cant eat enough

Options
so I logged my food and it is saying that I am not eating enough calories. what am I going to do? I am not always hungry. I know they say to eat more to loose weight. Dang I am not going to loose weight then. does anyone have any ideas how to eat enough calories at a healthy pace?

Replies

• fitqueen2
    Options
    I got the same message and I only had 20 calories that I didn't eat. I don't think I'm eating enough calories because I'm losing weight to fast.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Since your diary is locked, it's hard to give exact advice. However, the general suggestion is to add more calorie-dense foods to your day. Use the full-fat varieties of products instead of reduced fats. Snack on a handful of nuts. Add some peanut butter, avocado, or olive oil to your day. Things like that will give you more calories with less bulk.
  • GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents:
    Don't make yourself eat if your body isn't hungry, but possibly try and eat more calorie dense foods, like nuts and nut butters, beans, seeds, lean meat, and dairy. You don't have to eat junk to add enough calories, but I also understand that sometimes it's hard to eat above 1200 calories when most of what you're eating is fruit and veggies, or if you're just used to eating a lot less. Some people will preach all day about not going under 1200 calories a day because your body will go into "startvation mode" even if you eat less than the number of calories your body would use to function in a state of total rest (BMR/Basil Metabolic Rate). I am eating under my BMR every day for my current weight, but I have a lot to lose (More than 100 lbs). I keep my calorie goal set at 1650, but the past couple weeks I often eat around 1400-1500 and net less than that with exercise.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Peanut butter + spoon
  • ladydockins
    ladydockins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of toast with hummus and sliced tomatoes or popcorn popped in canola oil. It fills me up and adds some extra calories.
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yogurt coated dried banana 500 cals in and handful and delicious
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat!! If you have the calories left eat a cookie, have some chocolate, a piece of cake...whatever. You do not have to live a life of deprevation to lose fat.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The other day I had net calories -300 and I didn't get any notice I was eating too few calories. I ate enough, but then I burned them off. Is that why?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    so I logged my food and it is saying that I am not eating enough calories. what am I going to do? I am not always hungry. I know they say to eat more to loose weight. Dang I am not going to loose weight then. does anyone have any ideas how to eat enough calories at a healthy pace?

I looked at your profile you are 29yo?

So you are a grown up...and you are able to make choices for yourself as to what to eat??

I don`t want to sound mean but you (like most of us) got where we were by over eating and making(wrong) choices so take this as a learning curve to educate yourself/

Your diary is not public so no body knows what you ate or did not eat?
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat!! If you have the calories left eat a cookie, have some chocolate, a piece of cake...whatever. You do not have to live a life of deprevation to lose fat.
    Agreed, we didn't gain weight by not eating. We all know how to eat, I think we just become afraid that if we do we will keep gaining or not lose. Eat throughout the day, every couple of hours and you shouldn't find it all that difficult to fill the calories. I do recommend trying to hit your macros each day as this helps you to get the nutrition your body needs, but don't be afraid to have a snack. This should be a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • SheriKCourtney
    Options
    bump
  • SheriKCourtney
    Options
    My thoughts exactly!! Gotta love PB!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You don't have to necessarily eat "more", but you can eat smarter. there are foods that are high in calories that are still good for you. Foods like peanut butter, olive oil, eggs, butter (not the substitutes), avocado oil, protein powders, granola bars (like Nature Valley), protein bars, oatmeal, potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, breads, pastas, rice, cheese, milk, meats, no low calorie condiments/snacks, etc. Maybe include some ice cream :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

^This. I've got a Twix PB that I'm planning on consuming today. Mmmmmm :D
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

I looked at your profile you are 29yo?

So you are a grown up...and you are able to make choices for yourself as to what to eat??

I don`t want to sound mean but you (like most of us) got where we were by over eating and making(wrong) choices so take this as a learning curve to educate yourself/

Your diary is not public so no body knows what you ate or did not eat?

Asking questions IS how people learn. I don't think the OP is asking for anything insane. For a lot of people losing weight becomes this huge time of reassessing what you've been eating and how you've been eating. Not knowing what to eat doesn't make someone less of a grown up.

I mean hell, I'm a grown up too and much of my adult life has involved eating in really bad ways. So I don't know if the grown-up choices I made for myself were always the best.

While it would help if OP's diary was open for more constructive advice, OP IS trying to educate herself by being a part of this community and asking this question. There's no reason to be snarky about it. A lot of people don't just know how to eat right.

OP - Eat cheese, nuts, have some chocolate :)
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat healthy and get as many calories as I need for the day.
    So if I come across a day where I don't hit at least 1,200, I'll cheat and eat a sweet. That's all you really need to hit to keep that message away, it'll get easier soon :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    So if I come across a day where I don't hit at least 1,200, I'll cheat and eat a sweet. That's all you really need to hit to keep that message away, it'll get easier soon :)

How is the following not healthy?
    peanut butter, olive oil, eggs, butter (not the substitutes), avocado oil, protein powders, granola bars (like Nature Valley), protein bars, oatmeal, potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, breads, pastas, rice, cheese, milk, meats, no low calorie condiments/snacks, oatmeal, etc. Maybe include some ice cream :)

I'm just wondering because I eat 1600-1800 cals/a day and I don't have any trouble meeting that #. As I said in my post..it's about eating smarter. You can more than meet your calorie goals with "healthy" food and not feel gorged.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's true, the more calories you eat, the more you lose. It sounds like an oxymoron, but it's true. I started out at 1200 and everyone was saying I needed to up mine. Let me send you a link to another post on here that explains what to do to find out what your body needs to lose. I swear it's helped me so far and I've only been doing this *plan* for about a week or so.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

As for not eating enough, DO IT ANYWAY. I still have to drink a protein shake to help fill my calories up.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you. lol. I don't eat all of my calories. I'm eating 2007 cals a day based on my TDEE and I'm losing so far. I'm having a problem eating so many calories right now, but don't be afraid to eat. You may come short, but don't worry about it, just get your protein and fiber in is what I think is most important. Sodium is a killer for swelling, so if you're going way over your sodium levels, you're gonna look bloated, and trust me, I HAVE THAT PROBLEM. lol. But drinks lots of water and it'll come down. You CAN eat healthy and still fill your calories and if you find yourself coming up short at the end of the day and are even the slightest bit hungry, eat something small. Like jello or something. I eat sugar free jello.

How is the following not healthy?
    peanut butter, olive oil, eggs, butter (not the substitutes), avocado oil, protein powders, granola bars (like Nature Valley), protein bars, oatmeal, potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, breads, pastas, rice, cheese, milk, meats, no low calorie condiments/snacks, oatmeal, etc. Maybe include some ice cream :)

I'm just wondering because I eat 1600-1800 cals/a day and I don't have any trouble meeting that #. As I said in my post..it's about eating smarter. You can more than meet your calorie goals with "healthy" food and not feel gorged.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I hear this all the time, and I think it's a bunch of baloney. You got fat by eating way more than 1200. It's real frickin easy. A slice of pizza, a cup of fro yo, a peanut butter sandwich, etc. think back to the days that you used to eat 3000 calories a day and eat some of that. I think people are afraid of gaining so they convince themselves that they can't eat enough. It's symptomatic of an eating disorder. Get over it and have a granola bar for christs sake.