the 'you don't look like you weigh that!' club - who's in?

Options
trudijoy
trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
I hear this so often and it's like ugh, really? Boobs. Muscles. Frame....

97 kg and dropping in this pic, taken last night.

Who else is affected by this and kinda just has to laugh about it?

Replies

• Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I'm 5'6" and weigh 126 but I think that I look like I weigh more than that. Probably because I'm not exactly toned. However everybody else thinks I'm already skinny and that I shouldn't lose weight.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I suppose I fit into this. I'm 6'0" and 295lbs.
  • northfresh
    Options
    Haha I'm in! My manager just said this to me yesterday. I hear it often.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep.

size 12/14 and i'm 5'5 and weight over 200 pounds. i've always been heavier than i look though . when i was a size 2 i weighed 130 pounds.

when i played powder puff football in high school the other girls would just bounce off me and same when i played rugby. i had many situations where people ran into me on the pitch, i barely felt it but then when i'd see them at the party they'd be looking like rocky from mask and limping :laugh:

and it's even funnier when guys try to pick me up and aren't expecting there to be 20-40 pounds more they have to lift hahaha
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Well, when I got up to 200 lbs a few years back, a friend guessed I weighed 140. I was flattered by that. Apparently, even at my biggest, I carry my weight in a way that hides it. lol.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    woohoo it's not just me! peoples perceptions really astound me. I get the weight one, but also told i don't look my age, and don't look like a teacher....

what are these based on, eh?
  • whierd
    Options
    I would say you don't look like a teacher.
  • trudijoy
    Options

this is what i mean lol. what does a teacher look like?
  • whierd
    Options
    I guess the perception is that teachers are generally more conservative looking while you have a very "fun" sort of look and energy.
  • Minerva624
    Options
    I've had many interesting looking teachers so I think it's dumb for one to say that you don't look like a teacher. Is there a certain way for a teacher to look?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think i do. but i'm not sure in which direction. mostly people think i weigh less, but the other day my workout buddy guessed my weight as 50 lbs OVER what it really is. I let her fall off my workout buddy list when she got the flu and am leaving it up to her to invite herself back over to my gym. i need friends that motivate and inspire me, not make me 2nd guess myself and make me want to punch them?
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

this is what i mean lol. what does a teacher look like?

I get the "you don't look like you weigh that much" all of the time.

I also get told that I look like a teacher - which I am not!
  • whierd
    Options
    I've had many interesting looking teachers so I think it's dumb for one to say that you don't look like a teacher. Is there a certain way for a teacher to look?

You calling me dumb? :huh:
  • trudijoy
    Options

my point exactly. i AM a teacher, i work in a school, and everyone has their own look :laugh:
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I guess the perception is that teachers are generally more conservative looking while you have a very "fun" sort of look and energy.

thanks i think :p yeah i don't sacrifice who i am for my job, so nice to hear that.
  • whierd
    Options

thanks i think :p yeah i don't sacrifice who i am for my job, so nice to hear that.

It was a compliment. :flowerforyou:
  • Minerva624
    Options

You calling me dumb? :huh:

No. I guess the teachers of this generation are more laid back when it comes to their appearance than teachers were a couple decades ago. I knew a male teacher who had long metal head hair and wore band tee shirts to school. :laugh:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I`m 6`1`` and weigh 165 pounds... people are usually shocked by the weight... Guess they expect me to be lighter and forget that the height stretches it out better.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I look like what I weigh or not. Probably I do. But, I suppose it depends on what people's expectations are of what a certain weight looks like. I guess now I am curious about it.

Anyway, the thing I am wondering is...why are people guessing people's weights? I never encounter people asking my weight or trying to guess it. I also can't imagine I would ever start a conversation like that.

I also think it is very difficult to guess other people's weights because we all have an understanding of what certain weights look like on our own height and frame size. So, I would think that shorter people would always guess lower weights and taller people would guess higher weights, as an example (other factors influence the guessing as well).
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I'm tall and wide body framed so I distribute the weight pretty well. I get this a lot.