The Low Carb Debate

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No carb is not the same as low carb. Low carb consists of vegetables that have high nutrional content: broccoli, green leafy veggies, spinach, cauliflower, berries just to name a few. Low carb eliminates most frankenfoods, sugar and incorporates good fat (olive oil, coconut oil).
    Thats what I'd consider "slow carb" by and large. :smile: Regardless of title, it's mostly how I live, with the addition of the very rare whole grains.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    There are some of us that because of a medical condition have to do a low carb lifestyle choices. I am now in this camp after my recent diagnoses. I was previously doing a high carb (60%), then later switched to a moderate (50%). Try out the differ choices (high carbs, moderate carbs, lower carbs, or low carbs) until you find one that works for you. I wish you luck on your new lifestyle choice.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Let me think about this. Carbs usually come in the form of white pasta that hold absolutely no nutritional value. Carbs also come in the forms of sugars. Both are considered junk to many. Why eat 200 calories of carbs when you can eat 200 calories of something with some nutritional value?

What some people fail to realize is that their is a HUGE difference between good carbs and bad carbs. It is also a matter of opinion depending on who you talk to, who they talked to, and what popular book they are reading.

I follow a low-carb diet because of a medical problem. I have PCOS which makes me insulin resistant. I started low-carbing this year and have finally been able to lose weight. Not only that, I feel great.

I also have osteoarthritis in my hips and degenerative disk disease in my back which makes exercise extremely painful. Following low-carb I feel energized and not all run down. I feel clean and not junky. I am able to kick the treadmill's *kitten* and fight through the pain a lot easier. Best part is I am 100% off all medication and changing my life in a healthy way.

The point is to find a lifestyle plan that will work for you. Not a diet. Whether it be a low-carb, diabetic style low carb, Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, or Primal; find what works for you. We all tolerate different foods in a different manner. While one person can follow South Beach and lose a ton of weight, others have problems sticking to it.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options

The point is to find a lifestyle plan that will work for you. Not a diet. Whether it be a low-carb, diabetic style low carb, Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, or Primal; find what works for you. We all tolerate different foods in a different manner. While one person can follow South Beach and lose a ton of weight, others have problems sticking to it.

Exactly!!! This is not a temporary diet. This is a lifestyle change. Some of us have no choice but to turn to low carb and people need to fine tune these programs to work for them. I follow a Ketogenic program (65/30/5) and it works for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I think this thread makes one thing clear: folks have very different ideas about what "low carb" means.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I find that "medium" carb is enough to control my cravings. I tend to get ~150 carbs a day, but I don't track by carbs. I just limit my grains - always whole, usually 1-2 a day - and fruit - always fresh, usually 1 a day. To stay under 50, you have to avoid grains, fruit and dairy almost entirely.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose the weight you want by August! Good luck! I did low carb in the distant past, but the problem with that is that when you go back to a regular diet, you gain the weight back. I've learned that my new habits need to be a sustainable lifestyle, not a short-term diet, so that it's something I can continue forever. So I've switched to a medium carb diet - 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. This is much more sustainable and I've lost 40 pounds so far and I look fantastic - I'm very happy with this ratio. Please feel free to look at my diary.
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets don't make you lose weight any faster than a balanced diet. All that matters is that you're in a calorie deficit.

However, I prefer low carb because it makes it much easier for me to control my cravings. When I don't eat a lot of carbs, I don't crave them. Not everyone feels this way, but some do.

I'm this way also so I usually eat most of my carbs at night before bed.
    I can't go ultra low to no carb for long though.
    I feel deflated & start to feel like crap.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets don't make you lose weight any faster than a balanced diet. All that matters is that you're in a calorie deficit.

However, I prefer low carb because it makes it much easier for me to control my cravings. When I don't eat a lot of carbs, I don't crave them. Not everyone feels this way, but some do.

Actually, there are multiple studies that suggest (but don't prove), that weight loss on a low carb diet can be greater than other choices for most people. The problem I have with very low carb diets such as what the OP is suggesting is that they are rarely sustainable. Most people just can't continue to eat that way long term.

This pretty much matches my own experience, by the way. I lost A LOT of weight a few years ago almost effortlessly eating low carb, but eventually it just became too hard to maintain and I ended up gaining it all back and then some. While I try to watch my refined carb intake now, I'll never go back to eating that way again. I'd rather lose slowly and keep it gone forever, instead of lose it quickly, just to gain it back.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Actually, there are multiple studies that suggest (but don't prove), that weight loss on a low carb diet can be greater than other choices for most people. The problem I have with very low carb diets such as what the OP is suggesting is that they are rarely sustainable. Most people just can't continue to eat that way long term.

