Does Coconut oil applied topically count as calories ?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,054 Member
    Options
    itsallhappening.png
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    And logically speaking, if applying such things as coconut oil added to our caloric intake, you'd see the nutritional breakdown on the bottle along with the ingredients.
    That would depend on how much information was available, or, to put it differently, how much knowledge the OP had on the subject of calories. You and I know that calories are energy which fuels our body. Often, people talk about calories as weight. If there was a slight misunderstanding of what calories exactly are, as was obviously the case here, and there was a presumption that calories are simply weight, then the runner guys vasaline may very well have calories whith which to add to a calorie log. We have more information than that, and so we know that this idea is false. As I said, it is a thinking question.

And as I said before, which you cut out - google search. Finding answers that may be more reliable. This wasn't a question to spark a debate or intricate thinking.

Here's what I found after 5 minutes of searching...

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/qotw/question/3393/
    http://www.oliveoilsource.com/asktheexpert/can-you-gain-weight-olive-oil-lotion
    http://www.kgbanswers.com/can-u-absorb-calories-thru-your-skin-for-example-using-olive-oil-as-moisturizer-tiff/10360673

This would have answered the OP's question pretty quickly. And no, these aren't scientific studies..but as I said..would have just answered the question with the first page...2 or 3 if you wanted more opinions or info.
    Reliance on internet searches have been shown to make the populace less intelligent.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Joylia, my favorite movies...I heart you.

P.S. Don't watch "House of Cards" on Netflix....it has Robin Wright in it...but she's evil.

I get very attached to the characters. My favorite movie is "Almost Famous" - and I won't watch anything else with Kate Hudson in it - because she IS Penny Lane.

focus.gif

Actually, this really makes sense in regards to a lot of forum posts..lmao!

almostfamous1.gif

Absolutely. I doesn't gets hurtz easily. And I totally WAS Penny Lane....back in da day.
  • bethann223
    Options
    Thanks for making me laugh!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    WhatKINDofbeer.jpg

What KIND of beer?
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I ended up here because I was using butter as tanning oil.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    And logically speaking, if applying such things as coconut oil added to our caloric intake, you'd see the nutritional breakdown on the bottle along with the ingredients.
    That would depend on how much information was available, or, to put it differently, how much knowledge the OP had on the subject of calories. You and I know that calories are energy which fuels our body. Often, people talk about calories as weight. If there was a slight misunderstanding of what calories exactly are, as was obviously the case here, and there was a presumption that calories are simply weight, then the runner guys vasaline may very well have calories whith which to add to a calorie log. We have more information than that, and so we know that this idea is false. As I said, it is a thinking question.

And as I said before, which you cut out - google search. Finding answers that may be more reliable. This wasn't a question to spark a debate or intricate thinking.

Here's what I found after 5 minutes of searching...

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/qotw/question/3393/
    http://www.oliveoilsource.com/asktheexpert/can-you-gain-weight-olive-oil-lotion
    http://www.kgbanswers.com/can-u-absorb-calories-thru-your-skin-for-example-using-olive-oil-as-moisturizer-tiff/10360673

This would have answered the OP's question pretty quickly. And no, these aren't scientific studies..but as I said..would have just answered the question with the first page...2 or 3 if you wanted more opinions or info.
    Reliance on internet searches have been shown to make the populace less intelligent.

Really? Where'd you get that from? lol. :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I ended up here because I was using butter as tanning oil.

oh_gif_by_gifsandstock-d4ldoq9.gif
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Come now. I understand the reasoning behing this question. It is absorbed by the skin. It is actually much more of an intelligent thought than all of you making fun of the OP.

It's absorbed INTO our skin, not through it. Skin has multiple layers. However, I agree with you that bashing the OP is just as stupid as the original question.

No one was... Oh, hi Ramberta.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    No. No it doesn't

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    be1c96b5908662ea09a3531c5d540967_zps9d5a44a9.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Come now. I understand the reasoning behing this question. It is absorbed by the skin. It is actually much more of an intelligent thought than all of you making fun of the OP.

It's absorbed INTO our skin, not through it. Skin has multiple layers. However, I agree with you that bashing the OP is just as stupid as the original question.

No one was... Oh, hi Ramberta.

tumblr_llze3fvhi41qf9jcfo1_500.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Clicking Recent Posts, looking for a come up, this thread is ____ awesome!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1530-10-20-2011_zps07d002b0.gif

no_zps0073af22.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It's true, google it if you don't believe it.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    snicker-karenljuj3.gif

Seriously you guys.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    1zvesqw.gif
    this
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    It's true, google it if you don't believe it.

tumblr_m6gg6oqt7r1qlx45oo1_250.gif
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    1zvesqw.gif

When I saw the title of the thread, I came in just to post this gif....BAH with my skank timing!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is called, "skinny drops". You will lose weight from eating it .

I found an article which you all should read because it says that when you EAT coconut oil you don't need to log the calories . This is because it isn't stored in our bodies, but is used as energy, raises ketones and helps release fat. It says you will lose weight from eating it. I am floored! I am excited! I didn't know this until now.

http://www.miracleskinnydrops.com/coconut-oil-and-mct-oil/

That's a terrible suggestion. If you eat coconut oil, you should absolutely log the calories. Wrong article is wrong.