Discount for non-bratty kids

Options

Replies

• osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This whole thread reminds me of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUmJDVRDRTQ
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have two sweet babies, one is 5 and the other is 2. The 2 year old will occasionally let a out a screech in public ( when he cant get his way) but I do not let that stop me from getting out of the damn house. If all parents waited until their kids were "perfect" enough to be around other people then no one with children would ever get out. I am a SAHM and I dont know anyone in my area so when I have a chance to go out and have a meal I could care less that my little one is less than "perfect". He is 2 for goodness sakes. If anyone at a restaurant or store has a problem with my child occasionally "misbehaving" they can totally suck it!! Mamas gotta live too:)

p.s. I do not let him run wild and when he does start whining I do put a stop to it. But as anyone with kids know they dont listen 100% of the time. If I can get them to listen 80% I am doing pretty good:)

Yes, Mamas gotta live too BUT there is such thing as a baby sitter. Or go on a day that is better for your child. And before you accuse me of being of the childless I have 4, yes 4, very well behaved children; inclusing a 2 y/o. Many times my husband and I have made plans for us all to go out and one of the kids is having a bad day so we sit it out and go another time. We put our children needs before our own.

On a 10 hour roadtrip recently we had to stop and eat and we chose Denny's. The 2 y/o was very cranky so we went in ordered and then I took the 2 y/o back to the car to play until it was time to eat. That way no one was bothered by her whining and fidgeting.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I can care less about a discount for well behaved children. But the term "well behaved child" is a crock of ****! All of you perfect parents how very lucky you are to have "well behaved children". Clearly you have never walked in the shoes of a parent with a child with autism.

Are you angry with all of the parents who aren't raising autistic kids? Because your reply sounds really bitter and judgmental. "well behaved children" is a relative term. Good behavior for my kid could be entirely different than the good behavior that an autistic child exhibits. It's not the job of everyone we encounter to know our children's good behavior from bad.
  • Marion_
    Marion_ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous. Rewarding kids who behave, or their parents, with MONEY? Something is going wrong here...

What should NORMALLY happen is: kids behaving in public places.
    If they don't, their parents should deal with it.
    If they do, their parents should tell them they're doing good.
    If they have medical issues, all their efforts should be noticed, even if their behaviour is not what could be expected from other kids.

Simple as that.

If the restaurant wants to do something about it, sometimes just telling the kids they should respect other patrons (in a polite way) can change their behaviour, just because it doesn't come from their parents. And when waiters or waitresses congratulate children or their parents for their good behaviour, it's always nice to hear!

But this discount sends the wrong message: kids shouldn't behave just so their parents could get a discount! ("Will you shut up, I don't have enough money to pay for your food!" lol)

(I don't even know why I'm posting on this thread :/ )
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    From a clinical and legal perspective...behavior modification, discipline, medical issues (ADD, ADHD, Autism, etc.) coupled with a healthy nurturing love for parenting children begins and ends in the home and is the sole responsibility of the parent(s). It does not begin nor end in a restaurant, classroom, doctor's office, etc per responsibility of parenting. However, good doctors and educators are certainly worth their weight in gold. It is a delicate balance and such a difficult task to raise a child in a healthy manner, and yet most honorable.

Secondly, the restaurant has the legal right to offer discounts or other business practices in whatever manner they choose as long as it is legal and within health codes. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with the restaurant's policies on offering discounts for well behaved children is irrelevant and not logical. If one views the restaurant's policies as unfair, again, it is irrelevant as the restaurant has the right.

Personally, I am thoroughly glad the restaurant has the right and freedom to make policies per their own view of legal business practices whether I like them or not; and whether I agree or disagree. Otherwise, the alternative is...not too pretty.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I was going to say I totally agree - but I've certainly done enough things that 'embarrass' friends (well, some of them) - like riding in a trolley, shouting my friends name across the supermarket to locate her or having a light sabre fight in front of a big crowd with another friend in a gadget shop (most of the people waiting in the dreary pre-christmas queues seemed amused at two circa-6' blokes reverting to 'starwars kid' :) ).

