HELP!eat clean & healthy but hates veggies/fruit/seafood!?

Options

Replies

• Nessa0506
    Options
    Alright, this message goes out to everyone.. I pretty much hate a lot of veggies... the only ones i eat are usually no no's like corn and potatoes... i do like broccoli but its gotta be cooked.. and it cant be plain. i like iceburg lettuce but i hate other lettuces.. the darker they are the worse it is for me to chew. I like onions, green, white, yellow and red i could eat them cooked or even raw- love raw. I love tomatoes. Love sweet potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, olives...

Fruits i like- apples with no peel, strawberries, sometimes i like grapes, lemons, the occasional orange/tangerine, avocados, peaches, pineapples..

and absolutely NO seafood.. ive tried so much and i hate it all.

so thats it ladies and gentlemen... How the hell do i eat better when i hate so much stuff and like so little??

I pretty much cant think out of the box lately and plan a menu... suggestions are sooooo welcome!!!

Just start to learn to like vegetables and stop being picky.

^^^THIS
  • Nessa0506
    Options
    ... Juicing is a good way to start
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Not to be harsh, but you're a grown woman, so suck it up and just eat vegetables and fruit. You're not going to be healthy without eating a plethora of fresh produce, and taking a supplement isn't a substitute for real food. You listed a bunch that you DO like, so start with those and work up from there. The whole "But I'm a picky eater! Ew vegetables!" isn't really acceptable past age 10.

Funny, but "suck it up" is something I hear on the playground a lot. *eyeroll*

My mother-in-law is 86, never eats fruit, and the only veggie she eats is an occasional potato becuase she hates any others, period. She weighs 100 lbs and stands 4'11" of pure adreneline, wears glasses only for reading, and walks 1.5 miles every day. She has never, ever been in the hospital and visits her doctor for yearly physicals. Doc says Mum's BP is normal and she shows no signs of diabetes. Oh, and she drinks an ounce of her brandy every night along with her piece of chocolate. Suck THAT up.

Good for her? I wasn't aware that your MOL was the benchmark for all other human beings.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Fill your diet with as many veggies and fruits as you can (of the ones you like of course) and make sure you're getting a variety. Also, keep trying new things! There are so many different veggies out there that you're bound to come across something you've never tried before and keep experiementing with different ways to prep them. Usually you'll find SOME way that you like most veggies. Also, I have a smoothie with Vega One protein powder first thing in the morning. It's loaded with lots of goodness, including 3 servings of dark leafy greens. Which is great because if I have a bad day where I don't eat as much good stuff as I should, I know at least I got that!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Not to be harsh, but you're a grown woman, so suck it up and just eat vegetables and fruit. You're not going to be healthy without eating a plethora of fresh produce, and taking a supplement isn't a substitute for real food. You listed a bunch that you DO like, so start with those and work up from there. The whole "But I'm a picky eater! Ew vegetables!" isn't really acceptable past age 10.

My mother-in-law is 86, never eats fruit, and the only veggie she eats is an occasional potato becuase she hates any others, period. She weighs 100 lbs and stands 4'11" of pure adreneline, wears glasses only for reading, and walks 1.5 miles every day. She has never, ever been in the hospital and visits her doctor for yearly physicals. Doc says Mum's BP is normal and she shows no signs of diabetes. Oh, and she drinks an ounce of her brandy every night along with her piece of chocolate. Suck THAT up.

Good for her? I wasn't aware that your MOL was the benchmark for all other human beings.

Hmm, sucking it up seems to have gotten you far in your progress here.
  • honeyandmilk
    Options

I've lost 100lbs. Try again.

But I do love that me telling an adult to eat vegetables and fruits has turned into me being attacked and insulted. Cool!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Neither are you, oh very young one who joined MFP in August and has lost zero pounds, according to your profile.

I'm simply saying that there IS no benchmark. There will always be exceptions to every rule, and that is why you have to do what works for YOU and ignore the rest, especially those who compare your choices to that of a child.
  • honeyandmilk
    Options

Neither are you, oh very young one who joined MFP in August and has lost zero pounds, according to your profile.

