All the Little People (5"1 and under)

Options
Hi, being short makes weight loss super tough, cuz we need to eat less i and every pound shows up bigger on a smaller person.

what's your height, weight, size, and goal? what is your frame - small, medium, or big boned? what do you think is a reasonable expectation for weight loss? if you've been losing weight or maintaining, how many calories a day are you doing?

i'll start with me:
I am 5". I weigh 180 lbs (been yoying from 160-190 the past 2 years). i am currently size 12-14 US
I have a medium sized bones but am curvy - small waist, huge hips and breasts.
I think, reasonably, if i wanted to lose healthy? 50lbs in a year, and be 130. that i think i could maintain that permanently. lower, i might yoyo again.

i eat approx. 1600 calories a day but would reduce that after i lose more weight.

Replies

• beatricejasper
    Options
    I understand your struggle. I am 5' 3/4" tall. I am at 216 lbs right now. Starting weight battle on Sept 9th. Have lost a total of 25.6 lbs. Yoyo'd myself during the holidays. I have a medium to large bone structure. My weight tends to rest in my shoulders and upper arms. Mid section also. Struggling to stay around 1250-1300 calories.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I too understand your struggle as I am a shorty, too. I am 5' 3/4" well 5'1 and weigh 184 lbs. I am medium structure. I carry most of my weight in my stomach area and struggle to stay at 1250 cals daily. My GW is between 125 - 130 lbs.
  • Louder4
    Louder4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Short stuff here too! 5" 1 here, currently at 148, goal is somewhere around 125 lbs. I always used to think that I had a small frame, but after I had my 4th kid I now think I have a medium build. I am a pear shape, all my extra weight goes right to my hips. I started my officially mfp journey before Christmas, but didn't get my head in the game until after New Years. I am losing, it is just very, very slow. I constantly have to remind myself that it wouldn't be healthy to lose 5+++lbs per week, slow and steady wins the race.
  • cathyenb
    Options
    Short Stuff here too, I'm 5-0 (with a deep breath) Medium build. I am currently 174 down from 224, my goal weight is 125-130. I think it really depends on the muscle weight. I think it could easily vary up to 10 pounds. I'm on the 1200 calorie daily and exercise about 6 days a week.
  • muggs1090
    muggs1090 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also am 60" and about 172. I am looking to be 120-130 range. I havent figured out my cal range, when I stick to 1200 I do good for a few days and then my brain goes haywire and binge. I am thinking I should up my cal to about 1400 and hoping that will keep me more even keel.
  • mats613
    mats613 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    wow, it sounds like the shorties out there need to resort to 1200 - 1300 a day to keep up weight loss. yikes! but the weight loss will be so worth it, that i know. i couldn't possibly eat so little at this point, i guess i'll have to gradually reduce over the next few weeks so my stomach gets used to it and adjusts.

do you feel like you're 'starving' at that caloric level or its fine?

i feel so normal knowing most of us are around 170-180 at least.
    all those itsy pitsy friends that are like "OMG i'm so fat i'm 135 OMG i HAVE to lose this weight' and i'm thinking "DIE!!!!!!" lol.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11, I started at 130 and want to be around 115, I'm down to 123 at the moment. I'd say I'm small framed.

Even at the weight I am now, it's amazing the difference around the waist. Clothes already look better but sure enough, if I gain anything you can tell.
  • mats613
    Options
    I'm 4'11, I started at 130 and want to be around 115, I'm down to 123 at the moment. I'd say I'm small framed.

Even at the weight I am now, it's amazing the difference around the waist. Clothes already look better but sure enough, if I gain anything you can tell.

its probably cuz ur small boned that the little lbs show. that's a whole other challenge, no?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and lose on 1570 cals/day. I'm currently eating for maintenance plus regaining strength after time off due to surgery, and I'm not counting calories for that, just eating healthy food and plenty of protein when I'm hungry.

my main goals are strength based, e.g. being able to bench, deadlift etc very heavy weights. Someone posted a video of different kinds of push-ups, so I added being able to do them to my goal list.

