercise since my daily calorie intake is already taking 1000 cals from my TDEE. good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Today, 56 minutes of running, 500+ calories. That is about the shortest run I do.

Schedule? Up at 5 (4:30 on days that I need more time to run), running by 5:45. Ready to work by 8.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I burn 500+ on days I run (5 days a week). I run for an hour or so 4 days a week and 2 hours or so the 5th day. I run for mileage, not calorie burn - but that's the burn for my hour runs (the log run is about double).

I eat a little more the days I run, but I go over the days I don't run and go over by more on the day before my long run. I run in the mornings after I have coffee (I tried running at night-it's not my thing). I eat after running then whenever the rest of the day. I really don't give it all that much thought I guess.