I'm simply saying that there IS no benchmark. There will always be exceptions to every rule, and that is why you have to do what works for YOU and ignore the rest, especially those who compare your choices to that of a child.

For the second time, I've lost 100lbs so far. I only recently started using MFP after using another website for 2 years.

As an aside, is it really effective to throw insults at people in order to prove a point/defend someone else? You don't know who I am or my history (just as I don't know the OP's) but putting someone down based on their weight loss efforts (or lack thereof) can be really hurtful and/or harmful for someone on this site. I understand what you're trying to say, but you're no better by belittling me.

I'm of the belief that people need to eat vegetables and fruits in order to live a well-rounded, healthy lifestyle. Being that I'm a vegetarian, and a bulk of my diet comes from vegetables and fruits, I'm inclined to believe that others should at least try to incorporate fresh produce in their daily lives. There are exceptions to the rule, yes, but there is no denying that fresh produce is healthy and beneficial to ones diet. Sometimes in order to live healthfully, we need to do/eat/drink things that we don't *love*. Do I love to exercise? Not really, but I do it anyway. Do I love chugging protein shakes after a lift session? Not really, but I suck it up because it helps repair my muscles. Not all food is like eating a delicious hunk of chocolate cake, but we eat them anyway.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

But I do love that me telling an adult to eat vegetables and fruits has turned into me being attacked and insulted. Cool!

Attacked, insulted? Please. Your attitude clearly comes out in your posts and you were called out on it. Suck it up I guess.
  • honeyandmilk
    Options

Attacked, insulted? Please. Your attitude clearly comes out in your posts and you were called out on it. Suck it up I guess.

Girl, I don't care what anyone says about me, but it's ridiculous that people are throwing insults at me for telling a grown woman to "suck it up" and eat vegetables and fruits. This makes you better than me, how?

And insulting someone's weight loss is way more mature and effective than telling someone to eat fresh produce. My bad! :noway:
  • mrsricta
    Options
    How about a few eggs..or whole grains...greek yogurt...a little milk

I agree! Plus, if you try to force yourself to eat things you KNOW you don't like you will not stick with it, no sense in that! You listed a lot of fruits and veggies that are good for you and are part of a clean diet so just stick with those and add some other things in to round it out!
  • nikki801
    Options
    haha that was great :) Thanks for the laugh. Glad she is going so healthy. Its just amazing that people in that age can really have a great life unlike my grandmother who is 88 and suffering horribly.
  • nikki801
    Options
    Everyone stop fighting. Shes right I am a grown woman and I should suck it up and stop being so picky.. But the fact is theres a lot more behind it then picky. I didnt grow up with so many varieties of veggies.. and as one person said maybe its because of the way it was cooked.. I had a lot of boiled plain crap in my life to associate it tastes like trash. If i DO remember correctly i offered suggestions/solutions.. Instead of everyone fighting about who is right and who is wrong (and i very much appreciate those sticking up for me) and instead of telling me to suck it up, choke it down, stop being a 5 yr old, then offer me SOLUTIONS. Give me a recipe. Just MAYBE the way i had to before was the wrong way to eat it and it ruined it for me.. Just maybe you know of some great spice or a great way to cook or blend or whatever the hell it is you do that makes you think its delicious.. Obviously im open to trying things again or trying new, otherwise i would of never posted this post..

And speaking of new I literally learned of a blood orange yesterday... Anyone had it? Whats it taste like? And what do i do with it? just eat it? cook with it? Any recipes? My fiance and I saw a show with someone peeling it and that was it.. so really curious to try one in the next day or two..
  • nikki801
    Options

