Not convinced (Give me proof)-Women & Weights

Options

Replies

• sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the massive quoting but ... What Sara said. If you want to stay 'soft' looking, you want to build muscle but keep your bodyfat higher.

I'm 5'6" 165 so pretty close to your "goal" and I suppose I fit your definition of curvy, where curvy means soft (but not MY definition of curvy which to me means having a build with wider hips and a smaller waist) I've just got a layer of fat over everything. Really, it makes me look MORE curvy than I actually am. Take 10 pounds of fat, spread it all over Sara and give her my smaller butt and extra belly and that's what I'm talking about. (*sigh* Sara, you look so hawtsome.)

But the thing is, if you don't lift, at 168 and 5'5.5" you will probably just still just look overweight, not curvy. Maintaining strong muscle on UNDER the fat makes everything look smoother. Losing weight without keeping up your muscle will just make everything sag and flab proportionately. So you NEED to do resistance training and eat enough protein if you want to get the body you like at 168. And in terms of bulking, you won't. At most in a deficit, as a beginner training consistently and who has a lot of fat to lose and assuming you're genetically advantaged towards muscle gain, you're looking at maybe adding a few pounds of muscle over 4-6 months of consistent training, and you won't add any more after that.

There's kind of 2 aspects to getting bulky. Or well. 3 where one is drugs. Stay away from performance enhancing drugs and that's like 90% of of the battle right there. The second one is how much you eat. Eat maintenance or a deficit and your body isn't going to want to build metabolically EXPENSIVE (in terms of calories needed to create and maintain it) muscle. The third one is programming. Do a full body program 3x a week with compound movements (no isolation/single joint movements) and you are leaning more towards strengthening the existing muscle than building new muscle fiber.

Ask any genuinely bulky body builder, male or female, what they do to build those physiques. I assure you the answer is not "45 minutes to an hour of compound lifts 3x a week at the gym" and that is the answer that most of us would give you if you asked us what you should do right now.

This was very informative and helpful!
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Great advice and pictures guys!!!!
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Im sorry if there any oddly placed words in there as im trying to type this in the rain on the street corner cause I heard someone was worried to try and that breaks my heart. If it hadn't been for lifting, id have given up on ever having a body id love naked.

Now I have it ;)

Please join the club ...

tumblr_mekdjiCdDO1qffloyo1_r1_500.jpg

please tell me you are 6ft tall!! Because you only weigh 4 pounds less than me and I look nothing like that! :sad:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If I were going to guess if I could get the results posted by another woman, I'd ask myself things like:

Do I have the same body type?
    Am I about the same age?
    What was the other woman's weight and body fat percentage when she started and what are they now?
    If she's at her goal weight, how is her body fat distributed? Am I similar?

It's like what I heard someone once say about The Ballerina Body Workout: The best way to get a ballerina body is to be born with the kind of body that professional ballerinas have.

Genetics does play a role. In America, the ability to transform oneself through exercise tends to be exaggerated. Don't get me wrong: fitness is important. But don't believe the hype.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    If I were going to guess if I could get the results posted by another woman, I'd ask myself things like:

Am I about the same age?
    What was the other woman's weight and body fat percentage when she started and what are they now?

It's like what I heard someone once say about The Ballerina Body Workout: The best way to get a ballerina body is to be born with the kind of body that professional ballerinas have.

Genetics does play a role. In America, the ability to transform oneself through exercise tends to be exaggerated. Don't get me wrong: fitness is important. But don't believe the hype.

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • armonson63
    armonson63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sooo, I've heard weight lifting/training DOES NOT bulk women up (cause we don't have testosterone, etc.,) and I can believe this- to an extent, but I'm still not totally convinced. I see alot of women on here lifting, but it always seems that their already at the goal weight or within 10-15lbs. I never see any transformations from someone who HAS lost +65lbs or needs to lose +65lbs.

I'm very scared to utilize weights at such a large size, how would it NOT bulk me up? I just need some solid information on how to go about this, and some pics would really help!

I have no desire to be bulky, or even muscular, at all- I just want to be lean and defined at my goal weight.

Thanks in advance (no negativity, please)
    That can't happen without lifting some serious weights (and I mean real weights, not those tiny girly dumbbells). You really think those women you mentioned didn't lift while they were still heavy? How would you know? Please never ever judge people just because of what you see. FYI, I was obese just 3 years ago and I lift heavy while dieting & cardio. If all I did was cardio & diet then I would end up thin but with a saggy skin no matter if I'm at a goal weight or not.

