Healthy Recipes - FAIL!

Options
Dee_84
Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
I was just wondering if anybody who tried the healthy recipes out there did NOT like them at all?

Baked goods with chickpeas and beans? Pancakes, cookies, ice cream with bananas? Pizza crust/bites with broccoli & cauliflower?

Tell about your kitchen disasters :sick:

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Black bean Brownies by Rocky DeSprito. I couldn't even give them away. Terrible. They kind of tasted like I imagine coffee grinds would. Blech.
  • bucketbott
    bucketbott Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One time I had the brilliant idea to use Greek yogurt mixed with curry powder as a condiment on a turkey wrap. Ever since then I use other people's recipes and ideas...
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    As we commonly say in our house, "Welp, they can't all be winners."
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This thread ought to give you some pretty blatant opinions on healthifying recipes, from both sides of the fence!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/889098-please-stop-i-beg-of-you
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    That way lies madness.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    "Healthy Fried Chicken" that wasn't fried but battered in hummus and baked. I like hummus but this was the worst chicken I have ever had. It wasn't crispy like it said it would be. It was soggy and terrible.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if anybody who tried the healthy recipes out there did NOT like them at all?

Baked goods with chickpeas and beans? Pancakes, cookies, ice cream with bananas? Pizza crust/bites with broccoli & cauliflower?

Tell about your kitchen disasters :sick:

Never tried most of these, never want to. The only vegetable I would really bake something with is pumpkin (or is that a fruit?) - pumpkin brownies, pumpkin sludge, pumpkin cheesecake, ice cream, etc. Why? Because pumpkin is delicious.

Have to admit, though. Banana ice cream is delicious. Whipped a blueberry variant of it up tonight. :D
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well... not sure if this counts... but a diet frozen cuba libre tastes like crap! :) Still working on it tho! What fun is having a margarita machine if I can't get the drink I want, how I want it!! :P
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    The two ingredient oatmeal and banana "cookies". it took some serious doctoring up to make those things edible
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think the worst one I've had to date was discovering that if you can't find your whey protein powder. using soy protein isolate in a berry smoothie is... not the same at all. Blech!!! I had a mouthful and poured it down the sink.

=Betty=
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    "Healthy Fried Chicken" that wasn't fried but battered in hummus and baked. I like hummus but this was the worst chicken I have ever had. It wasn't crispy like it said it would be. It was soggy and terrible.

Sounds awful :ohwell:
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had had a recipe for a spaghetti squash bake recipe that was supposed to be the same equivalent of a pasta bake. It was inedible!! I don't know if the spaghetti squash was bad, but the thing was a disaster :p My husband, The Human Garbage Disposal, wouldn't touch it :p
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I made low sodium/ low sugar baked beans and they tasted like vinegar. My hubby liked them....but he eats anything so his opinion doesn't count. :laugh:
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Single serve brownie with greek yogurt...oh my word! It was sour and blech! I wasted perfectly good chocolate on that :(
  • caseypaige84
    caseypaige84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    WW Stove Top Mac and Cheese. It was not very appetizing
  • rcarlow
    rcarlow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Fried Rice is amazing. My kids did not know it was cauliflower...Said oh, mom...this Chinese Food is so good and they gobbled it right up...Grated Cauliflower,scrambled egg, bean sprouts, scallions, ginger, garlic, a little bit of low sodium soy, and a drop or two of sesame oil...yum! Oh yea and a tiny bit of EVOO to sautee ginger,garlic and whites of scallions.
    Black Bean brownies were like eating dirt!
  • 20tulipgirl20
    Options
    Not sure if it was the vanilla extract, but I made a blueberry, blackberry, and raspberry smoothie with protein powder and thought "hey, why not add some vanilla extract!".... Nasty
  • olives28
    Options
    1. Shiritaki Noodles are DISGUSTING. They have the consistency of a pencil eraser and they are completely unedible. I tried frying, baking, everything but no, just no. Please save your money.

2. Spaghetti Squash...disgusting. Not exaggerating when I say that I puked.

3. Cauliflower with pizza is SO GOOD. I HATE vegetables but I loved these. They don't even taste like cauliflower, they just taste like a crumbly, soft bread. please try it..
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The two ingredient oatmeal and banana "cookies". it took some serious doctoring up to make those things edible

Mine were fabulous the first time I made them. My recipe calls for applesc and raisins and dried apricots. They are 100 cals ea.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Never tried most of these, never want to. The only vegetable I would really bake something with is pumpkin (or is that a fruit?) - pumpkin brownies, pumpkin sludge, pumpkin cheesecake, ice cream, etc. Why? Because pumpkin is delicious.

Have to admit, though. Banana ice cream is delicious. Whipped a blueberry variant of it up tonight. :D

Pumpkin is a squash if that helps