Correct Calories but not Healthy Food?

Options
Question for everyone. A big part of this journey for my husband and I has been portion sizes. Since we started measuring (and frankly, just paying attention!) nearly three weeks ago, we realized that our average meals are 4-5 servings for EACH of us, if not more. I was regularly consuming 2500-3000 calories a day and a majority of it was junk food.

Since we've been tracking, we've both been doing great hitting our calorie goal and eating "real" portions instead of each of us eating enough for the entire family on our own. I do, however, have to admit that I haven't replaced everything with healthy foods. For example, my breakfast is usually two 100 calorie granola bars and I'm much more likely to make a 130 calorie serving of chips and salsa as a snack than I am to make myself a big salad. I also rely on microwave meals for my lunch (but have replaced the 600 calorie ones with the 300 calorie alternatives)

If I'm not going over my calories, I'm feeling full and satisfied, and AM eating healthy food as well, is it "bad" that I haven't dropped all the junk food?

Replies

• deprek
    deprek Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this myself. Since I've started I've eaten more salads, incorporated more yogart and tried to find healthier snacks but I'm also eating regular (non-diet) foods/meals and just measuring amounts, watching portion sizes and counting the calories. I seem to be doing ok losing but I'm wondering if I can continue and still lose for the long-term???
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That's exactly where I am. I'm more likely to sit down with some yogurt than finish off half a carton of ice cream these days, but that doesn't mean I've stopped drinking non-diet pop or won't occasionally have a (measured out, fits into my calorie allotment) bowl of ice cream as well.

So, can you make healthier choices but not become a 100% healthy eater and still be successful?
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    To be honest it sounds perfect to me. Youve managed to improve your eating habits and hit your macros whilst still eating the foods you enjoy. I think thats what we should all be striving for. Your's sounds like a sustainable plan that would be easy to stick to. Well done x
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I still have somethings that are not healthy too. Although a lot of times some healthy foods can be very high in calorie like the avocado. I think you have a good balance right now. If you feel like eating healthier at some point then you will.
  • Cherylllyn
    Cherylllyn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The way I figure it...everything in moderation is fine, as long as you eat the food that your body needs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To be honest it sounds perfect to me. Youve managed to improve your eating habits and hit your macros whilst still eating the foods you enjoy. I think thats what we should all be striving for. Your's sounds like a sustainable plan that would be easy to stick to. Well done x

^^this
  • CSO200
    CSO200 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose weight this way, but to maintain and improved your health you likely should keep trying new healthy foods to see how you can improve. I suspect the healthier foods would give you more energy to make it through your day and be able to exercise to improve your healthy as well.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You can certainly lose if you're at a calorie deficit eating not so healthy food. And there's no reason not to have those things sometimes. The secret though is in moderation and making better choices...oftener. Eating healthier food may feel like a big change, and in the short term is a bit more trouble sometimes, but in the long run, it pays off in better health. And really...choosing more fruits and veggies gives you more to eat...more satisfaction, longer. So...don't make big changes all at once, take it one meal or snack at a time...but start making those changes. You'll be glad you did.
  • kaee13
    kaee13 Posts: 15
    Options
    I think you're doing great. After some time, you may want to start incorporating healthier alternatives, but you've taken a big, greatstep! Slow aand steady wins the race, after all.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As long as you feel satisfied with what you are eating. I would maybe keep an eye on the sodium as you are eating processed foods. But all in all, good choices. Good for you for cutting down on the portion sizes!!
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You've made a lot of changes already and are losing weight. If I were you, I'd stick with that for a while and then in the future if the weight loss stops, you can look at what else you can cut back on then. If you cut out absolutely everything from square 1, where do you go from there?

Well done on what you've achieved so far. :smile:
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Healthy food is a very debatable topic here on MFP. The orthodox Paleo folks have one idea. The Dean Ornesh diet folks have another. There are some who say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as it fits your calories. The latter group are usually younger. Older and hopefully wiser folks say to eat the least processed foods that fit your lifestyle.

The spectrum is broad. Personally, I believe the closer you can go towards the whole organic food side the better. Would I eat at Taco Bell... of course but it would not be my first choice. Your best carbs if you eat grains, would be complex because of their slower burn and nutrients. Grass fed beef would be best eaten at the least temperature that would kill bacteria descending into the generic roll of hamburger meat you pick up at your local big box store at the least end. Fruits in your season.

These are the ideals... McDonald's drive through when you have 5 minutes before your next stop is a reality sometimes but should not be the norm. Or.... be skinny with hypertension, kidney disease, cancer and every other possible nutritionally related disease other than obesity!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The way you are doing it is perfect because you are slowly improving or changing your eating habits. If you changed everything at once you would be more likely to say screw it. Good job!!!
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "junk" food, only junk diets. If you are hitting your calorie and macronutrient goals, then you are winning. In fact, as another poster stated, this is the way to maintain a healthy diet that you can stick with the rest of your life.

Depriving yourself of the occasional "fun food," is a recipe for failure. Eat for nutrition *AND* for pleasure, and consistently take in the amount of energy (calories) that your lifestyle requires. Yes, it's that easy. Yes, you can do it. And NO, you should NOT feel guilty because you eat chips and salsa or granola bars. Both of those are healthy choices, within the proper context. Both of those provide your body with nutrients and energy. Just don't eat the whole bag of chips or the whole box of granola bars. You see?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

^^this

328.gif
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Girrrrlllll :wink:

Take a sneaky peak at my diary. I eat plenty of "junk food" and do just fine!

Just keep within your calorie limit and you'll do fine! :flowerforyou:
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this myself. There are days when I just crave something bad and greasy