Cow milk, almond milk, flax seed milk, soy milk.....

Options
124»

Replies

• Poetic_Photography
    Options
    I haven't seen flaxseed milk yet, but I'm a huge fan of almond milk! :drinker:
  • flypat01
    Options
    stop it-this is not the bio-ecol subject.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Thankyou.

Anyone who thinks that mammals don't need pregnancy to lactate can go straight to the bottom of "Biology1" :tongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactation#Lactation_without_pregnancy.2C_induced_lactation.2C_relactation

Edit: Sorry about hijacking the thread. In any event, I usually go for regular, full fat dairy since I don't like my foods tinkered around with (unless they are superior in deliciousness).

Thats hardly the norm is it? And nowhere are cows mentioned.

My point is, to the best of my knowledge there are no dairy herds who have mutant cows that randomly start to lactate as soon as they reach sexual maturity - they need to be got in-calf.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You do realise that she asked about nutrition and not ethics right?

^This.

And personally, I use soy milk because I can't handle U.S. dairy products. I am lactose intolerant when I'm in the US but when I am out of it, I can handle dairy products without the need for lactaid..lol.

I don't do almond milk because a lot of nuts (almonds being one of them) seem to set off my migraines.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I don't drink dairy milk as I am vegan, although protein-wise, I would have to say it's the best option. Soy milk also offers a lot of protein, but I do try to limit my soy consumption as it can cause problems with hormones and estrogen levels and so on. I mostly drink almond milk. The sweetened stuff foams up perfectly for lattes! I use unsweetened for cereal, oatmeal and baking though. Although almond milk has more calcium than regular dairy milk, I'm not entirely sure it's the best source for calcium as it's fortified (but as a vegan, I take what I can get!).
  • emgracefit
    emgracefit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've learned from a nutritionist that soy milk decreases the estrogen in women. I always choose almond milk or rice milk for good taste and healthiness.
  • nsdodge
    nsdodge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    To all the people who say cow milk is destroying the world, the planting of soy beans is resulting in the destruction of the Amazon rainforest, because of America's excessive demand for soy. Almonds are a terrible monoculture in California. So don't judge other people so hastily and assume you are saving the world through your eating habits. Everything has its downside. Personally, I just try to buy organic and support local dairy farmers which hopefully treat their cows with respect. But I realize I am not a saint and of course theire are negative impacts as a result of my eating habits.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I like milk. Few foods compare favorably to its nutrition profile and I've never read a convincing argument against it.