Does Anyone do Their Own Taxes?

Options

Replies

• rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Taxes are easy unless you're itemizing and then they are just slightly more difficult. TurboTax makes it pretty damn easy.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I dont do my own, we have a rental house etc, want a true professional signing mine lol...but I DO do other peoples lol...I use taxact.com and LOVE it.....
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Always have done my own, though I use TurboTax and they honestly are fantastic both online and from software in a box. I would suggest using them if you like it less complicated :) They have options for home business, students and many others.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I use Turbo Tax and do it myself....

Unfortunately, we get to bend over and take it from the federal government yet again this year!
  • ahodac
    Options
    I do my own taxes and always have. We have some rental properties, and this year we lived in multiple states, and relocation so it should be extra fun! I'm itching to get mine done and over with.

-- I should mention I'm an accountant so these things are no sweat for me :0
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I do Turbo Tax. Speaking of which, I need to get on that.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use turbo tax...Buy I always owe...Instead of the IRS holding my money...I up my exemptions to the max during the year and put it in my 401k. Why give the government an interest free loan..

I hit the MAX in my 401k every year. It doesn't seem to help. I also only claim Married 1. It has been a regular bash fest here the last 2 years. This is year 3 of bashing.
    Depending on what you make you might want to claim single 1 or single 0...will give you less during the year but more on your return...you can claim whatever you want during the year, up to 9 exemptions without having to be reported to the IRS.....If you dont want to owe, go single 0......
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I do my own too using tax software. We don't have much complicated so it's easy enough to do it that way. And when all else fails I just call my sister who's an accountant.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I do ours with Turbo Tax Premiere, but I usually have to wait until early April to file. We get about 30 K-1 forms and the equity firm takes quite a while to get them out to us every year. I've saved about $800 a year on prep fees since ditching H&R Block. I purchase audit defense insurance. The one time we had to use it, it turned out the IRS had made a mistake.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've used a lot. Every year I used a different tax website. I really liked taxhawk last year, so this is the first time to use the same product twice.All of them seem fine, i just prefer taxhawk.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I used to have an accountant do my taxes, until he was arrested for tax fraud and sent to prison. Then the IRS audited the last three years we had filed using him. Fortunately, even though the accountant was dishonest, we weren't, so we were fine after being audited.

Now I used Turbo Tax and have used it for the last 10 years or so. This year is going to be a bit more complicated because we are 1099d through the dog trainer we work for. But I'll figure it out like I do every year.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I use turbo tax...Buy I always owe...Instead of the IRS holding my money...I up my exemptions to the max during the year and put it in my 401k. Why give the government an interest free loan..

I hit the MAX in my 401k every year. It doesn't seem to help. I also only claim Married 1. It has been a regular bash fest here the last 2 years. This is year 3 of bashing.
    Depending on what you make you might want to claim single 1 or single 0...will give you less during the year but more on your return...you can claim whatever you want during the year, up to 9 exemptions without having to be reported to the IRS.....If you dont want to owe, go single 0......
    I claimed married 0 (my husband claimed single 0)..we have a mortgage, charitable contributions and we STILL owe. I just had to switch to single 0 withholding...just hoping to get closer to breaking even!

It sucks being double income, no kids...you really get screwed!!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    :
    I am doing mine now. I am getting bashed about the head, face, neck and chest area.

My questions is: did you log the extra calories burned from all the bashing about?

:laugh: :laugh::laugh:
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I do my own via turbo tax. I don't think it would be much easier to have someone else do them.

The hard part is collecting all the documentation to enter in to turbo tax. You are going to have to do this either way
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Yep. Takes me less than an hour (we're simpletons) and our Federal and State refunds have already been deposited.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Yup...I use TurboTax...well worth it, and I'm an accountant...just not a tax accountant.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I do. I use TurboTax.
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do. This is my first year itemized - since I bought a house and I'm head of household, but I'm also paying tax and penalty for a 401k withdrawal. I've worked it down to about $800 owed. I want to bash my face on my desk when I start working on it. It's been shelved for a few weeks. I'm not in the mood to finalize and send in.
  • AndreaMerrill
    AndreaMerrill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yup - filed online through turbo tax on Jan 28th and it was in bank account on Feb 7th :-) Ye ha!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Do mine online...did it over the weekend actually. It's easy for me but I know for other friends of mine it's more complicated so they have a tax person who sorts through everything.