Any Nurses Out There?

Options
I am looking for some buddies to share accountability and motivation! I am Tiffany, 31y, and a night shift ICU nurse. My biggest challenge is eating right at work, and making time for regular exercise. Its so hard at work to be able to eat healthy. There are always temptations, and when you are on your feet rushing around all night, its so easy to just grab what is around because you dont have time to sit down to eat a proper meal! Im trying to be better, I started logging all of my intake and exercise... but I long for the days I used to work 9-5 and would just go to the gym on my way home every day!

Replies

• lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nurse, but I'm an ICU doc. Does that count?
  • itsmelynn15
    Options
    Does 3 months away from getting my RN degree count?...lol I graduate May 18th!!! That is one of the reasons I am here. I can't be a fat nurse and tell people to eat healthy know what I mean? I am on here everyday so add me if you'd like.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am a surgical (trauma) ICU nurse, work 12 hrs days. Add me if you like!
  • bridgetzc
    bridgetzc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am Pediatric RN and I am 27. Add me if you want. I am looking for friends for motivation.
  • missourinurse
    missourinurse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am a night shift nurse. Med/Surg, Skilled, ICU, L & D, Home Health and now Geriatrics.......
  • sanalupe
    sanalupe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am working nights too. The problem is this is mainly an office job and not walking a lot. Since I do night shifts, 18 months ago, I put on over 2 stones and my health gone downhill, I had major digestive problems. You can add me if you want, I can give you tips on how to adjust to night shift eating healthy so you stay away from unhealthy foods.
    Before I started this job, I was a carer, so I was on my feet all night, did not have breaks or eat properly. I somehow managed to work out with my colleagues how to get the breaks and 20 min rest break every 6 hours.
    You are not alone in this :)
  • mookiecrone
    mookiecrone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am an ER nurse and in the same boat. It's always busy and don't get the time to take breaks or a lunch break. It's so easy to pick up whatever is just laying around. I have just gotten in a habit of bringing healthy things to nibble on throughout the day. Not ideal but it has helped.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Er Night shift nurse. Always pack your lunch. I pack alot of small healthy items. On those busy days...i can pop grapes, carrots or even a granola bar. Special K makes some great ones. I have been guilty of eating on the run. But it helps to plan ahead to avoid the snack machine. The only weakness I have is when someone makes a dunkin donut run. :(

Add me if you want. Always looking for positive people
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm an RN on NOC's. I log regularly and have been on a workout kick. I work PRN as an ED RN and work 0.9 FTE in an office position. This office job has really taken a toll on my calories burnt. Feel free to add me if you would like!
  • alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm a 30 year old RN from Canada. add me too!
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nurse, but my husband is, and I keep the same night schedule that he does, so maybe that applies? Feel free to friend me, and I'll send him over here too!
  • sgsill
    sgsill Posts: 9
    Options
    I've been a night nurse for about 4 years now. But, have worked the night shift for almost 8 years. feel free to add me.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    15 years of med surg, pccu, and icu, not ib gereatrics and love it Add me if you like
  • Woolified
    Woolified Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do rotating 12 hr shifts 7p-7a and 7a-7p in the ICU/SICU. I am a nurse, feel free to add me if you'd like.... seems we face many of the same challenges!
  • mamabear0109
    mamabear0109 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    RN, 12-hour nights cardiac ICU and cardiac cath lab receiving/recovery. Have worked nights for over 25 years. Tracking things on MyFitnessPal seems to help. I'm down 9 pounds since April 1st. (yay me!)
  • dedicated2014
    dedicated2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student as well. Does that count? :)
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    LPN who works 7days a week, days M-Th nights Th-Mon. Day job is allergy/asthma nurse, nights is homecare. Feel free to add me!
  • FussBucket
    FussBucket Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm not a nurse, but I'm an ICU doc. Does that count?

That counts. :)
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm a Labor and Delivery Nurse. I'm technically we-op, but I pick up extra days. I work 12 hour shifts, and I find it very difficult to control my eating at night!!! If I haven't slept all day and I'm staying up all night... all I want is sugar and carbs.
  • Bonella
    Bonella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shift NICU nurse and been working nights for a lot of years. I recently joined our new Planet Fitness and have been working out at least 4 times a week. I pack my food to take to work with me and avoid the cafeteria at night. I also drink water at work and have cut done from 4 sodas a shift to one at the most, but most nights I don't drink any. I'm a little older than most of you on here, so weight comes off a bit slower these days, but it is coming off.