This pretty much matches my own experience, by the way. I lost A LOT of weight a few years ago almost effortlessly eating low carb, but eventually it just became too hard to maintain and I ended up gaining it all back and then some. While I try to watch my refined carb intake now, I'll never go back to eating that way again. I'd rather lose slowly and keep it gone forever, instead of lose it quickly, just to gain it back.
    I would bet the same is said for most "diets". I know we love the phrase "lifestyle". But time will tell if what everyone is doing now, to lose weight will become their "lifestyle"....
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The low carb diet works great for people who love low carb foods. You already admitted being a carb lover so you will probably be better off in the long run with a well balanced diet.

Also being a chef you should have the ability and creativity to come up with low calorie recipes that won't bore you. Some of us eat plain chicken on a regular basis.

I worked as a chef for ten years so I understand the drinking and partying and having great food around all the time. And this does not include all the tasting you have to do as part of the job.

good luck to you. I wish you the best.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options

That was my experience. I did Atkins and lost 75 LBs in 5 months eating 5000 calories a day and not exercising. Couldn't maintain the lifestyle though.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins and lost 75 LBs in 5 months eating 5000 calories a day and not exercising.

I like how you make things up.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

That was my experience. I did Atkins and lost 75 LBs in 5 months eating 5000 calories a day and not exercising. Couldn't maintain the lifestyle though.

Jimmy Moore? :O
  • TheNewDodge
    Options
    I did Atkins and lost 75 LBs in 5 months eating 5000 calories a day and not exercising.

Busted. It has been years. I just used the database to figure out cals per day based on what I used to eat.

6 eggs
    10 slices of bacon

16 oz of chicken

12 oz ground beef

6 slices of cheddar

6 TBSPs of Ranch

Closer to 2500 calories. I am surprised.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Busted. It has been years. I just used the database to figure out cals per day based on what I used to eat.

6 eggs
    10 slices of bacon

16 oz of chicken

12 oz ground beef

6 slices of cheddar

6 TBSPs of Ranch

Respect.
  • TheNewDodge
    Options

6 eggs
    10 slices of bacon

16 oz of chicken

12 oz ground beef

6 slices of cheddar

6 TBSPs of Ranch

Respect.

Haha. I don't internet very well. I am truly shocked. i remember eating so much. Figured 5K was conservative. Crazy.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hey all! First real posting on here.
    I'm desperately trying to lose weight in time for my wedding this August, and my soon to be mother-in-law just recently lost over 50 pounds on a low carb (less than 50 grams a day) diet. My sister and brother in law are also trying it with similar great results.
    While I know I'm basically a carb-a-holic and eat far too many refined sugars and flours, I've also heard that low carb diets are not a good weight loss tool. I've been doing this for about three days and I can report only feeling groggy and grouchy. My fiance purchased some B vitamins to help with that, but I guess what I want to know is if it's worth all the trouble?

Thanks!

It can be a superb way to lose weight.

My fiancée runs a clinic here in SoCal (a chain of 40+ clinics in business for over 4 decades) and they put people on a low carb diet so that they get into ketosis.

After all of those years, their metrics tell them that patients who follow their food recommendations lose, on average, 10% of their mass in a 10 week program.

Debbie and I met in November, 2010 and walking into her clinic and see the before and after pix was instrumental in my decision to lose weight. I did not follow their plan but my diet was similar (my diary is open to the public).

I lost 95 pounds in 7 months and my weight loss was so regular that I was able to predict my weight.

I weigh daily and upload my results almost daily here:

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

I am the first to admit that the results of one person are nothing more than the results of one person but what is undeniable is that the company she works for has helped people use a low carb diet to lose weight for a long, long time and they get excellent results.

Best of luck in your weight loss journey!
  • Nessa0506
    Options
    I eat carbohydrates depending on what in doing for the day. I eat more on days I workout and highest on high interval training days. I eat on the lower range when doing light-moderate cardio. I try to eat the least on rest days. I allow myself one guiltless cheat meal a week but honestly I don't use it very often. I believe that tailoring your eating to match your calorie expenditure is the best way to lose weight AND to maintain it. This is just my opinion...
  • Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

here here...so true re the cravings.