I feel alot slimmer but scale isn't going down much

Options
I have been dieting and working out since Jan. 13. I feel lighter and my stomach seems slimmer, my friends and family say my face and arms look skinnier, but I have only lost 5 lbs. I feel like the scale is lying and I am discouraged. Any tips or support? I went from not working out, (but I am an active person normally) and eating whatever I wanted, to cutting carbs, watching calories and sugar intake, and doing 3-6 days of cardio a week. I am fast walking on treadmill, elliptical trainer, and stationary biking.

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If you're slimming down, YOU WIN. The scale is just a number. :flowerforyou:
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    same thing happened to me this morning. I started dieting and exercising around Jan 20th (even though I started on myfitnesspal account Jan.31st) and I feel lighter and thinner and I am fitting in my clothes more easily and others have pointed out that my face looks thinner as well as my overall body. I go on the scale this morning and nada. nothing. not one pound lighter. I am starting to wonder if this is water retention.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you're slimming down, YOU WIN. The scale is just a number. :flowerforyou:

Totally. 5lbs in a month is on par with what I've always been told is a healthy, reasonable loss rate that you're more likely to keep off.
  • mrskperry
    mrskperry Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The best reminder I have seen in these instances is a picture of a woman who weighed 155 in both pictures, but she doesn't look like the same woman.

Check her out: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=155+lbs+woman&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=A8D3EC00101A59236BF6FE6F777891729F255B15&selectedIndex=2

There's nothing to be disouraged over!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Are you REALLY going to let yourself be defined by the number on a mechanical object?

NO, I say, NO!!!

I'm at 25% body fat and 25 pounds heavier than when I graduated college at 35% body fat.

It's NOT about the number!!! Don't let that little mechanical instrument of doom dictate WHO YOU ARE! :)
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Start using a tape measure and tracking your body fat. Those numbers tell you so much more than a scale alone ever could.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Take measurements ( if you are not already)...
    They are so much more reliable when it comes to tracking your progress than the scale.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time :) Great feeling, don't worry about the number just the way you feel!
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try looking at your body fat percentage instead of your weight. I am experiencing the same thing but yesterday I figured it out and I am losing 1.5 pounds a week on average. Pretty good loss and very healthy. Keep with it. There are lots of people just like you on here to support. Add me if you like.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat :)
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    yea the number around your waist should be more of an indicater then the number on the scale

I read somewhere that protein can get sucked up in our bones as water to replinish them after we work out, and that can mask weight loss

I say start to mesure your waist butt, thighs, neck, and chest to keep you motivated
  • obiwanvaldes
    Options
    ^^^ What they said.

Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are losing fat while gaining muscle, the scale may not move much.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Use a tape measure! I lost nothing this week...BUT I lost inches! I was mega upset that the scale didn't move, but when I got out tape measure....I was all smiles :bigsmile:
  • f1tforever
    f1tforever Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale away!

Use a measuring tape and the way your clothes fit as a measure of your loss :) much more accurate!

Heres a good article:

http://everythingatkins.net/scalelies.html
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This has just started to happen to me....I have an item of clothing that is tight at moment...seeing it fit better shows me it is working...
  • slowe33
    Options
    Yes! Measurement are the way to go. :smile:
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    5 lbs. since Jan. 13th is a great loss! Definitely something to be proud of!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with measurements because I have weeks where I will stay the same weight on the scale and my clothes will be too big for me due to changes in "weight". The scale really is just a number and if you do weights then measuring can give you an accurate full picture. Good luck and hang in there....you will see results!
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    Are you REALLY going to let yourself be defined by the number on a mechanical object?

NO, I say, NO!!!

I'm at 25% body fat and 25 pounds heavier than when I graduated college at 35% body fat.

It's NOT about the number!!! Don't let that little mechanical instrument of doom dictate WHO YOU ARE! :)

Thank you I needed to hear this today! I am giving up on the darn scale and putting it away for a month!
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to bet that yo have been doing some sort of resistance training. Like everyone else is saying, if measurements are changing for the better, you feel better, people notice good changes, and your clothes are looser, you are doing better than a scale will tell you.
    Always remember that muscle is denser than fat. When the scale "fails " you, go by measurements like waist, hips, and thighs. Ifyou can get your body composition done, that's great. Get it done about every 4 weeks.
    Another thing to remember is that if you are weight training, women do NOT bulk up easily. Don't worry about getting "too big".
    You're doing great. Keep up the hard work. You will be happier for it. :)