Celebs that lie about their size

Options

Replies

• Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    They all dress in high end clothing. High end clothing is notorious for vanity sizing. I don't believe for a second that Kardashian is a "real world" size 2. Curvy or not.

Uhmm High end clothing actually runs smaller than average brand clothing. The reason why is rich people tend to be thinner on average so that is why more expensive clothes run smaller.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm not body shaming and she's a celebrity. A public figure. Someone who puts herself out there to be scrutinized. I'm not talking about a co-worker or friend here. Jeez. Y'all need to lighten up.

While I don't think you're body shaming (whoever said that is just trolling), I don't think your argument is valid. It doesn't matter if its a celebrity, your mom, your cat, or someone you met on MFP. That still wouldn't make it acceptable. (again...I don't think the OP was shaming at all)

Actually, no..I wasn't trolling..but thanks for the assumption. Also, I'm wondering how that would be considered trolling...

Quoted from the OP :
    I mean you just look at them and you're like "uh, your right *kitten* cheek wouldn't fit in a size 2".

Right. Tell me again how that's not body shaming?

If someone on MFP put up a picture with a body build and height that resembled closely to Kim Karsdashian and said they were a size 2...would it be okay for her to say, "Look, your *kitten* cheek wouldn't fit in a size 2. It's okay to own up to being a 4 or 8"....you are telling me that's not body shaming?

Its trolling because you're just trying to get a rise out of the OP, as you do on every other thread you comment on. While I don't agree with ANYTHING the OP has posted thus far, I didn't interpret her post as shaming. I don't think that the purpose of her post was to body shame. Do I think its an ignorant post? Absolutely. :drinker:

First of all - definition of trolling:

The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires deceiving; any trolling that doesn't involve deceiving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccessful troll.

Second - I stated my opinion not to get a rise out of the OP, but because I feel that judging someone else's body like that is just wrong.

And really, I do it for getting a rise? Hmmm..so what about these threads? Was I trying to get a rise out of the OP? I'm glad you follow every post I make and you absolutely know I'm a troll trying to get a rise out of people...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/888026-really-discouraged
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/887749-finnish-young-girl-s-getting-discouraged-needs-help
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/887109-feel-like-i-m-starving
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886888-feeling-so-tired
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886672-1-5-million-calories-in-775-days
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I'm not body shaming and she's a celebrity. A public figure. Someone who puts herself out there to be scrutinized. I'm not talking about a co-worker or friend here. Jeez. Y'all need to lighten up.

Yup...I'm planning on becoming a celebrity so I can be judged by millions of people I don't know and don't know me..because that's the only reason I want to get famous. EVERYONE knows the second I become a celebrity I stop being a person.

meh, these celebrites can wipe their tears from being judged in their millions. they are fair game.

not all of them have millions. you realize that right?

Right, and obviously having millions makes it ok to treat them worse than "poor" people? Like it excuses you from having common decency? Gimme a break.

when someone makes a living based on their looks, they are open to scrutiny. i don't make a living on my looks.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

While I don't think you're body shaming (whoever said that is just trolling), I don't think your argument is valid. It doesn't matter if its a celebrity, your mom, your cat, or someone you met on MFP. That still wouldn't make it acceptable. (again...I don't think the OP was shaming at all)

Actually, no..I wasn't trolling..but thanks for the assumption. Also, I'm wondering how that would be considered trolling...

Quoted from the OP :
    I mean you just look at them and you're like "uh, your right *kitten* cheek wouldn't fit in a size 2".

If someone on MFP put up a picture with a body build and height that resembled closely to Kim Karsdashian and said they were a size 2...would it be okay for her to say, "Look, your *kitten* cheek wouldn't fit in a size 2. It's okay to own up to being a 4 or 8"....you are telling me that's not body shaming?

Its trolling because you're just trying to get a rise out of the OP, as you do on every other thread you comment on. While I don't agree with ANYTHING the OP has posted thus far, I didn't interpret her post as shaming. I don't think that the purpose of her post was to body shame. Do I think its an ignorant post? Absolutely. :drinker:

Are you serious? Joylia? She's usually the positive voice of reason on every post she's in.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Who says? And what makes you the judge? :huh:

Yup...I'm planning on becoming a celebrity so I can be judged by millions of people I don't know and don't know me..because that's the only reason I want to get famous. EVERYONE knows the second I become a celebrity I stop being a person.

meh, these celebrites can wipe their tears from being judged in their millions. they are fair game.

not all of them have millions. you realize that right?

Right, and obviously having millions makes it ok to treat them worse than "poor" people? Like it excuses you from having common decency? Gimme a break.

when someone makes a living based on their looks, they are open to scrutiny. i don't make a living on my looks.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Can this thread FOAD?

I agree though, seriously, who cares what size they are? And the media gives a very skewed view of what celebrities actually look like, it works both ways though I think.

