Want to join military... must lose A LOT of weight

Options

Replies

• slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    First, I applaud you for your desire to serve. It's not an easy life.

Per a chart I found, it looks like 141 to me: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blarintweightfemale.htm

Plus, even if you're over, you can always pass by being under on %BF. It's totally doable if you're committed, but it will likely take a good solid 1.5 to 2 years for you to lose all that and be fit enough to make a go at it.

That said, I honestly question whether or not this is the "right" thing for a young mom. You do understand you could be deployed and end up going where your family CANNOT go? Are you prepared to be away from them for months or more? I don't know if you're a single mom, but if so, who would watch your kids if you were deployed? Would you really want to leave them without a mother if something bad happened?

Look, I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you, but some people don't understand what they are getting into. I'm a disabled vet and know all too well what can happen. While I would not change my decision to join the military, it has made MANY things more difficult for me because of what happened. Don't do it just because it sounds cool, or fun, or even to learn a trade...

Yes you can pass on BF% but it doesn't look good.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Why do you say it doesn't look good? When I was in the Marine Corps there were plenty of very fit men who had a lot of muscle mass that always had to be taped for body fat and it never impacted them negatively. The weight requirement is just a simple pass/fail test.
  • CharlesLadd
    Options
    Just eat with moderate proportions. It's hard at first, but it get's a lot easier as you go! Just keep running and the lbs should just drop. :)

I am not sure this is good advice. She needs to lose more than half her weight and wind up in good physical condition - able to run for a distance in a specified time, like a mile in 10 minutes (an example only, I don't know what the requirements might be for her). This is going to take Work (with a capital W) and Time. Some have suggested she could do it in a year. Really? I would guess more like 18-24 months, at best. And if she is going to succeed, she will need serious help. Medical doctor, physical trainer, access to a gym or Y, etc. "Just eat less and keep running." Really?
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Why do you say it doesn't look good? When I was in the Marine Corps there were plenty of very fit men who had a lot of muscle mass that always had to be taped for body fat and it never impacted them negatively. The weight requirement is just a simple pass/fail test.

I think there's definitely a stigma to getting "taped." Sure, for those who obviously have higher muscle mass, not as much. But for those of us who were on the cusp, it was a whole different story. I remember the first time - I weighed 137 at 5'6", I was running 2 -4 miles a day and doing PT, had a physical job in the Army and I was still considered overweight by Army standards. It's just very black and white.

Now, 15 years later, I'm kicking myself for slacking off to the level that I did after I got out, lol!
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    First, I applaud you for your desire to serve. It's not an easy life.

Per a chart I found, it looks like 141 to me: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blarintweightfemale.htm

Plus, even if you're over, you can always pass by being under on %BF. It's totally doable if you're committed, but it will likely take a good solid 1.5 to 2 years for you to lose all that and be fit enough to make a go at it.

That said, I honestly question whether or not this is the "right" thing for a young mom. You do understand you could be deployed and end up going where your family CANNOT go? Are you prepared to be away from them for months or more? I don't know if you're a single mom, but if so, who would watch your kids if you were deployed? Would you really want to leave them without a mother if something bad happened?

Look, I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you, but some people don't understand what they are getting into. I'm a disabled vet and know all too well what can happen. While I would not change my decision to join the military, it has made MANY things more difficult for me because of what happened. Don't do it just because it sounds cool, or fun, or even to learn a trade...

It doesn't look bad if you pass on BF%! I have some really bulky people that I work with and they never ever pass weigh ins but pass their BF%. It doesn't put you into a "bad" caterory or anything. The military is quite understanding when it comes to this issue.
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Many people can and do lose that amount of weight or more. It takes commitment and time. However, why on earth would you want to join the military?

What exactly is wrong with joining the military? Why on earth would you want to join the military...I don't know...maybe a steady paycheck, family health insurance, a pension if you serve 20 years, training that would cost you $$$ in the civilian world, the ability to serve your country and give back a little of what your country has done for you, the ability to go into potentially 216 different career fields depending on what interests you, the chance to see the world, the chance to get out and at the very least see the United States. The Army is not all about combat and war, the Army is HUGE we do a LOT of things from acting as contracting agents for the government to tax aco****ants, to doctors, pilots, and yes war fighters...so I would say that there are MANY reasons why someone would want to join the military.
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Just remember that opinions are like Bottom Holes, everyone has one!
  • ambrosij
    Options
    ............... However, why on earth would you want to join the military?
    You join because you love this country. You join to be part of something bigger than yourself. You join because you care and you want clueless people such as you to be able to go about their daily life without ever thinking of what it takes to keep you free.