Before this thread goes toward a negative direction, I'm not judging or accussing anyone of anything- all I said was: I never see any transformations from someone who HAS lost +65lbs or needs to lose +65lbs.

With that being said, thank everyone for their input thus far, I appreciate it.

I get what you're saying....you just want to know can you lose a significant amount of weight, and by significant I mean a whole lot of weight...40lbs, 50lbs..whatever, lifting weights...heavy weights. I had that same question when I purchased "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". So I've decided to experiment on myself and see what happens. I'm setting up a home gym and working on managing my eating (a big issue with me). If you want to friend me and we can try this together (and anyone else), contact me. ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Am I about the same age?

But that's what's so wonderful about a topic like this on a forum like this. You CAN find other women with similar body shapes, similar lifestyles, etc.

I'm not the least bit inspired by Jamie Eason or Jillian Michaels or other famous fitness gurus. They look great, but that's their job. I don't know what they looked like before, and I know it's taken them years and years and years of focusing only on their fitness and bodies to look the way they do.

But seeing the transformations from real women on here... that's amazing! And inspiring. I've found other women with similar body types and followed their progress. I never expected to look just like them, or like a fitness model, or ... I just never really had any expectations about what my body would look like. I just wanted to be fit and strong.

But seeing someone who had a bum like my bum used to look turn it into a cute perky bum sure as hell made me want to do what they were doing. Seeing someone with a torso like mine nip in their waist as if they were wearing an invisible corset sure as hell made me want to do what they were doing. Seeing someone with cellulite like I had greatly reduce the appearance of it sure as hell made me want to do what they were doing.

You see diet ads all the time with the disclaimer "results not typical," but in my experience... these ARE the typical results of weight training.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options

Am I about the same age?

But that's what's so wonderful about a topic like this on a forum like this. You CAN find other women with similar body shapes, similar lifestyles, etc.

I'm not the least bit inspired by Jamie Eason or Jillian Michaels or other famous fitness gurus. They look great, but that's their job. I don't know what they looked like before, and I know it's taken them years and years and years of focusing only on their fitness and bodies to look the way they do.

But seeing the transformations from real women on here... that's amazing! And inspiring. I've found other women with similar body types and followed their progress. I never expected to look just like them, or like a fitness model, or ... I just never really had any expectations about what my body would look like. I just wanted to be fit and strong.

But seeing someone who had a bum like my bum used to look turn it into a cute perky bum sure as hell made me want to do what they were doing. Seeing someone with a torso like mine nip in their waist as if they were wearing an invisible corset sure as hell made me want to do what they were doing. Seeing someone with cellulite like I had greatly reduce the appearance of it sure as hell made me want to do what they were doing.

You see diet ads all the time with the disclaimer "results not typical," but in my experience... these ARE the typical results of weight training.

I agree with you too Lynn! To me, you both said the same things in different ways and tones :)
    I have gotten some good information from people with similar body frames. I love and appreciate MFP so!
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    That's showing them :smile:

Congrats on the new you and thanks for sharing!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im sorry if there any oddly placed words in there as im trying to type this in the rain on the street corner cause I heard someone was worried to try and that breaks my heart. If it hadn't been for lifting, id have given up on ever having a body id love naked.

Now I have it ;)

Please join the club ...

tumblr_mekdjiCdDO1qffloyo1_r1_500.jpg

please tell me you are 6ft tall!! Because you only weigh 4 pounds less than me and I look nothing like that! :sad:

:-/ sorry

if it makes you feel any better, I looked fat AND fit at 170... I was both a 12 and an 8 at that weight - dont worry about the scale babe. When you switch to lifting, you can just throw it away and get a big beautiful mirror and a measuring tape.
  • sittinginthesun
    sittinginthesun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lifted weights while I was losing. I started tracking calories on January 30th this year and the first time I tried weightlifting was February 22nd, although I didn't take it as seriously for the first couple months. I still left my exercise cardio heavy until I dropped more weight.
    I did lose the last 20-25 pounds with the majority of my exercise focused on weightlifting and kept cardio to sports only. I stopped getting on the treadmill, elliptical, etc and spent the entire time I was at the gym lifting. I got calorie burns from running around on the softball field.
    I liked what lifting was doing for my body. Please remember it doesn't happen overnight. You really have to stick with it.