I also want to reduce my body fat percentage (currently 22%, would like it to be 18-20%) and increase my lean body mass (goal = 105lb lean body mass) my weight can be whatever it is when I get there. I'm large framed and have always been stronger than average, so my weight is at the top of the BMI range for my height, and it's staying that way.

being short does mean eating fewer calories than a taller person, but if you're fit, strong and active you can still eat a lot. I used to be obese and I'm now at maintenance, and the lowest number of calories (when I first started losing weight when I was obese and had more to lose) I was eating 1300 cals/day. As I got closer to goal, I upped that to 1400 cals/day then 1500 cals/day. The fat loss got slower, but I wanted to be sure that I was only losing fat, not lean body mass. I currently maintain at around 1800-1900 cals/day, possibly more than that currently as I haven't been tracking my nutrition for a while, but my weight is steady and I eat a LOT.
  • erinmarispini
    erinmarispini Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10...current weight is 165 down from 181. My goal weight is 115. I try and stay around 1200 calories a day. I did the wrist test to find out my body frame and it said I was large boned. I considered myself more medium but whatever....

Anyone please feel free to add me as a friend
  • mats613
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and lose on 1570 cals/day. I'm currently eating for maintenance plus regaining strength after time off due to surgery, and I'm not counting calories for that, just eating healthy food and plenty of protein when I'm hungry.

my main goals are strength based, e.g. being able to bench, deadlift etc very heavy weights. Someone posted a video of different kinds of push-ups, so I added being able to do them to my goal list.

I also want to reduce my body fat percentage (currently 22%, would like it to be 18-20%) and increase my lean body mass (goal = 105lb lean body mass) my weight can be whatever it is when I get there. I'm large framed and have always been stronger than average, so my weight is at the top of the BMI range for my height, and it's staying that way.

being short does mean eating fewer calories than a taller person, but if you're fit, strong and active you can still eat a lot. I used to be obese and I'm now at maintenance, and the lowest number of calories (when I first started losing weight when I was obese and had more to lose) I was eating 1300 cals/day. As I got closer to goal, I upped that to 1400 cals/day then 1500 cals/day. The fat loss got slower, but I wanted to be sure that I was only losing fat, not lean body mass. I currently maintain at around 1800-1900 cals/day, possibly more than that currently as I haven't been tracking my nutrition for a while, but my weight is steady and I eat a LOT.

wow, you packed some really good information into this post. it's good to know you can still lose on 1500 a day, i do think that sounds more reasonable and less daunting.

the truth is its how much fat and how big you are that matters more. like, when i was a size 6 i was 150 lbs and my friend was 120 at that size. some pple have more muscle or heavier bones.

is 18% body fat healthy for women?

how much cardio/strength training do you do a day? i'm curious to know ur activity level.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

wow, you packed some really good information into this post. it's good to know you can still lose on 1500 a day, i do think that sounds more reasonable and less daunting.

the truth is its how much fat and how big you are that matters more. like, when i was a size 6 i was 150 lbs and my friend was 120 at that size. some pple have more muscle or heavier bones.

how much cardio/strength training do you do a day? i'm curious to know ur activity level.

18% is healthy. Even as low as 15% can be healthy if you have strong muscles and bones, do exercise and eat enough to feed your body. Starving yourself down to 15% and ending up with weak bones and muscles and low body fat is not healthy, which is why some people will consider 15% body fat not healthy. It really depends how you get there. It's very difficult for women to sustain body fat levels lower than this, and personally I'm not planning on going that low. Usually the healthy range is quoted as around 18-28%, with younger women being advised to be lower in the range, and older women a little higher in the range. at 15% women who lift heavy usually have muscle definition, e.g. visible abs (although if you starve down to 15% you just look starved), at 18% there's less visible definition but you still look fit and strong. Personally I like both looks (i.e. visible definition or just looking fit and strong without definition) but I'm more focused on being strong than what I look like at the moment.

