Weight Loss Pet Peeves?

Options

Replies

• zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,900 Member
    Options
    I think I am my worst critic. My work place is always telling me I am skinny and can eat anything. Right! I am over weight and they are all blind. 151 and 5'4" is not "skinny".
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Buying awesome shirt that is still too small for you. Misplacing said awesome shirt for oh, 3-4 months and then finding it again, only for it to be too big now. :grumble:
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i love that i have a gym partner. but she eats so unhealthy! she will workout with me and then admit that for just her dinner alone she had a 24 ounce regular pepsi, giant sub from jersey mikes, and a shamrock shake from mc donalds. and that didnt include the rest of the day! i understand having treats once in a while. but she has not lost weight in over a month and a half because she eats like this everyday. she is ready to give up but wont listen to what im telling her as far as changing her eating habits. she is exercising only to maintain really. but im the "fat chick" and what do i know.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ditto the diet snobbery. Losing all my weight on low carb somehow offends a LOT of people. Fu(k em.

Also, being cold ALL the time!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My own fear of failure (AKA the self-sabotage gremlin).

BAD! GET AWAY! SHOO! I got this! It's happening!
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When people just generally feel as they know what's better for me then, oh, let's say, MYSELF, in terms of weight loss, when I've already successfully lost over 100lbs and kept it off for several years.

The reality is, and I think this goes for more than just myself, but perhaps not, just because I know what I should be doing, doesn't mean I've always done it. I plateaued, got off track for a while, and have stayed at the same weight (but kept off the previous 100lbs) for a bit, but, oh well.

I'm back on track now, and it's not because some random, usually not exactly healthy/in shape person, came up and left me a jewel of information regarding how to continue losing weight, it's because I got back to a place where I was ready to do it again, all on my own.

...that's my pet peeve.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Women thinking they'll get "bulky" from lifting more than three-lb pink weights. It's 2013. It's been known for quite some time that unless a women is specifically training and eating to be a competitive bodybuilder, she won't look like Thor. How are ideas like this *still* being brought up?!
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For instance, I do not like when people tell me what diet/life style I should be doing. Like I am a low carb chic; so one might say you shouldn’t do low carb that doesn’t work because…… Why? Because it didn’t work for you, well it is working for me. We have to do what works for us or tweak it until it works. So if you are counting carbs or calories do what works for you. Another, don’t lose to much weight you’re going to look sick or you’re obsessed with it now, you better slow down before you hurt yourself. Funny no one had anything to say when I was lying around overdosing on sugar and fat digging my grave with a fork. What are some of your Weight Loss Woes?

Or when you are at that awkward size that your clothes are too big, but it would be stupid to go shopping because in another 10lbs your size will change again.

I completely agree with the whole 'you're losing too much weight' thing, especially since I am still seen as 'at risk {female young adult }. No one paid attention to me as I was developing Binge Eating Disorder, so I don't see why now, when I am trying to get back on track and set myself right I should come up against a brick wall of people telling me that I shouldn't loose weight and it's not as if I've stopped eating either -_-.
    My other woe is my parents thinking that this is 'just a diet' and not a lifestyle change. The possibility of me becoming vegetarian, when I brought up the idea the other day was one of disbelief, I wish that they would understand that I'm trying to be healthy not thin.
  • Lormic98
    Options
    I agree with most of what others have posted, and some may be repetitive, but here are mine:

When thinner people tell you "not to get too thin", yeah, right, as it! (someone else said this one too)

When someone notices you've lost weight, and they how they say it sounds like an accusation.

Or, like someone else said, they try to tell you what you should be doing to lose weight, like what you're doing isn't right. Well, it's been working for me, so back off!

What I want from my friends is simple encouragement and maybe a "way to go!" or "you're doing great!" Not one of them has given me this. That's why I read the message boards on this site.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    1. People who think you need to starve yourself to lose weight
    2. People who think you can't have a cheeseburger or pizza and still lose weight
    3. People who think any food should be demonized (aka don't eat carbs or you won't lose weight)
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Health-conscious people making a big deal in front of others about eating something unhealthy. "Oh, I shouldn't be eating this!" "It's so bad for me!" Even my yoga teacher did this yesterday- announced that she wanted to get a strudel at a donut shop, prompting a "Oh, you aren't really! You bad girl!" discussion between her and another class member.

If you really shouldn't, don't eat if. If you really want it, eat it! It doesn't make you a rebel or a saint.

Well put!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    my pet peeve is how fast you regain but how slowly you lose.

Me too, although this kind of keeps me on track because I know how fast I can undo all my hard work!

I'm also annoyed by vanity sized clothing. I took a tape measure to the mens jeans I bought last month and it turns out even those are vanity sized. I have not a clue what my real clothing size actually is.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My butt disappeared and I am always cold
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people use the term 'skinny fat' and insinuate I'm going to be a hideous beast if I don't lift weights. *shrug*
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is when people make constant excuses. It can be done. No matter what.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    When people make my weight-loss their business and tell me I don't need to lose any more weight. I didn't make my weight-loss your business so why are you?!
  • chamorita79
    chamorita79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is when people try and sabotage my weight loss either unintentionally or intentionally by saying "its okay if you have that __________(fill in the blank)" or having a little wont kill you. I know myself. If I choose not to eat something it is because I know I dont have the ability to stop myself from eating more than I should so dont push the issue if I say no!! No means no!!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    When people make my weight-loss their business and tell me I don't need to lose any more weight. I didn't make my weight-loss your business so why are you?!
    Yes that, and the people who tell you you don't need to diet because you're slim. Hello?! You get slim by dieting and watching what you eat, surely?
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    -When people start a sentence with "Dr. Oz said to take (insert pill, powder or secret formula here) to lose weight." :explode:
    -When people ask me how I lost weight and I tell them I tracked my food and exercised and still enjoyed my favorite foods and they look so disappointed that there was no magic pill or secret.
    - Being between sizes!!! I have 2 pairs of jeans, one is constantly falling down and the other one is tight enough that its uncomfortable.
    -People who think that their was is the ONLY way and if you do not do it their way you are wrong, and going along with that the self righteous attention *kitten* who are like "Look at me, I'm (vegan, low-carb, paleo, whatever)!" I'll respect your way if you respect mine.

I know there are more but those are all I could think of right now
  • 3ddierocksteady
    Options
    Find what works best for you. There are different methods to dieting and people need to choose what is sustainable for them.