Kettle-bells...are they worth the purchase?

Options

Replies

• NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Hhhmmm...maybe I'll put them on my b-day list. How pricey is pricey for decent kettle bells? Guessing the heavier they are the more they cost...just like with anything.

I think they are about $1 a pound.

A little more than that. Check Amazon for the best prices - CAP seems to be the most affordable.

My first one was $18 total with tax for a $15 lb one. I didn't buy my other ones, but that is about a $1 a lb. Wouldn't shipping on Amazon be crazy because of the weight??

I think I paid $50 for a 40 pounder, so $1.25 a pound. Shipping was free.

Cool! Good to know. Thanks!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I love mine. Please do not buy the JM dvd. It is not worth the money. There are better ones on YouTube for free.

Well, I didn't pay for the video but why do you say it's a waste of maney? Just curious...trying to get all the facts, info, etc. before investing in something like this.

http://thisjourneyismyown.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/jillian-michaels-pisses-off-the-kettlebell-community/

http://www.charmcitykettlebells.com/sandys-journal/jillianmichaelsisbadforkettlebells/
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also bought the walmart/danskin one and love it! I got the 10 pound one ($20) and it's really helped me a lot. She goes at a decent pace, and really explains everything, but not to the point where you get really bored.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I love my kettlebells. The biggest advantage for me is that I find the workouts less boring. I also recommend starting out at at least 15 lbs for a woman. I have purchased all of mine on Amazon.

My favorite websites for free workouts:

http://www.myomytv.com/category/beginners-corner/beginners-kettlebell-workouts/

http://livefitrevolution.org/

One note - please spend a lot of time getting your form right. Your arms and shoulders should be doing VERY little in a kettlebell swing - it should all be momentum from the hip thrust. I have heard that the Jillian Michaels videos demonstrate poor form. I cannot vouch for that, having never seen the videos.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    As others have said....would definitely recommend them. I've been working out with them for about a month and a half and feel incredible. I started out with a 35lb kettlebell and just over the weekend moved up to a 44lb one. My trainer recommended Apollo and it was about 60 bucks for a 35lb one around here.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Hhhmmm...maybe I'll put them on my b-day list. How pricey is pricey for decent kettle bells? Guessing the heavier they are the more they cost...just like with anything.

I think they are about $1 a pound.

A little more than that. Check Amazon for the best prices - CAP seems to be the most affordable.

My first one was $18 total with tax for a $15 lb one. I didn't buy my other ones, but that is about a $1 a lb. Wouldn't shipping on Amazon be crazy because of the weight??

I think I paid $50 for a 40 pounder, so $1.25 a pound. Shipping was free.

Cool! Good to know. Thanks!

That really is good to know! I feel like I was ripped of now. I paid 50 bucks for a 25 pound at a local sport store.

PS OP: I'm still pretty weak, and a 25 pound bell is getting easy for me. Those tiny ones won't do anything that can't be accomplished with dumbbells imo. In short, yes I think a heavier one is worth the investment in a home gym.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells, an excellent compliment to my callisthenics and yoga work.

Some great kettlebell/HIIT routines by Fitness Blender for free on You Tube.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started off with 10kg, occasionally used 8kg for clean and press (I have a shoulder problem so can't always use really heavy in moves that would aggravate it). I bought mine from ebay, it was £18 I think.
  • jazz200728
    Options
    I've used them before, My only issue is that when you are doing certain types of exercises, they hurt your arm and you end up bruising as a result. Other than that, I do like them and it feels like a better workout using them.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Well, thank you everyone! You've given me a lot to think about. :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The form JM demonstrates stresses the lower back. It is an involuntary result that happens when people use a weight that is too light. As has been mentioned in this thread, NOBODY ANYWHERE EVER should be using one that is less than ~15 lbs (if using standard imperial) or ~8kg (if using metric). Forget anything lighter exists. You need something heavy enough to challenge the weight in your LOWER BODY muscles, which are stronger than you give them credit for.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Meow.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Kettle bells are awesome!!!
  • LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I say no, but I am biased.... I started using them for HIIT cardio and ended up with a really severe tennis elbow that I may never get healed :-(. Maybe partly my own fault, but still....
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I love my kettle-bells but, you need to be instructed in its proper use to avoid injury. I purchased my set before working with a trainer & I clearly did not use them properly before. Now, I love the workouts since working with a trainer.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I just took a look on YouTube for beginner workouts. There are so many, how do know which are good ones to use? What are some of everyone's favourite videos?
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What is so great about these kettlebells I keep hearing about? I'm just envisioning myself swinging around a giant weight and the resulting disaster as it flies through the big screen TV. :huh: I also fear for the lives of my husband/dogs/cat.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yes, totally worth it.. I am pretty sure that having incorporated kettlebells last month, it contributed to a HUGE loss in my lower back and butt area. I actually have a natural curve now..

Kettlebells + Squats = great combo.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I just took a look on YouTube for beginner workouts. There are so many, how do know which are good ones to use? What are some of everyone's favourite videos?

Look for RKC training.
  • slainnz
    slainnz Posts: 75
    Options
    Bump