Me in December last year:

8131763547_76229691dd.jpg
    12311 by JenniferSPalmer, on Flickr

Me in March, I had lost about 15 pounds already, notice the amount of fat on my legs:

8131992757_2f8c4eb4a3.jpg
    Image03182012180601 by JenniferSPalmer, on Flickr

Me in June after a total weight loss of around 35 pounds and more focus on lifting:

7888175230_e2f85e140d.jpg
    62012 012 by JenniferSPalmer, on Flickr

Notice how much less fat was on my legs.

A pic of me after I had lost about 5 pounds:

8003549194_f65d20a6f0.jpg
    16473868_7658 by JenniferSPalmer, on Flickr

A pic of me from a couple days ago, maintaining weight loss of 50 pounds since July, then lost 5 pounds while trying to figure out the right calories, have been able to remain steady since October.

8254510083_7ff3376fba.jpg
    12412 010 by JenniferSPalmer, on Flickr

I am 5'6" tall and went from 190 pounds to 135 pounds.

AMAZING!!!
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Am I about the same age?

But many people on mfitnesspal are acting as if everyone will get the same results from lifting. They are dismissing the comments of people with experience who explain why that is not the case. That's as bad as the old attitude that women should never use weights. It's like the average and taller people who keep insisting that all short women consume calorie amounts that would guarantee they become obese. They don't know what they're talking about.

I'm normal weight, would like to lose a few pounds, but I wouldn't look willowy if I strapped a willow tree to my torso. I'm not built that way.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Am I about the same age?

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're very welcome, and best of luck.
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Really, in the grand scheme of it, you're going to lose weight if you exercise at all. If you want to try it, then try it and see what happens for you. If you're not sure it's for you, don't do it. Either way, you're going to lose weight. We always have opinions because something works great for us, but that doesn't mean it will fit your life and plans. My experience is mine, and yours might be different.
    I didn't read the ENTIRE thread, but I just wanted to add that I have about 86 pounds to lose altogether (and have currently lost 34.4), and I started lifting "heavy" about one month in (I *really* started mfp November 2012) after seeing threads about it on here. It has been AMAZING for my body. I'm very obviously losing fat and defining my lean mass. I have a long way to go, and I didn't want to do cardio for 6 months THEN have to start doing weight training. For me, I thought why not do it all to begin with and, even if it takes me longer to reach my goal, I'll [hopefully] be happy once I get there. I usually do a cardio warm-up (15 minutes jog), and then a routine of body weight exercises and heavy lifting. I also do zumba three days a week (and skip the 15 minute jog on those days). I L-O-V-E weights. Mostly, I love seeing how much I'm capable of doing. It makes me want to say, "boo yah!" every time I increase it. :)

At two pounds more than I am now, I happen to have measurements saved from my first attempt at losing weight (I did ONLY cardio). My upper stomach is about 3 inches smaller and my hips/butt about 2 inches smaller. (those are the only two measurements I saved).

Good luck with your decision!
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm butt-rich. I think you'd consider me curvy. :)
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Quick Question, What do you gals consider "heavy" I have just started weight training and am not sure what is considered heavy
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Quick Question, What do you gals consider "heavy" I have just started weight training and am not sure what is considered heavy

Reference this thread for some examples - but please note that everyone has different training histories and capabilities. Heavy is very subjective and depends on the person - so whatever you can lift 6-8 times and be at or close to failure is pretty darn heavy.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky?page=8#posts-13357702
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Do not fear the weights...make the weights fear you...ROAR...etc.

Hello!

I've lost 83lb with a combination of cardio (to largely blitz the fat), kettlebells (to improve my core strength) and heavy lifting (to shape up initially underneath the flab, and then the muscle that popped to the surface once the flab melted).

I lift heavy several times a week. I am not bulky. I could elaborate on this but really...all it boils down to.

I have to wax my face and am losing my hair to male pattern baldness because of PCOS. I STILL can't bulk up, even if I wanted to. I recommend lifting to every woman I know - for the increase in endurance, strength, and for me - confidence.

My before and after - 224lb to just over 140lb.

You can do it.

Office_zpsea2d4c07.jpg

FD9DFD2B-31EB-461B-A2AE-685C1D9D1D90-5037-000004987A11F260.jpg
  • samanthaheber
    samanthaheber Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Most peoples lift because muscle burns more calories then fat, just at rest. I've been lifting for the past 5 months and I have gotten stronger, yet I don't look as if I have. It takes a lot for a girl to become really bulky. Just don't over-do it.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Check out my before's and afters on my page. I HATE cardio but do it because it's good for my metabolism, my heart and vascular system and everything else - I lift 3-4x per week.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!