0 calorie peanut butter

Options
124»

Replies

• kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Real peanut butter has protein, healthy fats, and just tastes damn good, try Jif Natural, after reading the labels on about a dozen jars I found this to be one of the healthiest overall as well as perfectly creamy and rich with flavor. The other good part is realistically a little goes a long way with Peanut butter. You can easily coat one slice of bread with 1 tablespoon of Peanut butter which is only 90 calories, so learn some moderation and you will be good to go!

I agree. The lower sodium Jif natural is in my pantry as it tastes good and has less sodium than normal version.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter and almond butter almost every day. Its completely possible to include it in a healthy diet.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Just do an extra workout and eat the real stuff.

This....I personally use the low fat Jif. Everything else I have tried, which includes what you listed, has been thrown out after the first taste.

I don't understand the low fat stuff either. It only saves you a few calories and instead of a few grams of healthy delicious peanutbuttery fatty goodness... you get added sugar.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I just don't understand this fascination with replacement "food." If I like something, then I'm going to eat it. If I'm cutting calories, then I eat less of it. Almond milk is not milk. Zero cal peanut butter and PB2 are not peanut butter. Light beer isn't beer. Carob is not chocolate. Turkey bacon is not bacon. I'm not knocking these things for people that truly enjoy them, but why eat something that doesn't really satisfy the craving?

THANK YOU!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The state of Florida is odd in that it tests foods to ascertain the accuracy of their labels. Walden Farms sugar free syrup was tested. It had sugar in it. Their claims are fantastic and unbelievable. I don't trust any of their products to make me lose anything but cash.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Reading the amazon reviews of that product made my day, hahahahaha.
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Real peanut butter has protein, healthy fats, and just tastes damn good, try Jif Natural, after reading the labels on about a dozen jars I found this to be one of the healthiest overall as well as perfectly creamy and rich with flavor.

I'd read those labels again. Jif Natural contains 10% added oil and sugar. Natural peanut butter should contain only peanuts or peanuts and salt. What is the point of adding oil to peanut butter when it is already so high in fat??

They don't just add oil, they replace some of the peanut oil with palm oil because it's stable at room temperature, meaning it (generally) won't separate. The nutrition, except for the sugar and the fact that palm oil is a saturated fat, is almost identical to peanut butter without added oil. I have no problem with the miniscule amount of sugar, and I actually intentionally add saturated fats to my diet, so I have no problem with those ingredients.

Perhaps you would have a problem with palm oil if you knew how it was obtained. Here are some links for you:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/poverty-matters/2011/may/31/global-food-crisis-palm-oil-guatemala
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/poverty-matters/2012/may/17/beleaguered-west-papuans-palm-oil-boom
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-reese-halter/rapacious-war-against-nat_b_2654866.html

Please do not buy products with palm oil in them. People are losing their land and livelihoods and huge swathes of rich and diverse ecosystems are being cut down because people in the West don't want to have to stir their peanut butter when it separates.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms dressings are also vile.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Wegmans Organic Natural Peanut Butter...made with peanuts, salt, and a healthy serving a YUM!!!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Saw this garbage and figured it was at least worth a try since one of my favorite foods is totally loaded with calories (peanut butter) and even though the ingredients weren't promising I bought it anyway. Got home and tried it right away. Oh my god it was the worst thing I have ever tasted! What an insult to peanut butter. I am now considering PB2 but hopefully it doesn't taste like this *kitten*!

http://www.amazon.com/Walden-Farms-Peanut-Calorie-Free-12-Ounce/dp/B000X1Q1G8

I saw the Topic and immediately thought. NO SUCH THING!!! Might be better off eating cardboard.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I tried it too. It was the most repulsive thing I've ever put in my mouth.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine what 0-cal pnb would be. The smell?
  • emmielaur27
    emmielaur27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It tasted ok in a shake but does have some ingredients I don't like to eat.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    YU-UCKKKKKKKKK

And PB2 tastes like Peanut Butter Flavored dirt, IMO. Best option is to just make room for real peanut butter, and stay away from the trans fat stuff.

I agree Bean I would sooner make room in my day for some all natural peanut butter..... Especially the crunchy kind!! Nom Nom Nom!! lol
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    2 slices Sarah Lee whole wheat bread=90 calories (Or English muffin=100 calories)
    2 tbsp Jif Natural PB ( 1 tbsp for each slice of bread)=190 calories
    1 apple=70 calories
    Total=350-360 calories.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable breakfast to me!
  • devore06
    Options
    I love pb2! at first it seemed a little griddy tasting but now im just use to it..and i would never go back to regular peanut butter!
  • laurenc42
    laurenc42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really like pb2