To eat egg yolks or not?!

Options
This is a question that I've seen and heard arguments to both sides of recently. I've generally eaten egg yolks but recently someone told me I shouldn't as they're high in fat. But then I understand that they're good fats, or am I going in the wrong direction? Seems like a waste to not use the yolk but I don't want to hinder my weight loss effort!
Any information and guidance would be gratefully received, thanks guys!! :)

Replies

• Faulkners407
    Faulkners407 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionalist-but here goes-
    I eat 1, and 2 whites-for omlets, or for hard boiles eggs.
    The lean protein in the whites, is amazingly low cal and also high protein. I eat the fat as well to help me not be starving in ten mintutes.

But you will prob hear several different answers pro or con!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Eat them!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree with Faulkners407

2 whites 1 yolk :happy:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eat them. that's where all the nutrients (and taste) are. they arent that high in fat and besides that it's good for you fat, not eating crisco straight out the can fat
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I am against chicken abortions - i dont believe in eating eggs
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've done both... whole eggs are 1) more satisfying, and 2) have all of the nutrients in the egg. I don't want to say there's such a thing as "empty protein" but really? That's the only way I can describe egg whites most of the time. Good if you really need to get your protein in for the day, but not much good as a food in their own right. I'll use them to slim down baking at times or give baked goods a lighter feel than using whole eggs, but that's where it ends.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    I agree with Faulkners407

2 whites 1 yolk :happy:
    This is what I do as well. Still gives me color and flavor and fats, but not all the calories.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. A large egg has only about 75 calories, and it loaded with good stuff. Just don't eat dozens every week.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Depends on your tastes and how you plan your days. Most folks can "afford" the fat of a few egg yolks in their calorie and macro budget.
  • kathymosley9
    Options
    If I eat 2 eggs , I eat 1 yolk. Eggs are excellent protien, and its true that the yolks are higher in fat, but never the less I feel they are an unaltered, God created food just great the way it is.. but in dieting we need to trim the fat!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionalist-but here goes-
    I eat 1, and 2 whites-for omlets, or for hard boiles eggs.
    The lean protein in the whites, is amazingly low cal and also high protein. I eat the fat as well to help me not be starving in ten mintutes.

But you will prob hear several different answers pro or con!

Faulkner's on the same trail I am...:)

If I make an omelet or scrambled eggs, I do one regular egg and then add an egg white or two. I like the reduced calories and I still feel satisfied when I'm done eating. :) When I make hard-boiled eggs, I'll make two or three and then share a couple of the yolks with my dog. She loves me for it! :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them! Or else send them to me so I can make delicious creme anglaise and lemon curd.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolks - they are good for you. Yes, the majority of calories in an egg are in the yolk, but we're only talking about 70 calories in an egg anyway.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks contain a fairly high amount of cholesterol.
    I don't have a cholesterol problem, so I enjoy a few whole eggs with yolks each week. On the other hand, I do want to take advantage of the great high protein, low calorie/fat nature of egg whites more than that, so I will eat egg white only dishes several times a week as well.

A whole plate of scrambled egg whites, 10 servings, is only 250 calories, 50 grams protein, no fat, no carbs.
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good fats that are in eggs are not the enemy people! eat the whole egg! egg whites are almost useless. The yolk is where the nutrients are.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I always eat the egg yolks, otherwise I'd be wasting food.
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks do contain about 170 mg+ of cholesterol per yolk. However, they are full of essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins as well. I do agree that potentially limiting to 1 yolk is a good idea. I will also say there are a lot of worse things you could be eating such as a lot of red meat, fried foods, packaged chips, etc. I love eggs and eat several per week as part of my heart healthy, low calorie diet :). Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Mother nature cries when you throw out the egg yolk
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs once or twice a week. I generally eat 3 at a time and always eat the yolk ... I was still able to lose 64 lbs in 10 months and I have maintained my weight for 6 months now. The secret is ... exercise ... I go to the gym 3 - 4 days a week so I can eat anything I want, in moderation. The exercise also keeps me from having a cholesterol problem.
  • packergirl2007
    Options
    there is so much other crap that you put into your body every day that you should be MORE worried about... GMOs, artifical dyes, etc.

Buy organic eggs and eat the yolk. It's fine. Cut out more of the processed stuff instead.