CONFUSED

Options

Replies

• x_ZEST_x
    Options
    Stop logging 10 minutes of housework. That's not exercise.

Oooh the negativity! The "ten" minutes was just a "for-instance" not actual time as I couldn't remember if it was an hour I did or not. But thank you for the response.

There was no negativity. It was fact.

But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and you obviously didn't actually want any real answers so good luck to you in your weight loss goals.

I have my answer thank you. Thank you for the feedback and good luck in your goals too.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Oooh the negativity! The "ten" minutes was just a "for-instance" not actual time as I couldn't remember if it was an hour I did or not. But thank you for the response.

But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and you obviously didn't actually want any real answers so good luck to you in your weight loss goals.

Putting words in the OP's mouth ("clearly", "obviously you didn't") doesn't establish you as a credible or likeable person. Just because you are right does not also automatically mean that you can't be negative.

One - I didn't put words in her mouth. I never said "YOU SAID". If anything, I'm assuming what she wanted not putting words in her mouth. But since you both ASSUMED my tone was "negative", I suppose that makes us even?
    Two - I don't care if you like me. I also don't care if you think I'm credible. I posted to be helpful. If someone doesn't want to take that advice, that's their problem. I have been successful in my weight loss goal so it's obviously not my problem.
    Three - Please point out ANYWHERE in my OP that was negative. Just because it's not what someone wants to hear does not mean it is negative.

Good god. Between you and the OP, you make me not even WANT to post helpful advice. And yes, my advice would be helpful if she takes it.

I had a response to your points but it didn't post, and I don't really care to retype it. You seem like you're having a rough day, and I'm sorry that your choice to command OP to "stop" logging housework as exercise didn't go over as well as you'd hoped. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever post advice, but perhaps consider not being harsh on someone who admits that they are still figuring out how the site works. Congratulations on your weight loss, but remember that not all of us are at the same level of knowledge on our journeys. And just because we aren't doesn't mean we are unwilling to become educated. Hence why OP posted. Have a lovely day.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed, did we?
    OP asked why MFP gave higher calories for something that didn't seem to deserve it. That's all.

But I do agree, logging things like housework isn't going to get you far, unless you're so out of shape that you work up a good sweat doing it. HRMs are a good thing, I hear a lot of people complaining about MFP's calorie counts being off.
    idk, it seems to work fine for me :)

No, I didn't. I gave a short and to the point helpful answer. I was then called negative. I have perfectly fine reading comprehension and I know what the OP was asking. I gave her an answer that I know would be helpful.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count my housework, unless I was cleaning really aggressively. Such as scrubing all tubs, sinks, floors, washing all linens, etc.. and doing it very hard, fast and deep.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use the "cleaning, light effort" to log my waitressing shifts. I work a 40 hour week at a desk so my activity is set to sedentary, I log only the time where I was busy at work or the times where I am running to my 9 tables, running up and down flights of stairs etc. The cleaning is the best estimate of how many calories I feel that I burned.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Am I just seeing things wrong? I'm still working things out on this site.

It seems to me that, for instance, if I do ten minutes on my elliptical trainer versus ten minutes on housework MFP puts the housework as more calories loss. But I sweat more doing the elliptical. Doesn't seem right to me. I'm confused by it. I mean if that is the case then I'll just do my housework lol.

I'm sure it's been said, but don't trust MFP calorie calculations. They're usually way off.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Putting words in the OP's mouth ("clearly", "obviously you didn't") doesn't establish you as a credible or likeable person. Just because you are right does not also automatically mean that you can't be negative.

One - I didn't put words in her mouth. I never said "YOU SAID". If anything, I'm assuming what she wanted not putting words in her mouth. But since you both ASSUMED my tone was "negative", I suppose that makes us even?
    Two - I don't care if you like me. I also don't care if you think I'm credible. I posted to be helpful. If someone doesn't want to take that advice, that's their problem. I have been successful in my weight loss goal so it's obviously not my problem.
    Three - Please point out ANYWHERE in my OP that was negative. Just because it's not what someone wants to hear does not mean it is negative.

Good god. Between you and the OP, you make me not even WANT to post helpful advice. And yes, my advice would be helpful if she takes it.

I had a response to your points but it didn't post, and I don't really care to retype it. You seem like you're having a rough day, and I'm sorry that your choice to command OP to "stop" logging housework as exercise didn't go over as well as you'd hoped. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever post advice, but perhaps consider not being harsh on someone who admits that they are still figuring out how the site works. Congratulations on your weight loss, but remember that not all of us are at the same level of knowledge on our journeys. And just because we aren't doesn't mean we are unwilling to become educated. Hence why OP posted. Have a lovely day.

ONCE AGAIN, as stated in my 3rd point, just because someone doesn't want to hear it doesn't make it negative. SHORT and TO THE POINT doesn't make it negative. It is the internet and it does not convey a tone.

I know that not everyone is at same level of knowledge, HENCE THE REASON FOR MY ADVICE. It is good advice.

I'm done with your deliberate obtuseness.
  • sardesc
    sardesc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The only housework I log is shovelling snow, it's the only way I''ll get the motivation to get outside & do it. Buy a HRM and you'll quickly find out how few calories you burn doing most things. For instance, I burn almost as many calories typing as I do during pilates.
  • x_ZEST_x
    Options
    Nice gif. but the housework I've done today involved packing my house as I'm moving and running up and downstairs cleaning so more than ten minutes. It was just a for-instance to highlight the cal burn difference I was seeing.

