Options

Replies

• minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    500-1000 everyday within 35 minutes minimum for 500 cals
  • jricht001
    Options
    I burn over 500cal every day at the gym. Nearly an hour on the elliptical, plus weights and yoga class at night..yeah its VERY possible. Between work, the gym and yoga, I dont have much down time at home. For me, Id rather be working my butt off (literally) rather than spending time at home in front of the TV or laptop

Food wise- I have a protein shake before the gym, breakfast when I get home. Go to work, come home at 1p for lunch, have another protein shake and a salad with chicken usually, or a can of tuna with my shake. Go back to work, yoga at night then come home and have a light dinner.

I find I normally have anywhere from 500-1000cal left by the time I'm finished for the day. Keeping that in mind, I DO eat around 1500-1900 a day.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a spinning class and almost always get over 500 calories in that time. And I will add there are portions I cannot keep up, this is in 55-65 minutes depending on how early I get there and getting warmed up. I am certain if I could keep up with the climbs / stands and sprints it would be more like 700-800 burned. I am still new so the instructor said it would be a while before I keep up the entire class, and I agree.

I worked out with a personal trainer the other day and did about 20 minutes prior on the elliptical first, so in about 75 minutes of that, lifting, mat work and battle ropes it was over 500 callories.

I went to a skating party with 6-8 year olds last sunday and in 2 hours burned about 800 calories, which is more then if I just skated on my own. Helping, holding and dragging around a 50 pound kid was exhausting.

I do use a HRM which helps me somewhat identify my calorie burns. I don't wear it in the pool for the deep water exercise class and just use MFP calculation which gives about 300 calories for 55 minutes, I feel that is about right, I think if you worked more or even harder it could be a bit more then that, I doubt I would ever burn that much in that class but if you did all out sprints, runs, ski's you could. My class does some squats and push ups and things with the noodle so there is some break from aerobic functions.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I average 900 a day, but I walk 6-7 miles (I don't have a car and live in a very walkable city), and about 500-600 of those are an hour to an hour and a half at the gym (based on my HRM). I swim, do Zumba, lift weights, etc. Basically I just keep working until I hit my burn goal.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    when i run 5, 6 or more miles i burn well over 500 calories (in approximately an hour and 15 minutes) but this is only on the weekends when i have time to run 6 miles.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I burn over 600 on Mondays because I do C25k, weight machines, and an hour of piloxing. However, every other day, I'm lucky if I burn 300. If I'm hungry, I will only eat back half of my exercise calories.
  • PTMama0614
    PTMama0614 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It is most definately possible. I workout at least 5 days a week for a minimum of 1 hour and my workouts consists of running or intense cardio. It all depends on the workout type and level of intensity. On my rest days, I try to do a lot of walking and can still burn at least 300 calories or more. I use a fitbit which records my calories burned and sometimes if I do an hour or running and have a busy day I can burn over 800 calories.
  • saltqueen99
    Options
    I wear a pedometer watch most of the day and those do add up. When I am doing specific exercise programs like weight lifting or yoga, I take it off which makes those calories separate. My daily walking goal is 5 miles minimum. Some days are harder to achieve than others but consistency counts.
  • tdrusk
    tdrusk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a little bit more if I know I am going running for 5 miles. Just a cliff bar extra will give me more energy to go farther, thus allowing me to burn much more than if I didn't eat a cliff bar. Find something you enjoy and go out and do it a lot!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Today I'm burning around 500 calories, according to the MFP estimates, doing 2.5 hours of exercise:

First I'm walking briskly to and from work, which is a little over a mile each way. In the evening I'm walking to my favorite fitness studio, a little less than a mile away, and doing a 60-minute barre class followed by 45 minutes of spinning. Most of the calories burned (268) come from the spin class. I'm not trying to lose weight these days, so yes, I'll eat those calories back.

I should note that this is one of my higher calorie burn days. I'm a small woman, and a lot of my preferred exercises (barre, yoga, walking) do not burn that many calories in general. However, my weekdays normally follow this format: walk or bike to work, walk or bike home, walk to location of fitness class, do a class or two, walk home, cook a healthy meal from scratch, and pack up leftover to take for lunch the next day. There are usually a few small walks in there as well (walking the dogs, walking to the grocery store or drugstore) but I don't bother logging them since they're more or less part of my daily routine.
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I can burn 500 cals alone just from doing 60 min of Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown dvd. So, it's really a matter of finding the motivation and drive to force your body to change and work out, even if it's just thirty minutes or an hr a day. It all counts!! Good luck.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have not read through all your posts, but I work out at least 4 days a week (often twice a day) and burn anywhere between 430 - 1300 calories a day. Zumba works for me and a typical workout doing just that can be between 400 and 700 calories per hour.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I consistently burn more than 500 calories during workouts. When I lift I'll jump rope or run in place to keep my heart rate up. When I'm on the upright bike the resistance is very high. I also do a lot of interval workouts so I can get my heart rate up and then rest, repeat.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I rarely burn anything less than 400 on the days when I exercise when I jog/walk on incline/elliptical/arc trainer. It is very easy. I have a hrm so it challenges me to keep going. I haven't always eaten them back but I think it has caused my weight loss to stall. I plan on eating them back.
  • livitup85
    livitup85 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I jogged on the treadmill last night for 55 minutes and my HRM told me i burned 514cals.
    Also, when I do a one hour Zumba class I frequently burn over 600cals.
  • XJgirl66
    Options
    500 Calories a day is very possible. I use a HRM and burn 500 doing the elliptical for an hour. If you can find a Zumba class near you, I burn between 850-1000 in a one hour class of that. You do need to adjust your calories. I net 1200 calories a day. This means if I workout I have to consume more calories. MFP will adjust for you though. I hope this helps!! :)
  • beckyblazier
    Options
    I take an hour spin class and burn 500 calories in that hour. Yes, I do eat some of those calories back during the day. But I try not to eat all of them in my diet.
  • iliveintheshire
    Options
    I burn >500 calories like every day! Feel free to friend me and see my journals. I do 60-120 minutes of exercise per day with a heart rate monitor. And no, I don't usually eat more, just up the protein on weightlifting days.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    if i do about 30 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on the elliptical i get a good 600+. it does depends a lot on your age and current weight though.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh - the more your burn when you exercise; so you will burn more at first. At a moderate pace (in the fat burning zone) - it will probably take you approx. 50 min (say on an elliptical doing an interval program or jogging like 6.0 mph) to burn 500 calories; depending of course on your current weight. I aim for 300-500 on any given day for calories burned during exercise - but you also burn calories all day doing other stuff - you have to be realistic about your activity level. The harder and longer you exercise, the more you will burn. Once you start dropping weight - you will see your calorie burn decrease as well, but by then you'll probably be in better shape and able to go harder or longer.

When I'm at work - i'm sitting a lot - so I have my "lifestyle" set at sedentary - but on weekends and days off - I rarely have time to sit down and it all balances out at the end of the week. I don't get a chance everyday to work out. The other key to losing is to fuel your body with nutritious foods, not just any calories. Protein makes you feel fuller longer, but you still need carbs for energy.

P.S. I almost always eat back all of my exercise calories. This depends on how you set your activity level though. I don't account for any activity at a sedentary setting - so that leaves me the space to eat back my exercise calories.