tips for not regaining weight loss long term

Options
13»

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think mostly it boils down to one main reason: impatience. Everyone's in such a damn rush to lose the weight they cut out foods they love and work themselves to death in the gym and this causes burn-out and exhaustion and they're not losing weight because their body is stressed and undernourished and fatigued so they just give up. Or even if they try to keep it simple by tracking their food but don't want to take the time to think about what their eating or plan their meals and they go over so much that they just give up.

Two sub factors of this are
    1) no one takes the time to think about why they want to lose the weight - and I don't mean "for my wedding" or "to get skinny" but a REAL reason like "to lower my cholesterol" or "to defy my family history of heart disease and diabetes" or "to be around for my husband and kids" etc
    2) no one things about making long term changes - even if they quote that "it's a lifestyle change, not a diet", most people don't really know what that means. When you give up carbs, can you really do that forever? Maybe but it's going to be tough and you have to be mentally prepared for every hurdle. That may sound dramatic and extreme but trust me, I've been there.

Anyway, that's my take on it.
  • Joely_mole
    Options
    To avoid falling back to old habits and what i have found to work for me are:

Be true to yourself - No point lying about things, this could be food you have eaten, weight you have lost. At the end of the day it's only you you're lying to.

Cheat days - These certainly work for me. I have one every/couple weeks and eat what ever i fancy but without going overboard. If i haven't had a cheat day for a long period then i eat anything and still feel good.

Eat as healthy and clean throughout the week - If you do this, it makes you feel much better about yourself on days you eat what you want because you've worked so hard throughout the week.

Weight loss takes time - You always get these people who want to shred as much weight as possible in the little as possible time with these diet plans. Make your own and slowly cut the calories, it will work much better than someone else, remember it's a marathon not a race.

Also to wrap this up, by eating healthy foods or less calorie dense foods you can afford to eat much more.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    In my 20's I was skinny ....... gained weight in my 30's & 40's ......yo-yo dieted in my early 50's .......

Finally figured out that I must stay focused each & every day ....... make healthy choices at each meal ...... that portion control works wonders ...... and that "treats" are to be eaten thoughtfully.

I'm 61 now ...... down 45 pounds ...... am here to lose a little more, by eating well & going to the gym .....

And never surrendering to old habits :drinker:
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Over a year ago I went from 256 to around 190ish. Then I quit smoking this summer and gained it all back except 3 pounds. Now that I'm a non-smoker for the most part (1-2 smokes a month) I've re-dedicated myself to the weight loss and have lost about 9 pounds so far. I'm mad at myself because I know I used it as an excuse and I have a tendency to binge eat to begin with and this was like opening the flood gates. I'm also mad cause I let my exercise go and I've got so much lost ground to make up for. But the important part is that I'm back at it and the scale is moving in the right direction with counting cals and exercise.
  • Cupcake1015
    Cupcake1015 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    this is great! thanks to all for the information!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!