What shoes do you love for running outdoors?

Options
Hi, I do a lot of outdoor running and am looking for a new pair of shoes. What are your favorites? I am looking at Nike Pegasus right now. Anyone like or dislike those?

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    do you mean road running or trail running?
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Road running I suppose. When I'm on trails, I'm usually hiking. I run through my neighborhood though.
    do you mean road running or trail running?
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    I love my Nike Pegasus. They are the only Nike shoe that compares to Asics Nibus (not sure I spelled that right) line. Both are a neutral with good cushioning.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If you haven't yet, I would head to a local running store and get fitted for proper shoes. It really can make all the difference! That being said, I personally like minimal running shoes and the Nike Free Runs are one of my favorites... although right now I'm sporting the Brooks Pure line.
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    I really want to go get fitted! I never have. Do places like Sports Authority or ****s do that? I'm also afraid of them just trying to sell me the most expensive shoe... ??
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you haven't yet, I would head to a local running store and get fitted for proper shoes. It really can make all the difference! That being said, I personally like minimal running shoes and the Nike Free Runs are one of my favorites... although right now I'm sporting the Brooks Pure line.

AGREED. You NEED a shoe that's suited for your own personal gait. I'm an overpronator with a midfoot strike- these are my new FAVORITE shoes:
    BAGTXW1-1.jpg
    Brooks Adrenaline GTX- they're a trail shoe (so, heavy tread, semi-stiff sole) with a goretex layer that makes them pretty much waterproof. They've been fantastic in the winter snow- I can run in ankle-deep powder without my feet getting wet and cold. I'm not suggesting ou get MY perfect shoe, but the trail treads and goretex are great features for winter outdoor running.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks' running shoes. I went to ****'s Sporting Goods when I got mine and they watched me walk and run to tell how my foot moved during that. They can then tell you based on your measurements and pronation which shoes would be best for you. In my case they're the ones who recommended my first pair of Brooks' and I've always had really good luck with them. I'm now on my 4th pair of them and they've never let me down.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Vibrams (vibram five fingers) all the way, indoor, outdoor, triathlon training the works...
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    Don't know if the big retailers do or not. I went to a local running store to get my gait checked. From that time on I just research which shoes fit my needs. From there just trial and error.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I really want to go get fitted! I never have. Do places like Sports Authority or ****s do that? I'm also afraid of them just trying to sell me the most expensive shoe... ??

No, not regular sports stores. You go to a specialty running store. They're little places that stay in business because of customer loyalty. I have not found that they try to sell you the most expensive shoe- they NEED your return business and so they generally do their best to be awesome. A proper store will have you run on a treadmill or outside to watch your gait, and then pick shoes for you based on your movement patterns. If you feel that they're too expensive, you can come home and shop online for the shoe you want, but I almost guarantee that you'll want to buy from them once you get fitted. They really go out of their way to sell you the right shoe- it's the only way their business can survive against places like Sports Authority.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

AGREED. You NEED a shoe that's suited for your own personal gait. I'm an overpronator with a midfoot strike- these are my new FAVORITE shoes:
    BAGTXW1-1.jpg
    Brooks Adrenaline GTX- they're a trail shoe (so, heavy tread, semi-stiff sole) with a goretex layer that makes them pretty much waterproof. They've been fantastic in the winter snow- I can run in ankle-deep powder without my feet getting wet and cold. I'm not suggesting ou get MY perfect shoe, but the trail treads and goretex are great features for winter outdoor running.

I'm lusting after some trail shoes but making do with my road shoes for now (Asics Kayano - bit of extra stability that works with my orthotics and great cushioning for my damaged knees).

Everyone is different - go to a store, get advice, try on every shoe until you find one that feels great for you :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Not sure about those stores, but try to find a local store that specializes in running. I did that because my husband was buying them for my birthday. I wrote down the names of the recommendations, then bought online at roadrunnersports(dot com)....a lot cheaper. I got a second pair at a Nike outlet...

Getting fitted is the best thing you can possibly do. I had major shin splints from the shoes I bought because they looked cool, and felt good enough in the store...
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I hate Nikes. Don't fit right, hurt, etc.

I like Adidas-es. My favourites were Marathons.

I like Asics. They last a good number of miles - at least the DS Sky Speeds do for me.

I'm indifferent to K-Swiss shoes
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    Thanks guys! So much! I will will find a place to get fitted. :)
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks!
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with other posters that you should get fitted for the right kind of shoe (i.e. neutral/stability etc.). If you don't have a local running store to do a gait analysis, go to Runner's World website for some tips on how to figure out what kind of shoe you need. I tried to run in what I thought felt comfortable for awhile and kept having knee problems. After seeing a physical therapist, it turned out I wearing the wrong kind of shoe. I've been injury free for 10+ years now (even during training for 3 marathons).
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Ive worn out 4 pair of Nike Pegasus now and will b going back for more!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore Vibrams. I used to use just the classics, but I recently switched to the KMD LS and I could not be happier. For my size, I'm putting a ton of strain on myself and on these shoes, but they hold up so wonderfully. I also severed my achilles a couple of years ago and went through everything from custom orthopedic sneakers to Brooks Adrenalin to Nike and none of them came near to the Vibrams. I just re-tested the custom sneakers out last weekend to check if it was just that my achilles was more fully healed, but nope--I tore them off within minutes, put the Vibrams back on and felt instantly better.

They take a little extra breaking in and getting used to (plus they are pretty...ugly), but it's totally worth it.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KMD-Sport-LS-Womans.htm
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    after visiting a running store to get my feet checked out I walked away with mizuno shoes. OMG I can't believe i have never tried these before. The lady said that I needed a stabilizer but none felt right. Just on a whim she put a neutral shoe on me and it was like cinderella's glass slipper being put on my foot. Like others have said they will sell you the shoe best for you, not the most expensive shoe. She told me that one particular shoe, asics brand, has been her top seller for 10 years. She told me that i probably like the neutral shoe better because of the comment I made about hating shoes and preferring to be barefoot (that's what made her go grab a neutral shoe for me to try on). She watched me walk barefoot and in all the shoes and sold me the shoe best fitted for me that put my foot in the best position. i will def be going back there next time i need shoes.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love the Pegasus too. They are an old model, which I think means they are kinda basic -- that is, they are not try to fix my foot or running problems. I have run in them for probably 10 years and I think they last well. Plus, they come in different widths, which is a bonus.
    But, that said, different shoes fit different people. Some don't like the Nike fit. I don't, except when I wear a ee- or eee-wide shoe.