Ordering when you go out to eat!

Options
2»

Replies

• efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think you did excellent. You stayed within your calories for the day. You chose healthy items: chicken, sweet potato, and a salad. And you got to go out and hang with your friends....you did excellent!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    you ate out and you stayed under! Win - Win! Don't sweat it too much.... but you can plan ahead...
    If I know ahead of time where we are going out to eat.... I try to check out their menu online and the calorie / nutrition as well.... if I'm not sure (or can't find it) I go for grilled / steamed and any/every sauce on the side. I dip my fork in the sauce/dressing before the veggie etc..... I feel its more mindful....and LOADS less sodium... I do find that I retain a ton of water after eating out. so loads of water before and after helps too.
  • Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything that says crusty.....

Always go for grilled, ask for no salt to be added and substitute the potatoes for veggies.

We like to eat out and you just have to learn to ask for what you know is right.

(Not always fun but you can do it!)
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between a 'bad'meal and a 'good' meal.
    You stayed in your calories and that's a good thing. Most people wouldn't consider thinking about calories when the go out to eat.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you gotta enjoy life a little :) And I don't think you actually messed up. Even if you had, tomorrow's a new day and you can start all over :)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I just feel so bad and mad at myself for making the wrong food choice. Sometimes I think I'm to hard on myself.
    I always have a hard time when I go out to eat.

If you stayed within your calorie goals for the day, why are you beating yourself up?!?!?!

You need to just relax and look at the big picture here:
    1. You stayed within goal
    2. You were out with good friends enjoying yourself
    3. You didnt eat the whole meal
    4. Today is a new day
    5. You are beautiful, so stop putting yourself down!!!
    6. This is an NSV!!

Your choices for dinner were not bad if you were able to stay within your calorie goals!!! Many people here are still unable to go out to a restaurant and show restraint. You did! You succeeded here, this is NOT a failure.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I tend to look at the menu in advance when possible. I shoot or the grilled stuff. I always feel as though I am not going to be happy with my choice. I always feel like I really want to pick something that is unhealthy... but when I make a good choice, I find I am way more satisfied because I don't have the guilt. I went to Mimi's Café the other night and got the grilled chicken with a field green salad, and fruit. It sounds way too healthy to be fun, but as it turns out the chicken was cooked perfect and amazing (I got it blackened). I loved that I made a great choice and was totally satisfied. especially since I love fruit.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Could you have made better choices? Maybe. But as another poster said, if you were under your calorie intake goal, it's not a big deal. I did the same thing about a month ago, order ground sirloin instead of chicken. It wasn't a bad choice, but there was too much and I ate it. I was under my daily goal, but it made me sick.

I learned from it. Most places have an online menu along with calorie and other nutritional information. I dropped 130 pounds in 1996/97. I had to write everything down in a notebook. I had to guess and use calorie count books. It was so much more difficult back then. Even about 7 years ago, I was trying to lose some weight, and I used another online fitness program. They pretty much had nothing logged. You had to get the package and enter the info. NOW, though, it's so much easier to keep track.

What I learned from my bad choice and eating too much ground sirloin was to make a plan before I go out.

Over 15 years, I gained back almost 100 pounds of the 130 I lost. I remind myself if I have 50 calories too much or don't make the best choices, that this is a marathon, not a sprint. We have to know this is a life style change and there are going to be days that we have to make choices, and there are going to be days we make the wrong ones.

As I told a young friend who was beating herself up over a 400 calorie cookie, "cookies happen." The important thing is not to let times when we could have made better choices get us offtrack. (And I don't think you did.)
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I've actually lost 44 pounds. 28 since joined MFP.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    This is giving me a really hard time also, my friends and I always wanna go out on the weekends and its so easy to go over my calorie limit. I really really really need to stop going yolo on weekends though, all my hard work through the week just to gain a pound back because of one weekend is killing me ~.~
  • lilncbrat
    lilncbrat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Melissa: You know that inner critic that is always putting you down? Tell her to shut up and go make someone else feel bad, you were within your caloric limit and that was a choice you made. A good choice!
    THIS was the hardest thing for me to learn and sometimes, it's still an issue.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I google "heathy choices at _____" from my phone if I know I will be eating out somewhere. Then I log everything before taking the first bite. I know that when I go to Wendys I can have a sour cream and chive baked potato and a small chili and sometimes even add a side salad if it fits in my calorie budget for the day. The other day I went to Olive Garden, I had one breadstick, one plate of salad (no cheese, 2 croutons, low fat dressing) and I ordered of the 'Lean/Lighter Fare" menu, some type of chicken lasagne, it was soooo yummy and filling! I always drink water wherever we go. Some good tips are asking for sauces, butter, dressings, etc on the side. Asking to remove bread and other freebies from the table, halving your entree and asking for a to go box. Look for veggies for your sides instead of rice or pasta or potatoes, and ask for grilled instead of fried. Avoid cheese and creamy sauces. I've learned that healthy does not have to mean bland!
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat at Longhorn quite frequently. I always get the Sierra chicken (the lighter portion) and because I don't like veggies, I get mashed potatoes = 545 calories. If I add the salad (no croutons) with thousand island (obv not the best choice but the only dressing I like), add another 280 for a total of 825 for the entire meal. And it really fills me up. It's within my calorie limit for the day which is what really counts.

So, if it fit into your calorie count for the day, don't fret over it. :happy:
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    317c0fa4357363e6ba18eb1c41265b55.jpg
    Love this!