So; I'll say - if you let your kids do something you'd be embarrassed for your friends to do in a public place, maybe you should have better control? Sure, sometimes kids (and adults) just get in a mood - but for so many it seems to just be the way it works.
    As a kid it was certainly made clear to me that if I wanted to go places, I had to behave and I wouldn't be taken if I didn't.

I do have a dog - when I got him he was very dog aggressive. I've spent a lot of time researching and training him to be better. I do make sure I keep him under control around other dogs; and more, only let him have run of the park when there aren't any other dogs around.

I suspect I'd be more liikely to choose an eatery that was lees likely to have kids running around being annoying (though, on the above, would probably find various of my female friends asking for the same discount for me if I have behaved :P).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Kids will act the way their parents allow them to act. Good kids get rewarded all the time and acknowledged. Good parents should be too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I just had a thought for those saying it is wrong for the restaurant to reward the child's good behavior with "money." Do you tip more to a server who has done a good job (keeping your drinks refilled, fast and courteous service, etc) or ever tip less to a server who has not performed their duties to your satisfaction? Because if you don't ALWAYS tip the same percentage then you are *GASP* discriminating against "bad servers." You don't know if they are having a bad day. How dare you be so hypocritical!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    We went out to eat with our (then) 3.5 yr old to a casual American restaurant/brew pub.

At the end of the meal when the served brought us our bill he said
    "I was thinking 'Oh great! A kid at melt-down hour' when you guys sat down. But I have to say, your kid was the best behaved child I've ever had at this restaurant. Thanks! Wish more parents knew how to raise a child to behave in public."

He gave us a 10% discount on our bill.

When M was younger and would start acting up, we'd either take the meal to go, or take M our of the restaurant to be distracted until he could calm down. Now he knows if he acts up in public, that there is a consequence....usually it's a 'fun' thing that gets taken away. He gets one warning.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    What constitutes a "well-behaved kid" in the eyes of this restaurant?

The common sense answer? If your kid is screaming, running around the table, throwing things, making an excessive mess, and won't listen to you he/she is not well behaved. If you allow them to act that way at home that's bad enough but to subject other people to it because you're to lazy to parent is offensive. Also, before someone goes blathering on about how hard it is to be a parent guess what? You chose to be one! Don't apply for the job if you don't want it!
  • Marion_
    Marion_ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just had a thought for those saying it is wrong for the restaurant to reward the child's good behavior with "money." Do you tip more to a server who has done a good job (keeping your drinks refilled, fast and courteous service, etc) or ever tip less to a server who has not performed their duties to your satisfaction? Because if you don't ALWAYS tip the same percentage then you are *GASP* discriminating against "bad servers." You don't know if they are having a bad day. How dare you be so hypocritical!

True but we're talking about children here.
    I think they should be told to respect the others, just because that's what you should do, and not because you will get money if you do.

Not sure about the "tip" argument, because I'm from France and we don't tip servers here ;) jk
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    While it was nice of the restaurant to do, I don't think it's necessary. Why should you be rewarded for doing something you should already be doing?? I don't think the prospect of a few bucks off their bill is going to make someone a more conscientious parent.

If your kids are a terror in restaurants, stay home till they are old or mature enough to eat out. Period. I have 3 kids. We go out every weekend to lunch with them, ages 6, 4 and 6 months. The older ones know if they act up, we leave. And we have done it, left some money on the table for our drinks and went home. That only had to happen once and they got the picture. If the baby cries, one of us takes her out of the restaurant, and switches off when the other is done eating if necessary. But we try to eat out while she is sleeping or in a good mood.

And, we try to go to kid friendly restaurants, not wine bars like in the article, I remember what it was like to be without kids and not wanting one screaming next to you at a fancy restaurant you are at for your birthday, anniversary, etc. I still remember having a couple next to us on our anniversary. They had a high chair pulled up to their romantic table for two, right next to our "romantic" table for two. That baby screamed and screamed. What a fun way to spend a anniversary and a ton of money..

Thank you. I wish more parents were like you.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I like the concept. And as much as I love my kids, that is one discount that my family is never going to get.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

I think it's quite unfair....

What are your thoughts?

Life isn't fair. Stop expecting it to be.

YUP!

Let me guess, you're one of those people who passes out medals to kids on the losing team, right? :laugh:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

True but we're talking about children here.
    I think they should be told to respect the others, just because that's what you should do, and not because you will get money if you do.

