why do you use a scale to weigh food?

Options

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You use a scale? DAMN, I knew I could trust the store.
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also, when you start weighing things, you'll find that the portion sizes listed on labels are sometimes wrong.

For instance, I have a protein powder that lists 1 level scoop as 22 grams. 1 scoop actually weighs closer to 28 grams. The scoop came with the container! It's about a 30 calorie difference, which is fairly significant to me.

It's the measuring device that is wrong, not the label. If one serving equals 22g, you should be measuring out 22g, not assuming that one serving actually equals 28g.
    Of course. My point is that the scoop included with the container measures a larger portion than advertised. I know that 22 grams is the correct serving. And that's why I weigh it, rather than relying on the scoop! Because the scoop is wrong, evne though "1 scoop" is supposed to be a serving, according to the label.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Is there something wrong with old people using scales? It's just a more accurate way to measure things. My grandma used a scale for baking and cooking. You go ahead and guesstimate. I :heart: my scale.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have a blind spot. I am incapable of estimating well. I don't weigh every single time, and I don't use a digital scale, but without some standard to go by, I am way off. Would you be comfortable buying gas from a place where a guy estimates how many gallons went into your car?
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Because I'm diabetic...and it helps control my carb intake as well as caloric intake.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh my cereal but was getting a little slack and just eyeballing it to where I thought it filled the bowl to. I haven't weighed it for some weeks. This morning I pour out the amount and out of curiosity I thought I would weigh it to see how my eyeballing was going...............not good at all. What was suppose to be 45 grams was actually 78 grams. This makes quite a difference to calorie intake over a week or so. Back to weighing for me.
  • rn000
    rn000 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So you get an accurate reading of your calories, which is important to know so you are not over/under eating.
  • DannyG7685
    Options
    I don't use a scale to weigh myself, I don't care about how much I weigh, I go by body fat %. I could be 185 lbs at 5'5" but if I'm at single digit body fat % (My goal, still got 5% to go) I'm happy. The scale on my food is VERY important to get an accurate reading so that I can maintain body fat %
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I use a scale, measuring cups and spoons depending on the food. Just today I used the scale to weigh an avocado. They are all different sizes and I want an accurate number for my food log. Cheese is another good example of a food I always weigh.
  • supergirljen
    Options
    I have noticed with certain things (crackers/chips/etc) that sometimes it will say 1 serving is "15 chips or 28g", then when I weigh it out, 28 grams is actually only 9 or 10 chips...that ends up being 1 1/2 servings when I only counted it as 1! I just like to be as accurate as possible.

So THAT is why I get so many fewer servings out of a bag of chips!! (I just thought my husband was sneaking them!) Well I guess I will be measuring the chips now.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I like being accurate on my portions. My family can tell you that I'm REALLY good at eyeballing portion sizes but _I_ like knowing they are correct. Also if a portion size is X grams and you can put the portion in X grams if you weigh a fruit it gives you a much more accurate calorie count. I've had Japanese persimmons that were 144 grams and persimmons that were twice that size but I would have had NO clue how many grams they were if I hadn't weighed them.
  • shiplizard
    shiplizard Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Scales are pretty grand for anything that signigicantly changes volume when cooking, or after cooling. And trying to standardize a volumetric cup of, say, sliced mushrooms? Sort of a trial. I don't always have one to use, but I like to pop things on the salad scale at my cafeteria to double-check portion sizes against the nutritional info I'm using. Especially helpful with baked goods... be honest, you're not going to be able to eyeball 2.5oz of a big Sbux-sized brownie.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I weight everything! And it doesn't matter to me if I count for the rest of my life if it allows me to stay in shape.
  • stubbynose
    Options
    I love my food scales …. I need it for accuracy …. it is all about portion size if you want to loose weight. I weigh things such as potatoes, meats, nuts. (anything that is in grams or ounces) it is easy when you get used to doing it….it becomes second nature eventually.
    I go by the product it self..if it says 1 Tablespoon/teaspoon... I use my measuring spoons…. if it says 50 grams or 2 ounces I use the scales. If it says 1/4 cup then I use my measuring cups!!
    Not hard to do….
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Pretty much what others have said. It's a matter of being able to accurately measure how much food you're eating. And hey, isn't that the goal for most of us here?

Besides that, as Alton Brown would say, it's not a "uni-task-er". If you're into baking at all, it's definitely best to measure by weight and not volume. You need a scale for that :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a bowl full of cereal believing that was a "serving" then I got some scales and weighed the proper 30g serving and found it was 1/3 of what I was eating, I was shocked.

This made take a very close look at what I considered a "portion" and I was wildly innacurate in estimating how much I was eating and that is how I got fat.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    this is why i asked the question. to educate myself. im not trying to put anyone down for doing it. just curious. some people did bring up good points. some of the foods you are using it for make total sense. i guess ive been scared of peanut butter due to the high calories. and things like pasta and rices make sense. i usually prepare half the box and add the ingredients into the recipes and just divide it based on the servings. i have found little ways to cheat. i guess i dont pay much attention to how accurate meat is and veggies. i dont want to get totally calorie obsessed over raw veggies and such. i see it as a victory me even eating those. i may listen to most of you and get one to experiment. does not hurt.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Because I love accuracy. And because it keeps me honest. I've been at this for a long time and generally know about what an once of shredded cheese looks like (for example), but the extra 3 seconds it takes for me to measure it on my scale makes me feel confident that I'm accurately tracking my intake. I don't eat at a huge deficit, so little inaccuracies can make a significant difference for me.

Also, I'm currently deeply addicted to almond butter. That stuff is waaaay too calorie dense to be overestimating what a tablespoon looks like on a regular basis so I'd rather just measure it out in grams to be safe.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The food scale seems very important for me when it comes to high calorie foods. Meats, nuts, cheese are a few of the things that accuracy seems important. I imagine that after weighing things for years then you would probably be able to eyeball things with much better accuracy. It has been said that many people underestimate their calorie intake by 20% and I don't want to be one of those people.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    this is why i asked the question. to educate myself. im not trying to put anyone down for doing it. just curious. some people did bring up good points. some of the foods you are using it for make total sense. i guess ive been scared of peanut butter due to the high calories. and things like pasta and rices make sense. i usually prepare half the box and add the ingredients into the recipes and just divide it based on the servings. i have found little ways to cheat. i guess i dont pay much attention to how accurate meat is and veggies. i dont want to get totally calorie obsessed over raw veggies and such. i see it as a victory me even eating those. i may listen to most of you and get one to experiment. does not hurt.

I don't generally weigh veggies. I just eyeball those because I figure they aren't calorie dense enough to worry about. I agree with you- better to be eating too many veggies than too few!