Books: Are you reading anything?

Options

Replies

• Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The Death Cure, third in The Maze Runner series from James Dashner. although now there is a prequel too so is it still a trilogy? :wink:

Ahhh! I loved those!!

I tend to love dystopic/post apocalyptic stuff. My friends husband is a reading teacher so he often recommends books to me. another fave book is Enclave, although I am waiting to read the second until the third comes out. And the Divergent series as well.

Oooh, I'll be looking those up when I get home! I tend to go for those types of storylines as well. I think I'm addicted to that survivalist mentality.

Enclave, Outpost by Anne Aguirre and the Divergent series are very good. I just finished Partials, it was GOOD, but not awesome. One book that I really liked was Hallowmen, it has the same theme as Enclave, plus it is a free ebook. Anybody heard or read Wool?
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I just finished The Twelve Tribes of Hattie and really liked it. It's dark but good read. I just started The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. It's from the viewpoint of an autistic kid.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I just finished 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn. It was riveting and frightening and dysfunctional. Loved it!

Before that, I read 'A Discovery of Witches' and 'Shadow of Night' by Deborah Harkness. Those books were fun and easy. If you like a blend of supernatural and real history, they're good reads. I can't wait 'til the third one comes out.

I also just read 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton. It was engrossing and kept me guessing as it moved back and forth from character to character through time.

The 'Cousins War' series by Philippa Gregory was enjoyable too - basically an account of the War of the Roses from a female point of view.

The Discovery of Witches novel was wonderful but the second one lacked the chemistry between the main characters I think.

Yes... I can understand that criticism. I didn't really notice/miss it because the second book focused on so many fascinating historical figures and places. The way I see it, the first book built the main characters and the second book progressed the story. Hopefully, the third can merge both of those aspects.
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of two books right now: "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan, and "The Lord of the Rings" by Tolkien. LOTR is actually a re-read, and I've been thinking about doing it for a while. "The Wheel of Time" I just picked up, and currently loving that one as well. I'm a fantasy nerd these days :-P. On my shelf waiting? "Who I Am" by Pete Townshend, among others. Music history or fantasy, both are winners ;-)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Clash of the Kings, second in the Game of Thrones series
  • osmom3kids
    Options
    The Mortal Instrument series
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The first Game of Thrones book and The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald.

The Song of Ice and Fire series was the best I've ever read, and I'm not a big fantasy fan. I'm currently reading the Agent Pendergast series by Preston/Child. It's a few years old, but The Kite Runner (non fiction) was really good.
  • leska1216
    Options
    Mad River by John Sanford
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Red Bones by Ann Cleeves. I like British police mysteries. I have just recently discovered Ann Cleeves. She is prolific...I have read 8 of her books in the past month and still have a list of titles to get to.
  • mmickeep
    mmickeep Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn., I just finished Gone Girl. I read The book thief before that.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I am re-reading the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton. I own all but her last 2 books, and plan on getting them.

I'm also in the middle of the 4th Song of Ice and Fire book, but I just....can't. I'm not sure what it is about this book but I can't get into it.

The series I read last was the Dresden series by Jim Butcher. I'm going to be getting a couple of books I'm missing from his series as well. Changes left me hanging and I must know what happens!
  • rikwaynik
    rikwaynik Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Not Young, Still Restless (Jeanne Cooper's autobiography)
    Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
    50 Shades of Grey
  • Amlynnskie
    Amlynnskie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just finished "On the Island," by Tracey Garvis Graves. It was awesome, highly recommend!
  • Hinxx
    Hinxx Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Every Day is an Atheist Holiday - Penn Jillette :smile:
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading the new Sherlock Holmes novel The House of Silk by Anthony Horrowitz, and also The Devils Star by Jo Nesbo.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm reading right now `The Long Result` by John Brunner.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I imagine you don't mean textbooks, so I'm reading How to Travel the World on $50 a Day by Matt Kepnes
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Ok so I read ALOT .....

In the last week I read books 1-11 of the Dresden files.... Started a reread on Dead witch walking and the Magician lol
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start reading the beautiful creatures series before three movie comes out.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn., I just finished Gone Girl. I read The book thief before

I loved The Book Thief