Not sure about the "tip" argument, because I'm from France and we don't tip servers here ;) jk

No where in the article did it state that the parents had their children behave in order to get a discount. They were rewarded for their kids doing what they should... Behaving.... The article also states that the owner did NOT typically do this which further illustrates that the parents didn't have their kids behave in order to receive a discount.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I think it's an excellent idea. There is nothing worse than having my dinner ruined by obnoxious children. Whenever my husband and I go out to eat if the waitress is steering us in the direction of children we tell her that we don't want to sit there and please seat us somewhere away from them. There have been many times where we have also walked into a restaurant and walked right out because of the screaming.

When I go out to a restaurant to eat it's because I want to relax, have some drinks, a nice meal and just be with my husband. I want quiet. I want to sit in a booth and not have the kid behind me kick the back of it or stand up and lean over in my face while the parents coo about how "cute and adorable" it is that the child is bothering me.

If a restaurant feels they should reward a child for their good behavior then I say go for it.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What constitutes a "well-behaved kid" in the eyes of this restaurant?

The common sense answer? If your kid is screaming, running around the table, throwing things, making an excessive mess, and won't listen to you he/she is not well behaved. If you allow them to act that way at home that's bad enough but to subject other people to it because you're to lazy to parent is offensive. Also, before someone goes blathering on about how hard it is to be a parent guess what? You chose to be one! Don't apply for the job if you don't want it!

Fair enough, but there are other factors that might contribute--not just laziness. Kids aren't robots. Maybe the kid that is terrorizing your restaurant recently lost a grandparent, or is getting bullied or is suffering in some other way. Now I will grant you that there are ****ty, lazy parents out there. But I don't think that you can draw that conclusion about a parent from a single encounter with a child that isn't well-behaved on a particular day.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If your kid makes me look over at your table because of noise or for any other reason, you should be kicked out of said restaurant!
    As a parent......

...I absolutely agree. Every time my child acts up in public, either my husband or I will take him outside/to the bathroom to reprimand him and wait til he calms down. Other patrons shouldn't suffer because my child is throwing a tantrum.

That being said, if someone is annoyed by my child's laughter, they can kindly eff off.

I like the idea.

exactly. perhaps we should shift the focus from 'misbehaving kids' to 'insufficient parenting skills' and then perhaps there would not be so many people upset about 'fairness'.
    i'm willing to put up with some kerfuffle from the small kids at the table next to me as long as the parents are actively trying to use that time as a teaching opportunity. how else are kids going to learn proper behavior if they never get the opportunity to learn and practice?
    and like you said, anybody who is 'disturbed' by someone else's laughter needs to be asked respectfully to refrain from reproducing.

and let's face it, nowadays it's a wonderful thing for a family to sit down and eat together.

and of course any child (or adult for that matter) who has medical issues needs to be treated with compassion and understanding, not given dirty looks and rude comments. ever.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We were at a restraunt with our 7 children the other day and a lady who sat next to us stopped us on the way out. She said, "I hate sitting by children, but yours were great! They were the best behaved children I have ever seen!" I wasn't sure to be offended or complimented by that one. We laughed later about the odd wording but whatever. We once had a guy leave his table and ask us if we had any youtube videos on parental instruction because our children did so well. There are countless more stories, but I've bored you enough with those.
    Now, first of all, I know my children they are not perfect and we deal with it quickly and quietly. If it isn't going to be quick or quiet we go out to the van to deal with it. The majority of the time we don't need that step, but they all know it will be used if necessary.
    Second, I can't stand sitting next to obnoxious children (mine or others) so I am careful not to inflict that on others. You as the parent are responsible for making your child behave. If they don't behave at home, what makes you think taking them out in public will be any better where they have an audience. Practice what you expect and deal with them.
    Third, we have been to places where a restraunt or a patron has chosen to do something extra for us because they appreciated the well behaved children. We never expect it, but it is nice. It was their choice. It isn't discriminating when someone doesn't do that for everyone or for no one. Be thankful that someone got a blessing. Don't whine "where is mine?"
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I think it's the restaurant's money to lose if they want to give a discount, so what? They're not charging bad mannered children EXTRA, so their parents are not out anything.