And i do agree that a pill is not an acceptable way to get produce. I work in pharmacy. Too many people rely on supplements. We need to supplement with the real foods not a magic pill. Which is why again, i have posted this post. I may hate foods and be a picky eater like a child, but at least im mature enough to admit my own faults and ask for help and solutions. But there was someone else on here who posted about supplements- ahh most that crap isnt fda approved and you literally have no idea what your taking. For all you know your eating guts and poop and dirt with a little saw dust and they call it veggies in a pill.. gesh.. its ok for multivitamins, but the produce in a pill is just wrong to me..
  • honeyandmilk
    Options
    Everyone stop fighting. Shes right I am a grown woman and I should suck it up and stop being so picky.. But the fact is theres a lot more behind it then picky. I didnt grow up with so many varieties of veggies.. and as one person said maybe its because of the way it was cooked.. I had a lot of boiled plain crap in my life to associate it tastes like trash. If i DO remember correctly i offered suggestions/solutions.. Instead of everyone fighting about who is right and who is wrong (and i very much appreciate those sticking up for me) and instead of telling me to suck it up, choke it down, stop being a 5 yr old, then offer me SOLUTIONS. Give me a recipe. Just MAYBE the way i had to before was the wrong way to eat it and it ruined it for me.. Just maybe you know of some great spice or a great way to cook or blend or whatever the hell it is you do that makes you think its delicious.. Obviously im open to trying things again or trying new, otherwise i would of never posted this post..

And speaking of new I literally learned of a blood orange yesterday... Anyone had it? Whats it taste like? And what do i do with it? just eat it? cook with it? Any recipes? My fiance and I saw a show with someone peeling it and that was it.. so really curious to try one in the next day or two..

I grew up in a house where a vegetable always came from a can and my mom couldn't afford to buy a bunch of fresh produce every week. When I was younger (actually, up until a few years ago) I hardly ever ate vegetables because they were always unappealing to me. I had no idea how to prepare them or how they were really supposed to taste. I should also note that I was over 300lbs. Long story short, I began to experiment with vegetables, became a vegetarian and haven't looked back since. My taste buds adjusted and I honestly love all veggies and fruits now and hate the things I loved growing up.

What I said originally wasn't meant to attack you, I was just being honest. I have a strong personality and have a tendency to be very brash, but I was in no way trying to put you down. Weight loss and health is about, well, sucking it up. I would love to sit around and eat cookies every day and maintain a healthy weight, but that's not a reality. What is a reality is that I have to get off my butt, work out and eat healthy, and that includes eating vegetables and fruits. You can't be healthy without eating fresh produce, just as you can't have a ripped body without lifting weights. People may tell you that you can get by without them and that they're totally healthy without them, but in my opinion, vegetables and fruits are an important part to a healthy, well rounded diet.

My advice to you is to eat the things you enjoy now, and then work up from there. The best way (imo) to prepare vegetables is to roast them - roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions/peppers, kale chips, etc are all delicious.

And once again, to those "sticking up" for you - it is really ineffective to stick up for someone by bringing someone else down. If you have an issue with what I said, why immediately attack me? What will that prove?
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Take 1 sweet potato, 1 butternut squash,peel and chop. Fry 1 chopped onion in 1 tsp oil til golden, add curry powder to taste. Then add sweet potato and squash, cover with water. Cook til soft. Blend til smooth, season with stock cube.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Picky eating is what my 3 year old does. A part of growing up is learning to try new things, and having your taste buds develop.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Alright, this message goes out to everyone.. I pretty much hate a lot of veggies... the only ones i eat are usually no no's like corn and potatoes... i do like broccoli but its gotta be cooked.. and it cant be plain. i like iceburg lettuce but i hate other lettuces.. the darker they are the worse it is for me to chew. I like onions, green, white, yellow and red i could eat them cooked or even raw- love raw. I love tomatoes. Love sweet potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, olives...

Fruits i like- apples with no peel, strawberries, sometimes i like grapes, lemons, the occasional orange/tangerine, avocados, peaches, pineapples..

and absolutely NO seafood.. ive tried so much and i hate it all.

so thats it ladies and gentlemen... How the hell do i eat better when i hate so much stuff and like so little??

I pretty much cant think out of the box lately and plan a menu... suggestions are sooooo welcome!!!

Just start to learn to like vegetables and stop being picky.
    Yup. You cna't be healthy without fruit and veggies. Anyone that says otherwise is full of trash. Period. And you already know this, as I do not think anyone can really not know this that is an adult.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    All of those are good options. I don't see the issue?
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Picky eating is what my 3 year old does. A part of growing up is learning to try new things, and having your taste buds develop.
    Yeah, for real. Grow up.