While I understand that's not normal house work, I still wouldn't count it, but if I happened to eat an extra 300 calories I wouldn't be too hard on myself. I've moved 7 times in 6 years. Still fat. It's about what you do every day.

I didn't count it as I couldn't make sense of it. WOW that's a lot of moving. Good luck on your journy. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

What the hell is going on here? Is this gang up on people who post good advice day? You're the one being harsh.
  • amymac5011
    Options
    well said, Ramberta! I don't think the original poster expected (or wanted, frankly) that kind of reaction. Helpful posts are those she (we) can learn from and remember time and again, not those that we want to forget!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's rather aggravating that anyone considers housework or shopping to be "working out" worthy of calorie burn logging. I'm not even sure why it's part of the cardio section at all, to be honest, and it can and does confuse people at first. Those kinds of burns (because yes, you DO burn) falls under your TDEE, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Everything that we do burns calories over the course of the day, but if you factor in burns that are supposed to be in this category separately, you're screwing up your totals for the day and making things more complicated.

Keep it simple-- if you work up a true sweat, log it. If you don't, don't! And if your sweating is part of your daily job, and therefore part of the Activity Level Modifier that you choose when determining your BMR and TDEE, then don't count that as a separate burn. Easy peasy. Good luck, and feel free to add me, I promise I will never jump down your throat if you have questions like others on these forums love to do.

I think its there for two reasons:
    1. Techonology has made us extremely lazy and we are not doing alot of the manual things our grandparents did, which some claim has added to us being more overweight today.
    2.There are some physicians and workout experts that say things like "vacuuming", "raking leaves", and the old Richard Simmons "park and walk" trick will help you lose weight.

I rarely log exercise, unless it is a 2 hour sping cleaning mega-event. I agree with you. I only think someone should log it if they feel that they are not gettting enough 'credit' in their TDEE. It should never replace an actual workout. I am a college professor, so I stand on my feet all day and walk across campus and up flights of stairs several times a day. I still have my activity level as sedentary. If you are eating enough, it just makes sense to underlog activity.
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options

^ This
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I've always done the same house work whether I was 170 pounds or 300 pounds. I didn't get fat by not cleaning my house.

QFT thread killer ;)

exercise gets logged not daily activities
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other responses but if no one has said it yet, don't log cleaning...It's not a workout. I also don't think the 80 calories you will burn doing 10 minutes of elliptical are workout either but that's just me!
  • x_ZEST_x
    Options
    Am I just seeing things wrong? I'm still working things out on this site.

It seems to me that, for instance, if I do ten minutes on my elliptical trainer versus ten minutes on housework MFP puts the housework as more calories loss. But I sweat more doing the elliptical. Doesn't seem right to me. I'm confused by it. I mean if that is the case then I'll just do my housework lol.

I'm sure it's been said, but don't trust MFP calorie calculations. They're usually way off.

Thanks, I've noticed a lot of differences over cals etc but perhaps I misread it too. I thought I was just getting old and not comprehending. :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options

It is if your baseline is sedentary.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Anyone else read the fact that she is packing and cleaning for a move?? Not an everyday house cleaning activity so not included in TDEE...

OP I have found several differences in what MFP calculates verses what my HRM calculates.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options

What the hell is going on here? Is this gang up on people who post good advice day? You're the one being harsh.

NO! If you read the entire thread, most people agreed that logging cleaning as exercise is not a good idea and she should not have that kind of mentality if she wants to be successful. (now, there are few...)
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's rather aggravating that anyone considers housework or shopping to be "working out" worthy of calorie burn logging. I'm not even sure why it's part of the cardio section at all, to be honest, and it can and does confuse people at first. Those kinds of burns (because yes, you DO burn) falls under your TDEE, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Everything that we do burns calories over the course of the day, but if you factor in burns that are supposed to be in this category separately, you're screwing up your totals for the day and making things more complicated.

Keep it simple-- if you work up a true sweat, log it. If you don't, don't! And if your sweating is part of your daily job, and therefore part of the Activity Level Modifier that you choose when determining your BMR and TDEE, then don't count that as a separate burn. Easy peasy. Good luck, and feel free to add me, I promise I will never jump down your throat if you have questions like others on these forums love to do.

I think its there for two reasons:
    1. Techonology has made us extremely lazy and we are not doing alot of the manual things our grandparents did, which some claim has added to us being more overweight today.
    2.There are some physicians and workout experts that say things like "vacuuming", "raking leaves", and the old Richard Simmons "park and walk" trick will help you lose weight.

I rarely log exercise, unless it is a 2 hour sping cleaning mega-event. I agree with you. I only think someone should log it if they feel that they are not gettting enough 'credit' in their TDEE. It should never replace an actual workout. I am a college professor, so I stand on my feet all day and walk across campus and up flights of stairs several times a day. I still have my activity level as sedentary. If you are eating enough, it just makes sense to underlog activity.

You bring up some excellent points, and I will agree also that in some cases, people with medical conditions are unable to "work out" in the sense that most people think of, and therefore can track the daily changes in their TDEE more carefully. However, I think that there should be an explanation for the "daily" activities advising people against relying on this actually affecting their weight long-term, to avoid confusion.