Ahh. Well, my question was based on her age and time that will be necessary in order to meet requirements. Thanks for the clueless comment though, soldja.

Yes because you made it abundantly clear that you were referring to her age (which by the way I have had many Soldiers that age..with children) and time when you made your comment. Please, you are just trying to sound less ridiculous then when you made the comment.
  • ambrosij
    Options
    To the OP,

Im going to be straight up with you...the Army is in an 18 billion dollar short fall, we are cutting training, we are cutting Soldiers, we are cutting EVERYTHING. Enlisting right now is going to be tough, you can do it, but it will be tough. The Army wont discriminate against your age but you should know you will be older then many of your peers, and many of them will look to you as the elder of the group. You can get your weight and BF down to the requirements in a years time but you have to not only lose the weight but get your whole system under control. While I don't agree with it, the Army is still very much about perceptions and fitness. I have seen time and time again the skinnier, faster runner get a job, an award, or a promotion of their peer simply because of how they look and how fast they can run down the road...regardless of the fact that their peer may be much better qualitfied and much more intelligent yet they are a little heavy and meeting, not exceeding the Army standard. It is important to know that your fitness level and body transformation won't be the end of your journey. In order to survive in the Army current culture and really gain all the benefits and opportunites that the Army may afford you...you must stick out above your Peers. You can do this by working 10X as hard as them...and maybe that will show through...but the easiest way to get noticed is to max that PT test and look fit. I struggle with it myself, it sucks but it is the truth. Also, to get the good jobs you really need to make sure your ASVAB is high as possible. The only MOS that is really growing right now is UAV operators...and i think you need an ASVAB of like 106 or 110.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    To the OP,

Im going to be straight up with you...the Army is in an 18 billion dollar short fall, we are cutting training, we are cutting Soldiers, we are cutting EVERYTHING. Enlisting right now is going to be tough, you can do it, but it will be tough. The Army wont discriminate against your age but you should know you will be older then many of your peers, and many of them will look to you as the elder of the group. You can get your weight and BF down to the requirements in a years time but you have to not only lose the weight but get your whole system under control. While I don't agree with it, the Army is still very much about perceptions and fitness. I have seen time and time again the skinnier, faster runner get a job, an award, or a promotion of their peer simply because of how they look and how fast they can run down the road...regardless of the fact that their peer may be much better qualitfied and much more intelligent yet they are a little heavy and meeting, not exceeding the Army standard. It is important to know that your fitness level and body transformation won't be the end of your journey. In order to survive in the Army current culture and really gain all the benefits and opportunites that the Army may afford you...you must stick out above your Peers. You can do this by working 10X as hard as them...and maybe that will show through...but the easiest way to get noticed is to max that PT test and look fit. I struggle with it myself, it sucks but it is the truth. Also, to get the good jobs you really need to make sure your ASVAB is high as possible. The only MOS that is really growing right now is UAV operators...and i think you need an ASVAB of like 106 or 110.

Agreed with some of it. Yes, the PT test can help that person who isn't as qualified get the promotion. The PT test also set myself apart from my peers and gave me the added promotion points (along with college credits) to blow my competition for awards, promotions, etc out of the water.

OP, don't worry about the weight. That number doesn't matter. You can be "over weight" but as long as your BF % is within guidelines, you're fine. You also need to make sure your fitness is to par. You can't even get into basic training without meeting some basic PT requirements.

I spent 8 years in, and now have a family with small kids. Enlisting is one thing I'd never think of doing now, but more power to you.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I'm 27 and trying to join the military too. I am 244.4 at 5'5 lbs. I have to lose until I get down to 155. I feel your pain. I am going to work hard and do this in a year. You can do it too. If you need encouragement, let's encourage each other. I'm too old at 27 to join several branches as active duty, but I can still join all guard/reserves, and even active duty navy and army. I will probably avoid the army due to the long deployment cycles. I rather not be deployed for 1 year+. Anyway if you want encouragement, message me : )
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    ............... However, why on earth would you want to join the military?
    You join because you love this country. You join to be part of something bigger than yourself. You join because you care and you want clueless people such as you to be able to go about their daily life without ever thinking of what it takes to keep you free.

