Correct Calories but not Healthy Food?

Options

Replies

• spartans1958
    Options
    i think you are doing great. Portion control is just about the whole thing.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. You are trying healthier foods, and minding your serving sizes. If I cut out all junk food, I don't think I'd have the will to do this. Had a poutine for dinner while watching the hockey game last night (there I go doing stereotypical Canadian things again). It was delicious and fun, and now I'm back to eating good. Had a banana/berry/greek yogurt/chia smoothie for breakfast and I've got sweet potato, zucchini, butternut squash and asparagus to use this week I still have my junk food, but I've traded chips for crispy minis and nuts.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense. Good for you!

Trying to change everything at once is just too hard for most people. Even the people who say they like the "jump into the deep end" method usually end up backing off the whole thing.

It's great that you feel satisfied with the correct calories. That's often a problem with people who are eating too many calorie-dense foods. They don't get to eat much, so they aren't satisfied. Luckily that's not the case for you. (And it may mean that you were eating healthier than you realize.)

You may notice other patterns about when you over-eat or tend to eat foods that don't satisfy you or that you don't feel are healthy. As you notice them, play around with other changes and see how they work for you. For instance, I've found that of the prepared foods I eat, sometimes two very similar meals (e.g., mac & cheese) are quite different in nutritional content and number of calories. I've also found that I can add some spices and even a few vegetables to one mac & cheese that I like, making it even healthier, more filling and still well under half the calories of another brand.

Don't deprive yourself or quit eating things you love -- variety can provide even better nutrition than just one thing, even if it's "health food". And feeling deprived or like this is just a short-term change, makes it much more likely that the results will be temporary instead of a healthier lifetime. On the other hand, if there are things you don't enjoy, consider dropping them off your menu. I love good bread, but bad bread just isn't worth it, even if a restaurant puts it in front of me for free. And this site has some wonderful, healthy recipes and food ideas -- when you're ready, enjoy finding new things that you like and which may be good for you too.

Great start!

(I've collected some of the ideas I like best about how to use MFP, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993 if you're interested.)
  • mlm821
    Options
    to read later
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Think about it: have you ever noticed thin people eating anything yummy like birthday cake, chips and salsa, big fat steaks? I remember watching thin people eat and thinking, How do they eat that crap and stay small??!!??!!

I think you are doing it right. Best of luck to you!
  • crazy4fids
    Options
    I really think portion control is a big part of it. I too was constantly over-eating. Just because you are hungry and can eat a foot long sub doesn't mean you should.

It's a shame that it is cheaper to order a foot long sub and throw half of it away...same with all those "value meals". They are all way over what a healthy portion size should be.

Other things to take into consideration are using healthier substitutes in your recipes. Like oatmeal rasin cookies. Instead of butter, you can use fruit puree, same with eggs. I have just gotten into this substitution stuff and am making my first batch of oatmeal, walnut cranberry cookies today, except I am altering the recipe and using pumpkin puree for the butter and applesauce for the eggs. I might throw in a tablespoon or two of butter just to satisfy that need for fat in a cookie.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    STAYING successful means finding what works for you right now, and going with it until you're ready for the next step which (I promise you) you will naturally progress towards. If it means eating the same stuff you usually do, only this time in correct moderation then knock yourself out. That works for you, run with it. That's what got me started. Just watching portions. Easy.

One step at a time!:flowerforyou:
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Yepperz!
    I don't think you have to eat absolutely "clean".
    I eat what I want, and stay within calories and have lost quite a bit of weight.
    If what you're doing is working for you, GREAT!
    You don't have to totally change everything.

If it's a goal to eat absolutely clean, I would think to slowly wean yourself off the junk. (so theres less chance of crashing).
    The way I see it, if you're body is used to a lot of junk food and you try to eat totally clean, you're body will have withdrawals--and you could end up crashing hard.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If I'm not going over my calories, I'm feeling full and satisfied, and AM eating healthy food as well, is it "bad" that I haven't dropped all the junk food?

