TIPS FOR SUCCESS

Options
bushokie
bushokie Posts: 180 Member
WHATS THE BEST TIP THAT HELPED YOU MAKE GOAL

Replies

• Joeypox
    Options
    Make sure you think short term and long term and make them quantifiable with dates. Oh too often we only have "lose 50 lbs." General Goals are destined to fail. If you have Lose 50 lbs by the end of the year, but this month lose 5 lbs. Its easier to hold yourself accountable. It also easier to see if your goal is ACTUALLY obtainable because we all think we are superman and sometimes set unrealistic goals.

Another one is NEVER forget your past victories no matter how small. You have done something that a previous you (whether you a day, a month or a year ago) couldn't do. By remember this, it can often get you out of a rut of plateau. Non Scale Victories (NSV) are some of the best victories to me. At the end of the day the scale is just one factor that doesn't capture everything in your journey!

Lastly, messing up, cheating, and plateaus happen to EVERYONE. Its what you do and decide AFTER this happens that shows your character, commitment and determination.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Keep accurate track of what you eat, it pays to weigh or measure everything!

Invest in an accurate digital scale for weighing your portions.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Make sure you think short term and long term and make them quantifiable with dates. Oh too often we only have "lose 50 lbs." General Goals are destined to fail. If you have Lose 50 lbs by the end of the year, but this month lose 5 lbs. Its easier to hold yourself accountable. It also easier to see if your goal is ACTUALLY obtainable because we all think we are superman and sometimes set unrealistic goals.

Another one is NEVER forget your past victories no matter how small. You have done something that a previous you (whether you a day, a month or a year ago) couldn't do. By remember this, it can often get you out of a rut of plateau. Non Scale Victories (NSV) are some of the best victories to me. At the end of the day the scale is just one factor that doesn't capture everything in your journey!

Lastly, messing up, cheating, and plateaus happen to EVERYONE. Its what you do and decide AFTER this happens that shows your character, commitment and determination.

Hear hear! :)

Try different things if something isn't working; change up your meals, fitness etc. so you don't get bored. Reward yourself- new clothes after small goals reached, or a fancy meal (even if that's just a hot fudge sundae, whatever you like!) but always come back to sticking to your plan afterwards. Drink lots of water/tea!! It will fill you up so you'll feel less hungry. Eat slowly. Be kind to yourself, forgive if you fall off the wagon. Just believe in your own strength to get back on it again.
  • bushokie
    Options
    great tips thank you mfp is by far the best soure and inspiration
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Celebrate small victories (not with food).
    Remember this is a lifestyle change...not a sprint to the finish.
    Remember you haven't failed unless you quit.
    WRITE down your goals, both big and small and set dates.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    This is the formula I give my friends:

1. Diet - Eat less than you burn and make sure you chose quality over quantity
    2. Exercise - Just move every time you find yourself sitting still
    3. Determination - Don't stop, don't cheat, don't let the scale lie to you, don't make excuses, don't let social obligations derail you, don't depend on others noticing, DO think before you eat - will this make me happier in the long run?

This is a lifestyle change but it is like any change, it is harder in the beginning. Just because you don't think you can live on the diet forever is not a reason to not do it. The fact is as you diet your body will adjust your cravings and even your taste buds will adjust to your new diet (but not if you throw burgers and pizza at it while you are dieting). I like salad now. I wouldn't touch a salad before this. It will be hard at first and sometimes it will seem impossible but it is worth it and it will get easier.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    TRAIN and DIET :) that simple
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat.

Drink lots of water.

Stay off the scale.

Be consistent.

Sleep.

Eat more vegetables.

Be patient.

Move and your heart will follow.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    oh. You only wanted one. :ohwell:
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    1) Train hard.

What I mean by that is that for very obese people who do zero activity except walk to the fridge, maybe walking or house cleaning can be considered exercise, and anything is better than nothing - we all started somewhere. BUT -- for the majority of people, a "workout" is where you do activity that makes you sweat and breathe hard, maybe even gasp for breath when you push hard. Do a combination of strength and cardio training.

2) Eat clean.

I'm not a big believer in fad diets (eliminate this, eat only soup, etc). I say eat clean, avoid food with added/excess sugar, and eat whole foods. Meat, whole wheat pasta, grains, fruit, vegetables - all of it. Drink lots of water, and avoid sugary drinks and alcohol. Those are just empty calories. Also, I am not a believer in "cheat days". To me, that is taking 4 steps forward and one back. Why would you want to give up progress you've made?

3) Looking for shortcuts?

There are none. See #1 and #2.

I don't claim to be a fitness/diet or exercise expert, but the above worked for me. I lost almost 100 lbs using those methods.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    TRAIN and DIET :) that simple

Missing one component. Diet + Exercise + Willpower = Success.. that simple.

No "Cheat days" that is just stupid.. who are you cheating?

Good luck
  • bushokie
    Options
    these tips are awewomefor anyone starting out ..they'd save a ton of money ..common sense no book,pills just hard work..thanks and keep them coming...
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Keep accurate track of what you eat, it pays to weigh or measure everything!

Invest in an accurate digital scale for weighing your portions.

This
  • Joeypox
    Options
    Great tips! I just got into the food scale myself! It has helped a TON especially since I have a heavy hand!

Also EAT YOUR VEGETABLES!! This helps fill you up and little calories and SO MUCH minerals! I try to eat a vegetable or fruit (try to be careful with fruits since it a lot of sugar if you eat too many) for every meal/ snack!

I like how all the tips are so different yet get to the same point!
  • g0ldenb0y55
    g0ldenb0y55 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Look at yourself in the mirror everyday and tell yourself:

"It's starts now!, it's my body!, it's my mind!, it's my time to shine!"

Get into the BEAST MODE mentality and anyting is possible!
  • bushokie
    Options
    joey some really great tips and goldenboy beast mode in in full operation
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    table push backs and fork put-downs LMAO
  • curiousorange
    Options
    Some changes I have made:

Drink more water

Drink green tea

Replace milk with skimmed milk

Replace white bread with wholemeal

Exercise reguarly

Keep going! :)
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    To set one short term goal per week to reach my long term goals.

Fill half of my lunch and dinner plate with vegetables

Stevia! No calorie sweetener without the bad side effects of aspartame

90% of weight loss happens in the kitchen
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!