Blue and Purple Veggies and a Birthday Party?

Options
PBsMommy
PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
My daughter's first birthday is coming up and the hubs and I decided on a rainbow theme birthday party... Well, I decided on a rainbow theme. The hubs just nodded in agreement.

The food is going to be rainbow as well. A fruit tray with rainbow colored fruit is easy.... A tray with rainbow candy? I could do that in my sleep. However, the veggie tray is not coming along so easily!

Maybe ya'll can help...

The first issue is a purple veggie... No one in my family likes eggplants and I don't even like to eat eggplant by itself. So that is kind of out of the question. So I think a purple onion would work, because there are wierdos in my family who like raw onions. But onions like to soak up bacteria when left out correct? So would it even be a good idea to do onions?

The other issue is a blue veggie... Yeah no store in a two hour radius has a blue veggie. So, I was thinking maybe I could dye potatoes with blue food coloring and make blue french fries? Has anyone tried this?

Do you have any other ideas for a blue or purple veggie? I am about at the point where I am going to put blueberries and grapes on the dang veggie tray....

Replies

• DrBentonQuest
    Options
    Purple is easy...head to your local Whole Foods or Wegman's and buy organic carrots. It is only in the last 400 years that carrots have become orange.

Blue is going to be a lot harder to come across. I might suggest blue corn?
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I have seen blue and red french fries, it won't hurt the kids!

And remember, you probably care a lot more about it than the children will. Don't stress!

Edited for spelling
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The closest Whole Foods is about two hours away, IF there is no traffic.... I don't know if the hubs would like driving that far for some carrots... :sad: I might check out the Farmer's Market and see if they have these purple carrots! And Wegman's is a few states away!

I think I am going to experiment with some taters and see if I can pull off some blue french fries...

@hearthemelody - I know they won't care and I am trying not to stress about it... If all else fails I will just throw another blue and green fruit on the veggie tray :laugh:

Funny thing... My sister's sweet 16 party is three weeks before my little sunshine's birthday party and I am planning hers as well with my mom and step-mom... And she DOES care way to much! :grumble: Pink and zebra all the way!
  • tanyakay87
    tanyakay87 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I did a Teletubbies themed party for my 1 year old last year so I feel your pain lol.

For blue/purple, I used black olives. Was as close as I could get to Tinky Winky LOL.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Purple cauliflower. Sometimes they have it in my regular grocery store. I don't have a Whole Foods anywhere near me. There are also potatoes that are naturally blue inside. Red cabbage is actually more purple than red.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    there are potatoes that are blue/purple depending on your eyes. what about adding blue corn chips to the mix? a row of chips in your veggies wont throw the whole theme out would it?
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    There are purple potatoes that I've seen at even the local grocery stores.

I would vote blue corn or dye something blue.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Black olives? I always think they're more purple then black.
  • sarahmoser522
    sarahmoser522 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this personally, but I have read that if you put celery stalks in a cup full of water with food coloring, it will soak up that color. Maybe try that for blue? Good luck!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Purple sprouting Brocolli!
  • sudokumom
    Options
    I've purchased purple potatoes before -- international food market and whole foods. I've used purple carrots too. That color is hard. Good luck!
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Purple cauliflower or carrots. Blue potatoes.
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Olives are a good idea, My grocery stores around me have olive bars will purple olives in there.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Black olives? I always think they're more purple then black.

Most kalamata olives have a purple tint to them
  • IslandRider
    Options
    Red cabbage, it looks more purple to me than red.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    garden-eatin-blue-chips-10988.jpg

TeraBlueChips.jpg

Purple-Foods%5B1%5D.jpg
  • thethinnydiaries
    Options
    Purple cauliflower and blueberries. You can mix it up and add fruit into the mix to make the rainbow even prettier!