Books: Are you reading anything?

Replies

• smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Just finished "Gypsy Boy" by Mikey Walsh and am about to start "Death Comes To Pemberley" by PD James

"Death Comes To Pemberley" was horrible or maybe my expectations were just way too high.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    I just finished reading Deayeye **** (by Kurt Vonnegut,) the story of a young boy who commits double manslaughter with a single shot. It's a very lightweight novel and a quick read.

In audio, I just finished a children's (ages 8-12) book, The Bell Bandit (by Jacqueline Davies; narrated by Stina Neilson.) The story is a about bell that goes missing from the farm of two children's grandmother. I have no issue with the narration; but quite a bit with the writing: It's indulges into dark emotions like hatred and animal cruelty which was too much for my daughter (who stopped listening.)

I'm currently reading The Age of Innocence (by Edith Wharton) as a part of a personal challenge to read a few of Wharton's novels this year.

In audio, I'm listening to A Cold Day for Murder (by Dana Stabenow; narrated by Marguerite Gavin,) a mystery set in Alaska.

Next Up: The Great Gatsby (by F. Scott Fitzgerald)
    I can't remember if I've actually read this or not! If I have, it's been so long ago that it will be new-to-me :-D

Next Up (Audio): The Shape of Water (by Andrea Camillieri; translated by Stephen Satorelli (?); narrated by Grover Gardner,) a mystery set in Italy

Exercising a little of the mind as well as the body! :-)
  • Haruki rulz!!!:)))
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member

Just finished Stephen King's Under The Dome though. Love Stephen King.

CBS, Steven Spielberg, and Stephen King are making this into a TV series set to come out this year.
  • Just finished "Gypsy Boy" by Mikey Walsh and am about to start "Death Comes To Pemberley" by PD James

"Death Comes To Pemberley" was horrible or maybe my expectations were just way too high.

That's disappointing to hear...I love PD James and I love "Pride and Prejudice" so I thought it would be a great combination! :huh:
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 164 Member
    The Time Traveler's Wife!! So good... and since it's broken up into so many little episodes or chapters, it's so easy to pick up when I have a few minutes.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    I'm reading this Kindle serial "Yesterdays Gone".

http://www.amazon.com/Yesterdays-Gone-Season-One-ebook/dp/B005REXCKE/

Kind of a post-apocalyptic story where most of the people have disappeared overnight.

I like the format - short chapters, multiple "seasons". Like ratellcm says, this makes it easy to pick up and put down.
  • Always by Carol Rose, for book club!
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    I'm currently reading the Harry Potter series. I read the first one when it came out but now I'm getting into the other ones. I'm on the 5th book now :D

I'm actually re-reading the Harry Potter series right now. I read them all when each one of them came out but haven't touched them since the last one was published almost 6 years ago. I'm on book 3 now. :happy:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    "I Shall Wear Midnight" - Terry Pratchett
  • Currently reading Arnold Schwarzenegger's biography. Quite entertaining.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    [/quote]

OMG!!!! Love, love Vampire Academy! Rose is an awesome character, strong but not without flaws. Just too good. I think the other series is Temeraire, right? If it is the book is good, but for some reason I found it hard to read.

I just finished Partials and it was GOOD, not OMG I can't stop thinking about it kind of good, but I still recommend it.
    [/quote]

Yep the Temeraire series, I've reread each book at least twice, and found new information each time. It is a challenging read, but sooooo good!
  • JenniferM_017
    JenniferM_017 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm currently reading a series by Janet Evanovich about a woman that becomes a bounty hunter...albeit a bumbling one. She always gets her man though. I'm on the fifth book.

I LOVE those books. I just finished the 19th installment. Those characters crack me up. Have you watched the movie yet? I wasn't happy with Katherine Higel playing Stephanie or the guy that played Ranger but overall it was a cute movie.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    I have read all of the Vanessa Davis Griggs books, can't wait for her newest one to come out now....I also read the Book-Night Hawk by Beverly Jenkins that one was pretty good and The Haunted Rectory by Katherine Valentine. I like the Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear books and I liked the book-I Don't have enough Faith to be an Athiest by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek.
  • JenniferM_017
    JenniferM_017 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm currently reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. After I read her book Gone Girl, I had to read everything by here. So far this is the 3rd book I've read by her. Next up either The Surgeon By Tess Gerritsen ( tv show Rizzoli & Isles is based on these books) or The Pretty Little Liars series. I love reading!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I'm reading: "I heard you paint houses" Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran and Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa

My goodreads challenge is 18 but I am hoping to read 2 a month. I only read on the bus to/from work and on my half hour lunch break. At home I read magazines. Sometimes I'll read my books on weekends if I have some extra time or am close to finishing.
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Les Miserables for the first time ever :) Enjoying it.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Currently reading Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and waiting for Scarlet by Marissa Mayer (e-book version on hold at the of my local library)
  • Xenocide by Orscan scott Card
    "I Shall Wear Midnight" - Terry Pratchett

is that any good?
  • sorry for the double post...hit the wrong button.