500 calories burned a day?? Really???

Options

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    IMFP has me at over 1000 already today. amd it's only lunchtime. Probably not completely accurate but well over 500. I got up and ran 3 miles, then biked to work. I'll bike home later, do a conditioning workout and some yoga, so I expect to double this amount by the end of the day.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I burn about 500 calories in an hour of hard cardio, but I am 5'9" and 195 lbs. Don't make yourself crazy with comparing.

I aim to eat 1750 cals per day, pretty much no matter what.
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I burn that much doing 30 minutes of Tabata or 60 minutes of Zumba/latin fitness. It's fun
  • HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    DotCanada, That was 1380 for the 30 Day Shred + 2 Zumba classes....the Shred alone was 180.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I burn 800-1000 calories a day based on my weight and how hard I work out. It is totally possible. I spend an hour or so at the gym every evening from about 5:15-6:15.

I also do zumba which they say can burn about 1000 calories an hour!

I was going to say the same thing. I weigh over 300 pounds. I've lost 40. It takes so much energy just to move we burn more calories if we are big.

The question from the OP should be is that many calories burned reasonable for HER. It depends on the following:

Her weight
    Her heart rate achieved.
    The type of exercise involved
    The amount of time at the heart rate with that exercise
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Thank you so much for the information everyone! I guess I thought that 500 calories just seemed like alot for me to burn in a workout but, I guess I'm not pushing myself enough....I do have a HR monitor so it is easy for me to keep track of the actual calories that I have burned. I eat 1400 calories a day and have found out that I like that amount of food and don't feel too hungry or looking to want more. I am going to start this process slow but want to be a part of this 500 calorie club that you are all in.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your feedback! You have all helped me out so much.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I never burn less than 600- but its because I teach fitness classes, and Zumba is super cardio- drenched in sweat after each class. Also depends on a persons body weight, as I get closer to my goal weight that will no doubt taper down. But I team teach with another instructor, she is very lean, and she burns 400-500 each class, (she wears a monitor)
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I burned over 800 yesterday, so yeah its possible.

I eat back some of them because I am not hungry enough to eat back all of it.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I often burn 500-1000 calories a day---by running, biking and walking everywhere. The more you do, the better it feels.
    Saves on gas to walk to the store. Hiking with friends is a wonderful way to socialize.
    You can do it!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Thank you so much for the information everyone! I guess I thought that 500 calories just seemed like alot for me to burn in a workout but, I guess I'm not pushing myself enough....I do have a HR monitor so it is easy for me to keep track of the actual calories that I have burned. I eat 1400 calories a day and have found out that I like that amount of food and don't feel too hungry or looking to want more. I am going to start this process slow but want to be a part of this 500 calorie club that you are all in.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your feedback! You have all helped me out so much.

Get it, get it gurl! I just did a brisk walk for an hour at lunch at that was just over 4 miles and about 474 calories. Just a little bit goes a long way.
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I burn on average 545 or so doing Zumba for 60 mins. The best part is you don't realize it because you're having so much fun:)
  • nnoifeld
    nnoifeld Posts: 116
    Options
    500 cals is definitely doable. I can run for 40 minutes and burn 650, or do the elliptical and burn 525 in 30 minutes. A 1 hour step class burns about 700 cal according to MFP. I usually get to the gym by 5 am and try to get an entire hour in before I leave. If I'm extra energetic or motivated that day, I may do another workout on my lunch break for 30-45 minutes.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    As a 200 lb, 48 yr old male, I just got back from running for 48 minutes. HRM gave me 886 calories. I ran that with LOTS of intervals to spike the heart rate. Ave HR: 152 Peak HR: 176

Your question is interesting to me. I don't work out (cardio or lifting) unless I am planning on getting at LEAST 500 calories. While any workout is worth something, I want to get the most out of the time.

Good luck finding your balance! You can achieve anything that you decide to.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I burned 744 calories today according to my heart rate monitor.

Wake up - 6am
    Get to work - 8:30am
    Lunch break WORKOUT - walk/jog 4.5 miles up and down hills with my workout buddy/coworker
    Leave work - 5:30pm
    Get home - 6pm
    Eat Dinner - 7pm
    Bedtime - 9pm (most week days)
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    For me, it really depends on how hard I push myself at the gym. Last night I burned 625 calories in 45 minutes (on the arc trainer). The other night was 500 in 30. Though normally, I usually burn about 350. But I push myself hard, my shirt is usually pretty soaked by the time I'm done.

ETA: I usually do just one workout. Since I have a pretty busy daytime schedule on most days, I usually go to the gym at night. Plus i noticed I sleep better when I go at night versus during the day. May be different for others.
  • cheeky_chickete
    Options
    hi, i'm burning 600-1000 cals in a gym session, but my calorie intake target is 1210. When I've completed my entry, even if i've eaten more than my target, and then burned say 800 at the gym, it keeps coming up with a warning that I'm eating too few calories (even if my 'remaining' is in the red.

Should I be eating 1200 cal, and then eating the same amount that I burn off again? so say eat 2000 cal, but burn off 800? I don't understand how it's meant to work!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    hi, i'm burning 600-1000 cals in a gym session, but my calorie intake target is 1210. When I've completed my entry, even if i've eaten more than my target, and then burned say 800 at the gym, it keeps coming up with a warning that I'm eating too few calories (even if my 'remaining' is in the red.

Should I be eating 1200 cal, and then eating the same amount that I burn off again? so say eat 2000 cal, but burn off 800? I don't understand how it's meant to work!

This is a hot topic and a great question. Those that understand how MFP is set up will tell you to eat the exercise calories back, or at least most of them. Some will tell you that, with your initial goals that you entered, the exercise is factored in. Wrong. They aren't.

PLEASE, eat calories back. The MFP calorie settings are there for your to approx lose the weight you defined base on NET calories (after eating and exercise).

Personally, I usually eat back between 80 - 120% of the calories, depending on the type of work out. 80% on cardio days, 120% on weight lifting days.
  • runningwild00
    Options
    500 calories a day, EASY. It depends on the exercise you do, I suppose.
    I run at least 4 miles, 4 days/ week. Further runs, obviously burn more. Usually at least 500 calories burned. The other 2 days I bike, I usually burn 300 ish calories.

I track my walking for my daily life, because i walk about 3 miles for work a day. That's usually at least 100 ish calories.
    I don't track what I burn AT work, which I bet could be close to 200-400 calories. I have a very active and physically demanding job.

I don't usually eat all my calories back. Sometimes it depends on the workout and the day. If I do a really long run, I usually seek out extra food that day. I don't try to eat the calories back, just to eat the goal. I still try to be sensible.

What do you do for exercise???
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I normally do around 300/day but yesterday I did over 500. Did Insanity's "Pure Cardio" and another workout DVD. Took me about an hour & 1/2. I am very sore today haha
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's possible. I earned 815 yesterday. 362 from Running 55 minutes and 453 from a generally very active day (recorded by Fitbit).

How do you like your Fitbit. Pros/cons?. I use a hrm but, having something that transmits to mfp without having to log into mpg, gets me thinking...