I don't do much cardio, although I'm quite active, i.e. I walk to places and take the stairs not the lift. I live on the 2nd floor (3rd floor in US English) and often carry my toddler or heavy shopping bags up the stairs instead of taking the lift. I do weightlifting 3-4 times a week, and I lift heavy and to failure. I also like to keep my exercise routines varied, so sometimes I do more cardio, and I also do bodyweight exercises like push-ups along with the weight training.
  • mats613
    Options

18% is healthy. Even as low as 15% can be healthy if you have strong muscles and bones, do exercise and eat enough to feed your body. Starving yourself down to 15% and ending up with weak bones and muscles and low body fat is not healthy, which is why some people will consider 15% body fat not healthy. It really depends how you get there. It's very difficult for women to sustain body fat levels lower than this, and personally I'm not planning on going that low. Usually the healthy range is quoted as around 18-28%, with younger women being advised to be lower in the range, and older women a little higher in the range. at 15% women who lift heavy usually have muscle definition, e.g. visible abs (although if you starve down to 15% you just look starved), at 18% there's less visible definition but you still look fit and strong. Personally I like both looks (i.e. visible definition or just looking fit and strong without definition) but I'm more focused on being strong than what I look like at the moment.

I don't do much cardio, although I'm quite active, i.e. I walk to places and take the stairs not the lift. I live on the 2nd floor (3rd floor in US English) and often carry my toddler or heavy shopping bags up the stairs instead of taking the lift. I do weightlifting 3-4 times a week, and I lift heavy and to failure. I also like to keep my exercise routines varied, so sometimes I do more cardio, and I also do bodyweight exercises like push-ups along with the weight training.

i love that you focus on your health and well-being more than appearance. that's such a positive outlook.

for now, the dream of skinny me is what motivates me. but truth be told, i'd rather be strong and fit at 140 lbs than emaciated and slim at 115.

thank you.
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and losing steadily at ~1700 cals/day. I have a couple goals this year - 1) get to a healthy BMI; 2) run a half marathon; 3) get back to lifting. Once I get down to that healthy BMI (which is 132lbs), I'm going to switch focus and worry about BF% instead of the scale. My goal there is 20%.
  • jbfit2013
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Well, this is kind of embarrassing. I'm a 5'1 GUY! Most of my life I've been teased or have been the basis of many jokes. Throughout the years I've learned to cope with it. I'm at 159 lb. I dropped to 153, but regained 6 lb. and bf% dropped to 17%.

Tall or short... anything is possible!
  • mats613
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and losing steadily at ~1700 cals/day. I have a couple goals this year - 1) get to a healthy BMI; 2) run a half marathon; 3) get back to lifting. Once I get down to that healthy BMI (which is 132lbs), I'm going to switch focus and worry about BF% instead of the scale. My goal there is 20%.

thank you Shannon - how long did it take you to drop those 10 lbs at that level of calorie intake?
  • mats613
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Well, this is kind of embarrassing. I'm a 5'1 GUY! Most of my life I've been teased or have been the basis of many jokes. Throughout the years I've learned to cope with it. I'm at 159 lb. I dropped to 153, but regained 6 lb. and bf% dropped to 17%.

Tall or short... anything is possible!

it's tougher to be short when ur a guy, cuz with girls it can still be cute, but with guys it's a 'status' thing. but guys r allowed to weigh more due to muscles. 17% bf sounds very healthy for a guy
  • neandermagnon
    Options

i love that you focus on your health and well-being more than appearance. that's such a positive outlook.

for now, the dream of skinny me is what motivates me. but truth be told, i'd rather be strong and fit at 140 lbs than emaciated and slim at 115.

thank you.

thank you :flowerforyou: I want to be strong, fit and healthy and looks come 2nd place to that. The bonus is that it's not really an either/or situation, because strong, fit and healthy looks great too.
  • kiannarb
    kiannarb Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"1 at 207 lbs'. And have always struggled with my weight. Most of my weight is in my chest (38 DDD) and my upper body. My goal it to be about 145, a fit, muscular 145. i beleive i can achieve this goal. And when I think about it, its not a lot of weight to loss. its probably something I can do in less than a year, if I try. I feel that would work well with my built. Any less than 130 would probably make me look awkward.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I am not short... or little *crosses arms, puts nose in air with defiance*

I am vertically challanged... or in other words "fun sized"...

At 5'1" I hit my highest weight at 176.... while I desire to lose weight and get back to my lowest of my adult life of 125... I find it hard to keep the motivation...