Pale Skin - Is it really that bad?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    we gingers do NOT look good with a tan. sun can kill us if we use it long enough to "tan" - and by that i mean our freckles merge. and fake-and-bake looks TERRIBLE with our hair/eyes. we gingers are meant to be a pale ppl.

I disagree with this. I'm a freckly ginger with olive skin. My family is Italian/Jewish. I tan standing next to a window and I don't think think that I look so horrible. We're rare, but we happen. :glasses:

True--I know several brown-eyed redheads who are quite striking with a tan. Probably we should go for what makes us look natural and healthy. :smile: I have to agree with one of the posters that fake tans look a bit weird--especially on redheads and blondes.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Pale skin is great! I say...if you're pale...EMBRACE IT!

I'm particularly attracted to redheads with pale skin and freckles. But seriously...it's simply a matter of taste. Some people like red wine...some like white...some will drink ANYTHING. :smile:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    we gingers do NOT look good with a tan. sun can kill us if we use it long enough to "tan" - and by that i mean our freckles merge. and fake-and-bake looks TERRIBLE with our hair/eyes. we gingers are meant to be a pale ppl.

I disagree with this. I'm a freckly ginger with olive skin. My family is Italian/Jewish. I tan standing next to a window and I don't think think that I look so horrible. We're rare, but we happen. :glasses:

True--I know several brown-eyed redheads who are quite striking with a tan. Probably we should go for what makes us look natural and healthy. :smile: I have to agree with one of the posters that fake tans look a bit weird--especially on redheads and blondes.

Ooooh yeah, I can't do fake tanners. I turn neon Cheeto orange. Blah, sexy lol.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you mean OP, people usually aren't a big fan of paleness.

Currently I'm so white it's ridiculous. I used to hate it, that I was never able to be tan like "everyone else" but now I'm over it. It is what it is.
  • lotusspark
    Options
    Wow, I get that a lot too..mostly in RL. Ppl want to hate for every reason under the sun, which not all of us are fortunate to have natural pigments..I think ALL skin colors are beautiful.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm pale. Practically see through. And my hair is naturally very very dark. I can't tan (wouldn't if I could)...the most that happens without a burn is that I get this goldeny brown type color (like toast!) and freckles....I like being pale. I just need to up the SPF haha.

I have an albino friend. Now that is difficult. Her skin and eyes are super sensative to the sun.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I used to worship the tanning beds, and I used to be VERY ORANGE lol. I honestly can see the damage on my skin too, and I hate it! I havent tanned in over 3 years and I completely embrace my whiteness now... every time someone asks why I dont tan I tell them that PALE is the new TAN...
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have olive skin & i personally think fair skin is beautiful.

I envy people who are lighter than me in general.

Sometimes i wish i had fair skin so i can feel more accepted.

Even when growing up i was teased & shunned alot for not having fair or lighter skin like the other White girls.

So i personally think fair skin is just as beautiful.
    :smile:
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

There are some day-walkers(red heads that can go out in the sun for more than 10 minutes) that don't have the freckles and super sensitive skin....but MOST do. And you dont' want to look like lindsay lohan orange by getting a spray tan either
    My fiance is a "day-walker", but only to an extent. He still lobsterizes lol. No freckles anywhere, though.
  • HermioneCantDraw
    Options
    I'm a Scot/Irish Blonde haired/blue eyed super pale person myself. I spent all summer on a swim team and achieved...

nothing. Almost no tan.

Ok, a little tan. But not much.

I'm ok with my pale skin. I made peace with it.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I just tell them I'm proud to be a white girl! That usually stops them.

hahah me too , but it seems my niece is the main one who picks on me (she is naturally tan *white girl, then i have another niece and a great niece who are both mexican, so I guess my oldest niece is used to tanner people) .. I am proud to be white .. she should be proud to be tan and if your black, green , purple etc, you should feel proud to be you
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Scottish, Irish, and German. I'm fluorescent in the dark, I'm sure. Sun exposure for about 10 minutes equals a pretty stellar burn. The only "tan" bit of me is my arms but that's because they are the only part of me, minus my face, that has constant sun exposure, so it has built up some natural color. Oh.. And I'm freckling EVERYWHERE NOW! Every day, sun exposure or not, I am positive I have a new one...
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think pale, or "fair" skin as I like to call it is perfectly fine, especially on women. Some of the most beautiful girls I've ever known have been fair-skinned. I was just having this convo with a close friend the other day. She stresses getting tan like it's mandatory. I keep telling her how gorgeous she is with fair skin, but it falls on deaf ears.

Only time pale skin is a bad thing is like in my case, when your arms are two-tone, ugh...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I :heart: everybody!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the three redheads on the planet who get a tan without trying. I never sunbathe as I don't want to get wrinkles and never go out in the sun in summer without a hat but I still go a lot darker than my blonde sister or brown haired brother.

I say work with what you've got and never fake tan, it just looks silly (and often smells bad too).
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I need a tan tho :c I hate being pale, girls look alright if pale, guys - not so much
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I :heart: everybody!

QFT.

I am comfortable in my skin(tone), but I do envy some of the darker shades as well. They get to wear so many more colors than I do, and better!! I am able to tan (Native American father), but at the price of burning first (Irish mother). While I used to be a beach person back in the day, having a sun-kissed complexion just doesn't seem worth the effort and/or discomfort anymore.

*Edit* See hands in picture for scale of pale.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm a red-head too. So I'd burn if I tried to tan, & I refuse to use fake tan. I'd look ridiculous probably lol. I like being pale.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    strange, I'm a red head but have no freckles and tan easily. But I do prefer to be pale as I don't like the thought of looking like a leather handbag by the time i'm 40.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    I am comfortable in my skin(tone), but I do envy some of the darker shades as well. They get to wear so many more colors than I do, and better!! I am able to tan (Native American father), but at the price of burning first (Irish mother). While I used to be a beach person back in the day, having a sun-kissed complexion just doesn't seem worth the effort and/or discomfort anymore.

*Edit* See hands in picture for scale of pale.

I'm the same way. My mother is Hispanic and my father is German and English and I ended up being pale. Like you, I have to burn severely first, and after it heals it just stays dark, ridiculously long too! However, I'm not too into burning my entire body at once to have an even tan (ouch!) so pale it is for me.