While I don't think body shaming is right in any form, most of the people jumping down the OP's throat can't sit here and claim they've never mocked a celebrity for their size or appearance. Or mocking others on MFP too.
  • Aviva92
    Options

[/quote]
    Who says? And what makes you the judge? :huh:

I say. I think I just said it.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    JUST BECAUSE THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE DAMN GIFS!

l05v.gif
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Quoted from the OP :

Are you serious? Joylia? She's usually the positive voice of reason on every post she's in.

^^ Agreed. Joylia is usually the positive, and supportive one in the crowd. You're going after the wrong person. She doesn't deserve it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Quoted from the OP :

Awww thank you Firstsip and Suns :flowerforyou:

And honestly, the reason this bugs me so much is that I am sure that a lot of people here (including myself) have had someone tease or be overly critical about some part of their body...and it amazes me how quick so many are willing to get all judgmental about others...regardless of social status. Is this the thing we fight to get over for ourselves as well as our children? To stop with the negative body images and such?

How is going, "Oh, pfft. She certainly ain't no size 2" really teaching our kids and our selves? That it's okay to hate on someone's body image because they are famous? That a size 2 or 4 or 0 has to "look" a certain way in person as well as on television/photographs in order to be a "correct" size?

Edited to correct typos
  • Aviva92
    Options
    all that being said, I have no clue what size kim k is. it is possible she is a size 2 with vanity sizing.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Her measurements claim to be-

so the "curvy" you are seeing is likely in relation to her tiny waist. My measurements are 34-24-36 and I wear a size 0-1.

Again, just sayin~
    It can also vary depending on how high/low you wear your pants. If you wear them all the way up near your belly button you'd need a smaller size then if you wear them around your hips or falling off your *kitten*.

Brill! I can wear them around my ankles and also be a magical mystical size 2. Diet over.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

Quoted from the OP :

The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires deceiving; any trolling that doesn't involve deceiving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccessful troll.

Second - I stated my opinion not to get a rise out of the OP, but because I feel that judging someone else's body like that is just wrong.

And really, I do it for getting a rise? Hmmm..so what about these threads? Was I trying to get a rise out of the OP? I'm glad you follow every post I make and you absolutely know I'm a troll trying to get a rise out of people...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/887749-finnish-young-girl-s-getting-discouraged-needs-help

Don't flatter yourself babe. I don't following anything you do, but as we clearly are both very active in the threads, I see you around. That is all :wink:
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    This is what gets me: Kim K is pregnant. She is going to gain weight...why? Because it is healthy for her and the baby. The end.
  • booty_wurk
    Options
    Well I certainly never would have posted this topic if I thought people would get so riled up about it. I love celeb gossip sites, mags, etc. and was simply stating my opinion. It just bothers me when people seem to be of a more average size but claim to be teeny tiny. I'm a grown woman so I'm not comparing myself to celebrities (or anyone for that matter), but I know a lot of younger girls do. Maybe Kim Kardashian is a size 2. I don't know. It was just an opinion. An observation. I don't have a nasty attitude, just a sarcastic and cynical one. I'm not sorry if you don't like it. I'm also glad you're all so quick to defend someone who's famous for being pissed on in a sex tape-no matter what size. :laugh:
  • Aviva92
    Options
    This is what gets me: Kim K is pregnant. She is going to gain weight...why? Because it is healthy for her and the baby. The end.

i assume they meant her size pre pregnancy.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

"You work at McDonald's, so obviously you set yourself up to be disrespected"!

"You make a living playing hockey, so you deserve to have some teeth knocked out!"

"You work as a telemarketer, so you deserve to be cursed at!"

"You chose to be a teacher, so you obviously WANT to be unappreciated!"

See what I did, there?
  • xxtaliaxx
    Options
    Maybe her thighs are smaller than mine but it's mentioned somewhere her waist is 39 inches. Mine is 40 inches and I wear a size 11. So I don't really get it....
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha this is so ridicuous, I'm pretty sure the OP was stating her observation (whether or not I agree with it) so everyone can calm down! You're all acting like you're waiting for these celebs to come thank you for sticking up for them in an online forum...let's all get back to fitness, yay :)

It's really a small sign of a larger problem, though, which is why people are taking the time to answer this. It is not necessarily healthy to compare oneself to any other body but one's own; weight loss, body type, size, whatever. Feeling angry, bitter, or resentful about this disconnect between one's body and expectations of one's body based on other people is similarly unhealthy (for example, if that bitterness translates into, "I think YOUR body isn't accurate to my standards or expectations"). This sort of topic has been posted before, just substitute Kim Kardashian with "my friend" or "my sister-in-law."

I agree with this! And with a similar comment by Joylia. Great conversation, everyone!!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Quoted from the OP :

Don't flatter yourself babe. I don't following anything you do, but as we clearly are both very active in the threads, I see you around. That is all :wink:

Well, maybe you should stop assuming that someone who makes a statement in disagreement with what is being said is being a troll.
This discussion has been closed.