Awesome answer.
  • ambrosij
    Options
    I'm 27 and trying to join the military too. I am 244.4 at 5'5 lbs. I have to lose until I get down to 155. I feel your pain. I am going to work hard and do this in a year. You can do it too. If you need encouragement, let's encourage each other. I'm too old at 27 to join several branches as active duty, but I can still join all guard/reserves, and even active duty navy and army. I will probably avoid the army due to the long deployment cycles. I rather not be deployed for 1 year+. Anyway if you want encouragement, message me : )

Army deployments are now only 9 months long, Afghanistan is just about done and will be closed out within a year...so I dont forsee any new deployments in the near future.
  • thinagain2014
    thinagain2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to look into joining. My entire family is filled with Army, Navy, AF and Marines! My daughter went into the Navy in September and is now in FL. She started at 245 and had to be 183 in order to go to boot camp which took her about a year with minimal exercise. After boot camp she is within body fat and has lost another 20 pounds.

I do not want to discourage you from going into the Army, but you should consider the Navy. My hubby and I were in and now our daughter. Those were some of the best years of our lives that we will never forget. And, it has the least amount of casualties during active duty, but I thank you for your desire to serve in any branch.

If you need a friend, I am new to MFP and I'm 5'4" 275lbs, friend me and my diary is open.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've known a few people that have done it. The Air Force also requires waist measurements for fitness tests as well, I don't believe the other branches do.

All branches have their remotes, some are just more painful than others... and a lot has to do with your job. Not everyone deploys.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I, too, don't understand why it doesn't look good. The entire time I was in the Navy I was considered overweight by BMI (have been for most of my life until just recently actually) but my body fat percentage was always around 21% or so. So even though I might have been being "taped" it was obvious, from the fact that I was so heavy, that I was actually fit. How does that look bad?

So my advice would be, to not stress so much over the reading on the scale and shoot for the best body fat percentage. They won't turn you away if you're a few pounds over but obviously those pounds are lean muscle.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I, too, don't understand why it doesn't look good. The entire time I was in the Navy I was considered overweight by BMI (have been for most of my life until just recently actually) but my body fat percentage was always around 21% or so. So even though I might have been being "taped" it was obvious, from the fact that I was so heavy, that I was actually fit. How does that look bad?

So my advice would be, to not stress so much over the reading on the scale and shoot for the best body fat percentage. They won't turn you away if you're a few pounds over but obviously those pounds are lean muscle.

^^This,

My weight I needed to be at, when I was in, was something outragous like 150. I'd get my 290-300 on my PT test, get taped at about 10% and call it a day. No one thought twice.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Well, my question was based on her age and time that will be necessary in order to meet requirements.

The OP is 29 - she has 6 years without needing a waiver for the Army. That's totally possible.

Would you ask, " Why on earth would you want to go to college?" to a 29 year old who was considering it?

Most of the "old" people I met in basic and tech school actually did really well in the service. They had more experience at life (adult relationships, responsible alcohol use, etc.) than a lot of us 18 year olds and that served them well.

This, exactly.

Yup. The older people often get more respect and better jobs, at least in my experience. They don't have to worry about the youngin' shenanigans. :)
    Even just 3 years active duty gives you an opportunity to go to school without the debt that often follows. I don't regret my decision at all, I'd just recommend that you don't go in "open general." Pick the careers you are interested in.

[my experience is with the USAF, but I work with members of all branches- they are very different experiences]
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The only thing I will comment on when it comes to the age matter is to try not to get a chip on your shoulder. Sometimes some people can have a hard time taking orders from those younger than them and feel that their age and life experience should automatically garner them more respect than they have earned yet in the military. While most that were older than me I had no issues with, there was this one woman in particular that seemed to just loathe the fact that she had to report to me while she was 10 years older than I. Made for a very uncomfortable work experience. Ironically, I don't recall having that issue with men older than me.
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm prior Navy, 5 feet tall, and was allowed to weigh up to 142. Someone isn't giving you the right information.

Now, if you want to lose weight to join the military I would look at the diet. That will help the most and make sure that you're in the right physical shape to pass all the fitness requirements. I'm not up to date on Army standards but I know that there is a 2 mile run involved and depending on your age will determine the time.