Army Hair Cuts

Options
2»

Replies

• cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump just for you congratulations on joining you look great either way you choose

thank youu! :]
  • JessWolf1002
    JessWolf1002 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was in the Army and my hair was LONG during Basic and my entire military career. I either wore it in a French braid and pinned under so the ends didn't touch my collar or in a bun. Do a YouTube search for how to do a "sock bun". It's the easiest way to get your hair super neat and clean and up to military standard. Oh and I'm not sure if they still do this, but when I went to basic in '04 if you had any kind of highlights or unnatural color in your hair you had to go get it dyed by the Army hair dresser. Luckily mine was plain brown but I would try to avoid going there at all costs lol.
  • buggrrrl_01
    Options
    I completed BCT this summer with very fine, long hair. I did have some trouble at first with it falling down and my DS threatened to have my head shaved until another female showed me the trick. Gel and lots of it (it's easier with long or no layers). I also had to practice with bobby pins a little more. Now I can go through taking off and putting on my ACH (helmet with straps) all day and still stay in regulation. The time didn't seem to be much of an issue to me. Also, some females would sleep with their hair already put up. One drawback to that was they also risked mildew in their hair.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you go for basic. Ft Jackson is HOT in the summer but the di's are a little easier. If it's Ft. Benning I would not leave a single hair to chance. Other places have their trends too.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    As a guy this decision was made for me.

Your hair just has to be up so it isn't touching your collar. Most of the women that I remember either had it braided or up in some bun that wouldn't come out so they didn't have to mess with it. Also saw a lot of girls come out of basic with corn rows which was unfortunate
  • fae14
    fae14 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just bring the top of a tube sock with you to roll your hair around (same color as your hair if you can find it) and you should be fine. I went in the AF with my hair down to my butt, and I was fine. You'l make friends with the other girls and can help each other catch the stray locks.

However, if you don't want to bother with it, make sure your hair doesn't touch your collar or the tops of your ears. Try looking up the actual regulation on how a female hair should be.

I'm former AF and currently and Army wife. I hear about all this all the time.
  • cubbie_girl
    cubbie_girl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just bring the top of a tube sock with you to roll your hair around (same color as your hair if you can find it) and you should be fine. I went in the AF with my hair down to my butt, and I was fine. You'l make friends with the other girls and can help each other catch the stray locks.

However, if you don't want to bother with it, make sure your hair doesn't touch your collar or the tops of your ears. Try looking up the actual regulation on how a female hair should be.

I'm former AF and currently and Army wife. I hear about all this all the time.

Just a note: There is nothing in AFI 36-2903 that states a female's hair cannot tough the top of her ears. That's a requirement for males only. I haven't studied Army Regulation 670-1 in the same amount of detail as I have the AF reg, but I haven't seen anything about that for the Army females either. Either way, it is a great idea to read over the appropriate reg (or regs, don't know if there are others out there for Army) before making any decisions.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Demi Moore, GI Jane, just sayin'...then again, I don't think there are many women who can pull that off and still be quite that attractive. :wink:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I did some time in the navy and I, personally, cut all of mine off. Well, most of it anyway. It made things so so easy for me.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i have never been in the army, but i did shave my head last year to raise money. best thing ever! i LOVE having short hair and don't think i'll ever have it long again.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    i just cut mine short (sholder length) for enlistment in 2 months :)
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i was in the army and having medium length hair was a PAIN in the *kitten*!!!! everything had to be clipped in and hairnets!! erg
    then i cut it short and well sooooo much easier!!