Nope
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You've unlocked the secret to long-tern sustained good health and weight loss. Congrats!

agree!!!
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If I'm not going over my calories, I'm feeling full and satisfied, and AM eating healthy food as well, is it "bad" that I haven't dropped all the junk food?

Nope .. not really.

The concern would really come down to various health issues that can crop up (age related, family history, etc)

You're doing great making these huge changes and adjustments. At some point, you'll start replacing some of the junk for healthier options to cut out too much refined sugar or sodium. If anything comes up down the road .. you've already got the road paved to make minor adjustments as necessary :wink:

Who said you can't continue to enjoy life ? It's great that you're not depriving yourself of your favorite treats and working them into your daily goals instead. ❤
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I try to make healthy choices more than I used to...however I probably eat only 50% "clean". I am still losing exactly at my targeted loss per week.

I don't ENJOY eating totally clean. I love my salty microwave meals and pringles. I have always failed in the past because I tried to limit what I could or could not have. Now, I just stay accountable for what I choose to eat. If I'm having cookies, I log it. When my calories are gone, I'm done for the day. The kicker is, if I don't eat enough filling foods, I'm hungry when I go to bed...that taught me how I should eat pretty fast!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It really is a joy to see a post like this... with a poster who's made some great choices, but is open to doing better and is checking "just in case". And then seeing all the encouragement and support -- like this site should be. Thank you to all the posters -- original and respondents on this thread!!!! :flowerforyou: :love: :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For the most part I've learned quality vs. quantity. While there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, you are apt to be able to eat more if you make healthier choices. Here are a few examples -

100 baked potatoes = the same amount of fat as 1 ounce of potato chips (an average handful)
    1 scoop of french vanilla ice cream vs. 450 caramel rice cakes
    37 kiwi fruit vs 1 package of Reese's peanut butter cups

You get the picture. Baby steps. Kudos on recognizing measuring and portion control is key. Everything will come the more you research and enjoy the food choices and recipes that are waiting for you. Good Luck!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Its a great strep but you could still have some health problems a healthier diet would not cause such as fatty liver disease etc. If youre more focused on cals than the other macros. If you can fit it in your macros and want it then its your choice. Its certainly better than not paying attention at all! And as time goes on it might become easier to cut out soda and empty stuff like that. Its easier to change in steps.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    For the most part I've learned quality vs. quantity. While there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, you are apt to be able to eat more if you make healthier choices. Here are a few examples -

100 baked potatoes = the same amount of fat as 1 ounce of potato chips (an average handful)

You get the picture. Baby steps. Kudos on recognizing measuring and portion control is key. Everything will come the more you research and enjoy the food choices and recipes that are waiting for you. Good Luck!

In what world do you live that 37 kiwi (1850 calories) is better than a package of Reese (~250 calories)???? Or how is 1 scoop of ice cream equivalent to 22,500 calories (450 rice cakes)????
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Never make this harder than it is. If you feel good and it's working for you, go for it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

In what world do you live that 37 kiwi (1850 calories) is better than a package of Reese (~250 calories)???? Or how is 1 scoop of ice cream equivalent to 22,500 calories (450 rice cakes)????

Yeah. A 1/2 cup of ice cream can be anywhere between 150-250 cals (depending on the ice cream). And 2 rice cakes are like 90 cals. So.......I think your #s are off.
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

They are exaggerated examples (fat content) of quality vs. quanity that someone gave me - literally, no one would eat that much of course. I apologize for not researching the numbers more. Thank you for reminding me why I generally avoid the boards.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

They are exaggerated examples (fat content) of quality vs. quanity that someone gave me - literally, no one would eat that much of course. I apologize for not researching the numbers more. Thank you for reminding me why I generally avoid the boards.

INORITE?

Isn't it just horrible when people seek clarification for what appears to be erroneous information? Those people should just keep their mouths shut and let the bogus information go unchallenged because that's better than potentially hurting someone's feeling by pointing out their information seems questionable.

/notsrs

OP: Great job on finding an approach to improving your health that increases your likelihood of staying with it...so now, stay with it...and as you find "healthier" foods that you like and can fit those in too, even better.