Cottage Cheese!! (the food lol)

Options

Replies

• mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love sprinkling some Johnny's seasoning salt on mine. I can't buy it here, so have to have it shipped. http://johnnysfinefoods.com/products/seasoning-salts/seasoning-salt-16oz/. If I didn't care too much about my carbs, I'd scoop that up with crackers. But, sigh, I do right now.

I've also added it in equal parts with Greek Yogurt, milk and cottage cheese to a smoothie. Also, fruit and protein powder.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I can't do it! Tried many times. The texture is just awful! Glad you found one you like but I've given up hope! Lol.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions!

I like to swap it out for ricotta in veggie lasagna (I use it for the 'cheese' within the layers - and save shredded stuff for the top.
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    Great ideas! Here I was getting bored with eating it plain.....thanks everyone. Cant wait to try it with the frozen berries!!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I hate the texture and the flavor by itself.

But inside a smoothie - it's amazing, better than greek yogurt. Blended up with onion, garlic, and spices for a vegetable dip.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use full-fat cottage cheese...not much more calories and the taste is way better. Lots of times it has less sugar, too! I love cottage cheese with avocados, I use it as salad dressing on salads, I top it with some cracked pepper and sunflower seeds, or I mix it with some fresh berries.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I mix it with salsa and eat it with pita chips! Plus I like it just with pepper and a pinch of salt! I think I'm addicted to it!! LOL
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I usually stick it on toast...

but I'm bumping this for later - I want to try the icecream :)
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Typically with pineapple or I will dice up a small apple, stick in the microwave for 50 seconds and then mix in cottage cheese and cinammon. It's delicious!
  • keshiabug1
    Options
    Eat it with tuna, peaches, pears, and even pineapple! :) Yum!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Fruit on top-in eggs and pasta for cheesy flavor-in my oatmeal. Also blend it with herbs add a bit plain greek yougurt use for dipping or in place sour cream,mayo etc;-)
  • cbjr1972
    Options
    Of course fresh pepper is always a plus as well as most any fruit like strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, peaches, etc... The small curd is better for beginners as the large curd has a totally different texture(larger).
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have it in my protein shake every morning. 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup fruit and 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Blend. Easily transported to work for breakfast or even to drink in the car on the way.
    What protein powder do you use?
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    my wife puts pineapple in it. I can't stand it myself :(
  • calisunrise
    Options
    honey! it makes cottage cheese taste completely different
  • macknitter
    Options
    I have a great recipe for pasta and chicken sausage with a creamy pumpkin sauce that uses cottage cheese as a replacement for cream. It is SO good.

http://www.throwingspoons.com/2008/10/creamy-pumpkin-goodness.html
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I add 1T of chocolate protein power, 1t almonds, and 1t chocolate chips or a crumbled chocolate oat cake. SO YUM!
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a "breakfast sundae:"
    dice 1/2 banana
    1 scoop (about half cup) cottage cheese
    2 tsp strawberry jam (I make my own low sugar freezer jam - I love it on cottage cheese!)
    and sprinkle granola on top for some crunch.

It's my go-to when my boys are having ice cream sundaes, or when I want something sweet for breakfast with some protien.

I love all these ideas!
  • dexfatpants
    dexfatpants Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a sprinkle of cinnamon & dried cranberries , I also use this to top Ezekiel sprouted grain cinnamon raisin bread. Or make french toast with the cinnamon bread using egg whites & top that with it. You can add honey if you want it sweeter.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Tried it for the first time a couple of weeks back and was surprised that it tasted salty, wasn't expecting that especially since people suggested eating it with fruit.