confession: I am a serial baker

Options

Replies

• seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Same here! I also love baking and as I've gone through this weight loss process, I have also taken to bringing things to the office, giving treats to neighbors, etc. I love doing it but it's a shame to have all that food go to waste.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    LOVE baking!
    And if I'm going to do it right, I use "real" ingredients
    Love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla extract
    :love:
  • tegtmeyerd
    tegtmeyerd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love baking!! I bring food to work, but wish I had another outlet so I could bake more. I may start sending cookies to starving college students I know...

If i keep it in the house, hubby and I will definitely eat it!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I am also a serial baker. But I can't bake when I'm working on weight loss because I have no self control when baked goods are around. None whatsoever. I certainly don't take offense when someone brings sweets around.
    However, dealing with a sweets pusher really ticks me off. I went to a friend's house a few days ago who is also trying to diet. Her husband is a house husband at the moment and made breakfast for dinner. He deliberately tried to sabotage us. He asked over and over if we wanted french toast. I said no four times and then he started offering soda. Finally I just stopped answering him and started glaring at him silently until he walked away. It's not anyone's job to make sure baked goods or off limits foods are unavailable to a dieter.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm. A baker too.... but my specialilty ( my husbands favorite ) is oreo balls... there is a batch in my freezer now, I haven't even eaten one. Oreos cream cheese, dipped in chocolate....... great now my mouth is watering...
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I love how many bakers there are here! Haha maybe we should start a group ;) after all, there is no need to feel ashamed of an activity that can be incredibly beneficial, anyone who doesn't think baking is a workout has never felt the muscle pain in the forearms that comes from 5 hours of piping buttercream icing on a 3 layer wedding cake! We could call it baker's anonymous. "hi, I'm Mira, and I have managed to lose weight even though I always check at least twice to make sure my icing is not poison!":laugh:
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love to bake! About once a month I'll bake cookies, or squares or brownies or someting and take it to my classmates. If people are watching what they eat and don't want one, it's no offense to me. But so far I've had no complaints!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH! I too find that I don't really crave sweets by baking them. I actually lose weight (even when not monitoring calories) during "cookie season." I thought I was alone. Thanks for sharing!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am a rabid baker too.

...and I still lost my weight despite my baking addiction... and to honest I found it great because I put my favourite recipes in the recipe builder and worked out what portion sizes are going to work for me. Hmmm...I might make black cherry cheesecake for dessert tonight after I have made a fresh batch of vanilla bean and oreo icecream.
  • dangerousdumpling
    Options
    I love how many bakers there are here! Haha maybe we should start a group ;) after all, there is no need to feel ashamed of an activity that can be incredibly beneficial, anyone who doesn't think baking is a workout has never felt the muscle pain in the forearms that comes from 5 hours of piping buttercream icing on a 3 layer wedding cake! We could call it baker's anonymous. "hi, I'm Mira, and I have managed to lose weight even though I always check at least twice to make sure my icing is not poison!":laugh:

Two weeks ago my arm almost fell off when I was whisking eggs into brownie batter. I managed to only eat one small brownie. Hey, I did have self control that time! Yay me!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm THAT person, too.

I generally only allow myself serious treats/cheats on the weekends, then I get back to business on Mondays and restrict what I eat on weekdays. If I'm craving something all week, I wait until the weekend to have it. Like you, I'm not fond of store-bought baked goods and I enjoy baking for my family, so I frequently bake on the weekends, have one or two servings and then bring the rest to work on Monday. I don't force anyone to eat my offerings, but they seem to disappear out of the break room fairly quickly. If someone doesn't want to eat it, they certainly don't have to eat it.
  • jedibunny
    Options
    I just found this post, and I have to say I'm in love with it. I'm a baker too, which can drive my poor boyfriend nuts (we live together, and he LOVES baked goods, but is also trying to lose weight). I'm also the person who, even if I don't bake, will periodically bring baked goods to work. I do it because I like giving and I like seeing people enjoy themselves. I also do it because we all need a treat sometimes.

To be completely honest, I don't eat much of what I bake. I'd rather have chips and dip than cookies most days - or a good dark chocolate with sea salt.... /drool. lol point being, I enjoy salty snacks more than sweet. Too much sweet and my head wants to explode. That doesn't mean I don't love that rare piece of cheesecake or gourmet cupcake, and doesn't mean I don't want to bake. I get a real sense of satisfaction from making something from scratch, and again, from seeing others enjoy it. I just made chocolate chip cookies at lunch--I work from home now, which is probably saving my former coworkers from having to fight the temptation of fresh baked goods--and I sincerely don't think I'll eat more than one. Which leaves my boyfriend in a difficult place... he's got the better part of a dozen to deal with.

I blame my mother for this. :P
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    LOVE baking!
    And if I'm going to do it right, I use "real" ingredients
    Love the smell of cinnamon and vanilla extract
    :love:
    [/quote
    Me too!
  • jedibunny
    Options

Two weeks ago my arm almost fell off when I was whisking eggs into brownie batter. I managed to only eat one small brownie. Hey, I did have self control that time! Yay me!

LOL - I know both of those feelings! :laugh:
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You all are the devil! lol just joking. I would be in the same boat, what do you do with all that leftover.

Temptations are every where and I think it's best to be aware and everything in moderation. : )

Thank fully I'm a salsa girl.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I had to stop baking because I will end up eating too much of it. I swear I can hear my Kitchen Aid stand mixer crying at night!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: LOL!

When I first read the title of your thread, I thought it said "serial BANKER".

I'm thinking "she obsessively balances her checkbook?"

I love baking and baked goods too.

Just not every day for every meal :wink:
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    I've been told that if I don't stop baking, I'm out of the house......
  • dangerousdumpling
    Options
    I had to stop baking because I will end up eating too much of it. I swear I can hear my Kitchen Aid stand mixer crying at night!

I was cleaning my kitchen the other day, wiping counters and such, and caught sight of my KitchenAid. There was this moment where I felt like I didn't want to ...how do i say this...make eye contact with it. It was like running into someone at the mall that you dated a year ago. I know it feels abandoned and bitter but I have to move on.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey, the first step is admitting you have a problem, right?

I'm totally in the same boat. Except most of the time when I decide to bake cookies, it's just because I want to eat cookie dough. I lose interest while it chills (and after I have a few huge spoons of it) and then end up taking all the cookies to work. I must say though, I have been known to eat solely cookies for the day if I feel terrible. I usually fit it into my calories, but my other macros... well, they're just embarrassing.